SRT double tracking BKK-Nong Khai route?

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 22, 2014, 4:57 pm

yes, having the new rail line come through the center of Udon would be "convenient" but probably a nightmare for the unguarded grade crossings and buildings needing demolition to add a dual track roadbed to the current 1 meter gauge line (also due to be dual-tracked). So, if they built the track 20km west of Udon center, while it might not be walkably convenient, it certainly would still be conveniently close to the city via bus, taxi, lot-doo, songtaew, et al. The same would apply equally in Khon Khaen and Khorat. Putting the new rail right of way west of those cities would make contruction faster, simpler (less buildings to condemn) and allow building of a complete railway station interchange with highway linkage and perhaps even a light rail or Skytrain solution to get into each cities' downtown area.

But, unless my eyes deceive me, its going to take some heavy duty construction work for the Chinese to get their own rail connectivity down through southern China to the Lao border and another 300 or so kilometers with hundreds of tunnels and cuttings to get to Vientiane.. Then, add a heavy duty dual tracked rail bridge across the Mekong... Five years.. Maybe, if everything clicks perfectly...

Dave

countrybumpkin

Post by countrybumpkin » November 22, 2014, 5:45 pm

parrot wrote:We were in Non Takai a few weeks ago......I took a photo of the stacks of rails. A villager told me: The rail is delivered to Thailand from China. It's trucked up from the port in Bangkok. At Non Takai, several 25m lengths (I think 3) are welded together (using a special machine). The resulting 75m lengths are then sent by special rail car to be put down as new track. The end result will be a dual track from Nongkai to BKK.

I asked the villager who we've known for years his opinion of the prospects of the Potash mine. He gave it little to no chance of operating in his lifetime. JHHO.

Another interesting thing about the new track. The rail ties are all made of cement.....wood is too expensive/difficult to obtain.

A monster of a big project.......it must be in the multi-billions of baht......the only improvement being a double track. Same old slow trains!
Nong Takai is my wife's home village. I was there for a couple of weeks in April and will be back at the end of December. Two years ago there was a hive of activity, bit since then I've seen little (if any) progress at all on the railway. I'll be interested to see if any has been made in the last 8 months.........

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 23, 2014, 8:12 am

my conjecture was incorrect. It wasn't the double-tracking project but a re-tracking project where SRT was laying new roadbed, putting down concrete sleepers and installing new rails. That project from Nong Khai to Khorat (at least) appears to be completely finished along with installation of new level road crossings too..

Another conjecture was that the Nong Takai rail siding project would be part of the Potash mining start-up.. That remains to be seen.. Parrot posted information and graphics showing the "Udon South" mine would be established just north of Nong Takai village east of the railway and with leeching ponds and yards extending into the open fields northeast of Nong Takai village.. His last posting on it included a clipping from the BKK Post which said it would open after the last Environmental Impact Assessment some time around the end of 2014.. I've driven through the area many times and seen no indication of any construction in support of the mining project in that area.. I do see a large industrial facility with massive warehouses just east of Udon which photo comparison shows might possibly be a small minehead for the "Udon North" potash fields...
20141019_134937.jpg
Yet another potential project in the Nong Takai area is the planned Udon "outer ring" road that graphics show probably looping east and west off the Friendship Highway right about where the Nong Takai village road goes in from Rte 2 (Freindship Highway).. This is a long term plan evidently but who knows, when they start bulldozing we'll know its started..
264518_511450105581617_1519935579_n.jpg
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: SRT double tracking BKK-Nong Khai route?

