Udonthani to Bang Saeng Chonburi

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
marshbags
udonmap.com

Post by marshbags » February 4, 2012, 8:39 am

Has anyone done the route to Bang Sarang ( other side of Chonburi city ) recently and could offer the way to get there please.

Any other helpful advice, time on the road ect. would also be appreciated .

Thanks in advance.

marshbags ;)

douglas
udonmap.com

Udonthani to Bang Sariang Chonburi

Post by douglas » February 4, 2012, 10:37 am

Hi,
Did a trip down to Pattaya. went by Chon Buri.
Take the A2 to Nakhon Ratchasima, or as i call it Korat. Do not go into town, go on the bypass, well signposted, and get of the A2 and go onto the A304. dual carriageway. This takes you over the mountains, you get a great view. This road will take you into Chon Buri. Don't know how long, I kept to the speed limit, 2 speed traps going over the mountain, and took just over 7 hours to get to Patts. so it should take you under six hours, to Chon Buri.
Hope this helps,
Doug.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 4, 2012, 10:59 am

mb I drove to Sri Racha (between Chonburi and Pattaya) recently.

My strong recommendation for route is via Saraburi, and then the Motorway - tolls are are about ฿130, but it is an easier drive, with far less traffic (on the Motorway).

The alternative route via the mountains and Kabin Buri is OK until you hit highway 304, which is now a bone jarring horror (in my Vigo, at least). You will also hit more police stops on this route.

Both routes will be 6- 7 hours, plus stops.

marshbags
udonmap.com

Post by marshbags » February 4, 2012, 5:17 pm

Hope I do not sound thick Jack :roll:

What route to follow from Udon to Saraburi please ?

I may be carrying 2 dogs ( pets ) and would like to stop somewhere between for food and water, maybe even stay overnight if it is considered a long journey for them.

Thanks.

Also thanks to you Douglas for you input which I will save for future reference.

marshbags ;)

Peterplay
udonmap.com

Post by Peterplay » February 4, 2012, 5:50 pm

Marsh, I don't wanna sound facetious, but when you're not even sure how to drive to Saraburi (hop on the 2 and you're there after 5 hours) isn't it time to purchase a decent map ?

It also shows you how to go via KabinBuri, easy and nice road. I really wonder where the bonejarring stretch is :-k .

I drive the distance a number of times every year and since most of it has become a 4 lane road, it's just a pleasant drive. Only on the two 2-lanes stretches you've got to be patient sometimes, but they are short.

marshbags
udonmap.com

Post by marshbags » February 5, 2012, 7:45 am

A map does not show recent changes re traffic problems ect.

Nor does it provide you with recent experiences relating to the jouney I have to make.

It shows you how to get from A to B and basics only.

Thanks for your post Peter which I feel sure is not meant to appear sarcastic in some of it,s content.

marshbags ;)

marshbags
udonmap.com

Post by marshbags » February 5, 2012, 8:22 am

Hiya Jack

Sorry to go off topic but didn,t realise you had a recent health check done.

Just noticed you had a colon check done at Udon hospital.

Pleased it went well and hope you have recovered from the pain....no pain reducing pre treatment :shock: ....Kin hells bells.

I hope also you get a positive result whne you go back and thanks for your input more so considering what you went through.

marshbags ;)

P.S. brings back memories of having plymouth argiles check and treatment some years ago. :yikes:

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 5, 2012, 8:26 am

mb can you confirm the name of the place you are travelling to in Chon Buri.

I have googled Bang Sariang, Ban Sarang and several other combinations, and come up blank.

ps thanks for your kind thoughts.

marshbags
udonmap.com

Post by marshbags » February 5, 2012, 4:25 pm

Sorry Jack, perhaps my reference to sounding thick should read am thick :lol:

I was lead to believe it was Bang Saraing / Bang Sarang ?

It,s actually Bang Saen but is as the OP states the other side of Chonburi and before Sriracha, maybe you passed it on your recent trip there.

Let us hope it,s the good news we all want for you Jack, re the colonoscopy.

marshbags ;)

Peterplay
udonmap.com

Post by Peterplay » February 5, 2012, 5:23 pm

Marsh, as long as somebody doesn't know me and can't see my eyes, I try to keep irony and sarcasm away from my communication.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 5, 2012, 6:01 pm

mb, click on this:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Mittr ... =9&t=m&z=9

It should bring up a map, with a blue line showing the route. On the left of the page you should also see an alternative route, which you can either hover on, or click. Neither route involves Hwy 304, and the AH12 is far preferred.

You will also see the turn by turn directions for whichever route you choose.

You can print the directions (see the "Printer" box - top left), and also print the map (or relevant parts of it - zoom in or out) by using the browser print function.

I used this several times for different trips in Thailand, before I simplified my life by getting a GPS. :D

Good luck.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 5, 2012, 6:15 pm

Further to the above, you will need to zoom in and out, using either the bar on the map, or the scroll button on your mouse.

