Travelling on public transport with a bicycle

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Léo

Post by Léo » August 24, 2011, 12:52 am

Hi to anybody, I'm new to the forum. I would like to know if it's easy to put our bicycles in bus or train (which is more easy ? ) and does that cost a lot or ...?

thank's

stargate
udonmap.com

bycicle in tramsport ?

Post by stargate » August 24, 2011, 8:22 am

no problem traveling with bike on the bus,it will be put in the hold, you may have to pay for the bike, it depends what company you are travelling with. i know nothing about the railway.

fdimike
udonmap.com

bycicle in tramsport ?

Post by fdimike » August 25, 2011, 9:13 pm

Not all buses here in Thailand are capable of transporting a bicycle. Much depends on whether the bus is using a standard diesel engine or is powered by NGV (natural gas). The size of the bus is also a factor as many smaller buses do not have adequate space underneath. There is generally no problem if the bus is large & powered by diesel assuming there is room down below. NGV (natural gas) powered buses have their gas tanks in the same area as the luggage compartment would normally be. There may or may not be room for a bike. It's my understanding that this is a group of about 3 traveling together which would certainly complicate matters finding a bus to carry the 3 bikes.

There is also the possibility of placing the bike(s) inside the rear of the bus assuming there is room.

There should be no problem transporting a bike on the train for a fee. Normally they place the bike in the baggage compartment car.

hangsaboot
udonmap.com

bycicle in tramsport ?

Post by hangsaboot » August 26, 2011, 4:33 pm

fdimike wrote:Not all buses here in Thailand are capable of transporting a bicycle..
on the long distance buses , no problem,
i have seen scooters in the underneath baggage hold on the udon - bkk bus .

however, the local cattle class buses normally become full ,
i think you may have a problem , putting your bike in the passenger isle , on these buses.

trains , mie penrhie,
LOL :D

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » August 26, 2011, 5:50 pm

As I said in my previous post trying to find room for a bike or 3 bikes could be a problem even on the long distance buses. Buses which run on NGV (natural gas) have their fuel tanks in the luggage area under the bus which limits what can be carried in that area. You may encounter a problem even if you remove the front wheel depending on how crowded the bus is There shouldn't be a problem (assuming space is available) on a diesel powered bus because their fuel tank is not located in the luggage area, and even then they may ask you to remove the front wheel. Charges to carry a bike will probably vary by company, time of the year (holiday or normal day), and destination but you can expect to pay a fee.

Return to “Travel & Transport”