Post by parrot » March 21, 2017, 9:20 am

Looks like double track, much less high speed rail won't happen in our life time
http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... -rail-plan

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » May 21, 2021, 4:27 pm

here's an update on the KK to Nong Khai dual tracking project. EIA done.. no listed completion schedule in the video. It does say the contract will include the Thai=China high speed rail too.. So, I'm betting a large elevated viaduct from north of Udon through the city and descending to grade about 3km south of where the current rails cross the east side Ring Road.
It also includes the new railway from Phrae up to Chiang Rai and Chiang Khong which is scheduled for completion in 2571 and the new rail system from Ban Phai (south of KK) through Maha Sarakham, Roiet, the northern tip of Yasothon, to Mukdaha and terminating in Nakhon Phanom scheduled for completion 2569..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7ozfxjCs0g
Dave

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » May 21, 2021, 4:40 pm

deeper into this video the narrator shows an overhead view of the current Friendship Bridge at Nong Khai. The view shows a planned 3 track bridge (2 SGR 1 one meter) between Lao and Thai. The narrator states an MOA is done already. It will carry the Thai-Lao-China high speed rail and the one meter gauge SRT track that currently crosses on the vehicle bridge and terminates at Thanleng Station. Currently the SRT one meter track is being extended a bit over 8km to near That Luang.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zenfaj0mGo
Dave

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » December 15, 2021, 8:57 am

This is from Nimda Variety a month ago. It covers what appears to be planning approval for the SRT KK to Nong Khai dual tracking project as well as the Khorat to Nong Khai High speed rail project. It shows conceptual drawings and diagrams of each train station to include Udon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwwKKu_kPTc
Dave

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 15, 2021, 9:10 am

Without my looking at the YT, is there any indication where all the containers will he transferred from the Chinese trains to the Thai trucks? Train stations suggest where people get on and off. Earlier (and other) posts suggest an Udon railway "bypass"? There's that huge industrial estate being prepped just down the Mitrapharp which I understand will be straddled by the existing railway line and the hypothetical hi-speed one? I am sure Udon and KK will be fighting hard to get the freight yards more than the commuter stations.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » December 15, 2021, 11:33 am

The official opening and the first train trip has happened.
Good looking train.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » December 15, 2021, 2:50 pm

Info on the Thaiger yesterday about Thailand buying a load of 40 year old trains from Japan, some of which are "earmarked" for the UT/NK/Vientiane route

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » December 15, 2021, 6:39 pm

The Thanalang Logistics yard on Laos just north of the Friendship Bridge is now operational. This yard will allow transfer of 20 and 40 foot containers from freight flat cars coming down from China either to trucks or to a parallel meter gauge track that goes back across the Friendship Bridge to Nong Khai and onwards down the SRT tracks.. SRT put up a video over a week ago showing a 40 car train carrying 2 X 20 foot containers per car heading from Laam Chabaeng up the SRT railway to Nong Khai and over to Thanalang for onward transfer/shipment to China. So, the route is there although with only a single track from Khon Khaen to NongKhai that is rather a chokepoint.

Nong Khai has a large switching/freight yard a few kilometers south of Nong Khai station located here: https://www.google.co.th/maps/@17.84574 ... !1e3?hl=en
Streetview: https://www.google.co.th/maps/@17.84569 ... 6656?hl=en

within Udon the main rail station has multiple tracks for shunting freights. Also just north of the ring road on the south side is a freight yard of sorts although neither have the overhead lifting cranes for rapid transfer of containers onto trucks.. https://www.google.co.th/maps/@17.37195 ... !1e3?hl=en
street view of the Nong Khon Kwang switching/freight yard from streetview: https://www.google.co.th/maps/@17.37491 ... 6656?hl=en

There is a rudimentary freight yard at Nong Ta Kai about 20km south of Udon where Mitr Phon Sugar Factory (south of Khumpawapi on Rte 2) loads containers of sugar onto flat cars using large fork lifts... no loading docks.. It is touted as SRT as a freight point for the new industrial area a couple of kilomters away.
Why they aren't already building spurs into the new industrial area is unknown. https://www.google.co.th/maps/@17.26819 ... !1e3?hl=en

streetview shot of the Nong Takai freight yard: https://www.google.co.th/maps/@17.26564 ... 8192?hl=en
Dave

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 15, 2021, 9:47 pm

The current Udon Thani freight yard has one (1) container-handling fork lift. The ungraded red dirt where it mostly operates doesn't really constitute a freight-handling yard. The huge, concrete-surfaced but largely unused parking lot immediately behind the station is another example of SRT cluelessness and greed. Looks like maybe UD Town couldn't afford the parking lot rent any more?