If you really want to have fun (and have a decent internet connection), click on the "3D" button, and follow the route. :D

marshbags
udonmap.com

Post by marshbags » February 6, 2012, 6:29 am

Peterplay wrote:Marsh, as long as somebody doesn't know me and can't see my eyes, I try to keep irony and sarcasm away from my communication.
No probs. Peter and thanks again for your input.

Like yourself and many others I also believe that useless confrontational observations on any forum is wasted and negative to say the least.

A one time reply lets others know where you are coming from and if there is any mischief, hopefully it nips it in the bud.

Might as well talk to the wall and listen to the echo.

marshbags ;)

marshbags
udonmap.com

Post by marshbags » February 6, 2012, 7:10 am

jackspratt wrote:mb, click on this:

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Mittr ... =9&t=m&z=9

It should bring up a map, with a blue line showing the route. On the left of the page you should also see an alternative route, which you can either hover on, or click. Neither route involves Hwy 304, and the AH12 is far preferred.

You will also see the turn by turn directions for whichever route you choose.

You can print the directions (see the "Printer" box - top left), and also print the map (or relevant parts of it - zoom in or out) by using the browser print function.

I used this several times for different trips in Thailand, before I simplified my life by getting a GPS. :D

Good luck.

Worthy of a re quote I reckon Jack.

A great response once again and thanks for researching it for me. =D>

Should other members wish to use this route or indeed for any other trip they can use the facility you kindly posted for me.

Cheers

marshbags ;)

marshbags
udonmap.com

Post by marshbags » February 8, 2012, 7:55 am

When is the best time to travel from Udon traffic wise, especially on reaching Bangkok to avoid to much congestion ( if possible ) please.

I will be going on a full tank of fuel ( DMax 3.0 ) and wonder if there is a convenient stop, possibly Korat or after where I can re fuel and let the dogs and me stretch our legs ect.

I don,t mind admitting I,m a novice when it comes to journeys over 2 hours here as I never had the need to go any further and always fly if at all possible when I visit Bangkok ect.

( Transporting the 2 dogs make this option a non starter.)

The help of those who have replied is therefore much appreciated and Jacks recent experiences and researched Google directions that a can print off a real asset in relieving my apprehensions.

Many thanks

marshbags =D> :wink:

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » February 9, 2012, 2:56 pm

Hi,
Jack, i have done the 304 route many time, the last was last year. Never had any trouble with the road etc. The 304 connects to HW2 West of Korat and goes over the mountains. The route in 2005 was a bit bumpy due to them constructing a duel carrageway over the montains on the 304. This took a few years to complete, but as of last year was a great ride. Before this route was single carraigeway from Pak Thong Chai to Kabin Buri, but over the years it has turned into a duel carrageway. When you get onto the 304 at Korat, you stay on it until you come to the 314 this will take you to HW3 which will take you into Chon Buri.
I last did this trip 4 months ago, to Pattaya, Took me just over 7 hours driving. I went on to the Toll way 7 from the 314. You should make C.B. in under six hours driving, keeping to the speed limil. And will not be caught in a speed trap if you do this.
I first tried the route through Sara Buri years ago on HW2 to HW1 and then on the tollways 9 and then 7. Found this to take about 1 and a half hours longer, and costs more in fuel and tolls. So always go the mountain way now.
Marshbags. Please let us have a trip report and let us know how you get on, no matter which route you take.
Thanks Doug.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 9, 2012, 4:41 pm

@mb - I generally leave first thing in the morning, which gets me/us to Korat around lunch time. I have found the best place to stop is one of the large PTT service stations, which will have fuel (obviously), good toilets, plus a selection of food - either Thai, or from the ubiquitous 7/11s. They are generally well signposted, plus they have very high signs which are visible for some distance before.

@ douglas - my last trip along 304 was in last month. The Vigo was pretty loaded up, so that undoubtedly affected the ride - which was terrible. As the old saying goes, YMMV. :D

singtoo

Post by singtoo » April 12, 2012, 1:54 am

Last time i visited Khorat since a long time again.
Mostly I do not come much further than halfway Pak Chong and Khorat city.
Simply because I turn left to the family.
But this time I wanted to visit Khorat city ones again.
When I am in Thailand I live in Chonburi.
And I wanted to drive a different road than i do usually from PakChong back to Chonburi.
So I found out by my Mia Noi (Garmin GPS) about the 304 just past our Hotel in the city Khorat.
So I decided to go back to Chonburi by the 304.
And I did find this a pleasant trip.
Indeed there is a lard of police checkpoints.
But I did experienced that as positive.
I noticed that the police checks did have a positive effect on the Thai driving style.
I for shore will use the 304 road again when going up to Khorat.

Return to “Travel & Transport”