food stuffs in hand luggage ?

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
martynsnowman
udonmap.com

Post by martynsnowman » January 15, 2012, 11:48 am

does any1 know if and what food stuff you can carry onboard planes in your hand luggage ? i know liquids are a no,no
but how about tinned foods and dried foods ? ( only asking as i hate to waste my allowance and you can get a good few tins of cornbeef and instant smash in 7.5 kg,s ) thanks .

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 15, 2012, 12:04 pm

Here are the UK rules martyn.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTr ... /DG_078179

They are, after all 'airport' rules rather than 'aircraft carrier' rules. The air line don't check what you carry on, only airport security.
The rules do not appear to disallow tins of corned beef or packages of mashed potato, but, personally I wouldn't put them into carry on luggage as I think it is a question just dying to be asked.
If you are unfortunate enough to be trying to board while they are at the height of a security alert then you will undoubtedly have the potential to answer many questions.. :D
If you want to use all you allowances then, personally, I would swap the tins & packets with a couple of pairs of jeans out of my case & put the tins into the hold & the jeans into the overhead locker. Far less room for confusion that way, I think... :D

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » January 15, 2012, 9:32 pm

The wife always carries a lot of dried fish back with her, no problem. They will not allow dried meats and no produce

fussychunk
udonmap.com

Post by fussychunk » January 15, 2012, 10:13 pm

I carry any food stuff in my main luggage...mashed potatoes... 'Now what is this white powder sir?'

There was one recently were a woman carrying some cakes with icing on caused a security scare.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 15, 2012, 10:26 pm

But if it is your main luggage then no one in the UK would look at it, the only possibility would be customs in BKK.
If you carry it in carry on then UK will certainly see it, plus you have an equal chance that Thai officials will see it where ever it is...

stargate
udonmap.com

Post by stargate » January 16, 2012, 11:28 am

if you are thinking of bringing cans of corned beef then i would put them in your hold luggage. if you had small tins of pate in your hand luggage then no problem, if you had tins of corned beef i can hear security tell you if you threw one on the plane it could cause a lot of damage so the cans are confiscated.this might sound stupid i think security do not want to make any mistakes. plus i would not like my bag of cans falling out of the overhead locker on to me.

kumphawapi
udonmap.com

Post by kumphawapi » January 18, 2012, 10:57 am

Cans containing liquid should not be in hand luggage. But fruit isn't a problem in its own skin.

lepidoptra
udonmap.com

Post by lepidoptra » January 18, 2012, 4:12 pm

kumphawapi wrote:Cans containing liquid should not be in hand luggage
Well that's news :shock:
I'm also not sure if fruit is permitted. skin or no skin. Of course I stand corrected. Some google sites say yes, some say no.
Probably a bit like immigration you never know till you get there. :D

Return to “Travel & Transport”