The facility "north of the ring road on the south side" without any sort of container handling is nothing more than a large, rural siding.

Any expansion of SRT's sugar-loading facility south of town is probably also hampered by SRT's exorbitant rental rates.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » December 16, 2021, 10:19 am

SRT makes no money on passenger operations, loses bunches.. I'm not sure on their freight operations. However, the land it "owns" throughout the country as part of their rail right of ways is a cash cow. I'm sure UD Town, on land owned by the SRT is profitiable. In the US, it seems that any large industrial area anywhere near a railway has rail spurs into it. Frankly, I'm surprised that the giant Mitr Phon sugar refinery south of the Khumpawapi turn off didn't have its own rail spur years ago. Kinda short-sighted on the part of SRT... Instead the company has to truck containers to the Nong Takai freight yard sidings that is at least 30-40 kilomters north of the factory.

The SRT though does have concurrent dual-tracking projects throughout Thailand.. The one from Saraburi with thre tunnels, one kilomters long and a viaduct up to 50 meters high near Muak Lek aren't small projects.. The dual tracking from Khorat to KK was finished a couple of years ago with all new stations and a modern frieght yard at Ban Phai. The new railway from Ban Phai to Roiet-Mukdahan-Nakhon Phanom is funded although I'm not sure when construction will beign.. The down side on the dual tracking projects is the relatively slow pace and changing completion dates...
Dave

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 16, 2021, 11:23 am

Maybe K. Mitr Phol and K. SRT Boss already have an agreement where the 'rent' does get paid to 'someone' hence no need for the SRT to build anything extra... or get any money from Mitr Phol and thus they remain perpetually broke. Maybe the sugar trucking company that Mitr Phol uses belongs to a K. SRT Boss family member?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » April 11, 2022, 10:18 am

latest update I can find on the dual tracking project KK to Nong Khai. To start next year and finish in 3. This will include elevating the rails through Udon city and a brand new train station. So, you think the ring road is a mess? Wait till they start building the elevated from north of Rte 2 where the current rail grade corssing is located and the entire train station build down town. Nong Bua will be a traffic nightmare!! :shock: . I wonder if they'll consolidate the high speed construction pillars with the dual tracking? Nah, that'd make too much sense. Info on the segment at 2:20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8ipv7pb7tM&t=257s
Dave

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » April 11, 2022, 10:50 am

note the video mentions that for Udon the "logistics center" will be a Ban Nong Ta Kai about 15 kilometers south of Udon and about 500 meters southwest of the new Industrial Park. Converting the current small railyard to a logistics center will mean a lot of concrete and some bridges to cross the north and southside tracks as well as a four lane road into the area for truck traffic. Here's Khon Kaen's Tha Phra logistics center sat view on Google Maps. https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Tha ... 3798?hl=en
Dave

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 13, 2023, 12:13 pm

seems like thye budget will get approved and we'll see movement on it by next June.. This is all bumping up against the completed Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) which supposedly has an expiration date.. I wonder if the construction will start at KK and move northward or be multiple contracts along the entire route as they've done with the Saraburi-Khorat construction which is almost done. The Udon Thani elevated train station will impact UD Town and the Night Market big time, probably for well over a year.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... l-upgrades
Dave

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 13, 2023, 1:41 pm

Whatever the impact , it will soon be time to plan routes in and around Udon to miss out on the traffic hold-ups as we have all learnt from recent construction, the Motorist or the Public are not high on the list to be taken care of rather the opposite

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 14, 2023, 5:43 pm

but on the more positive side, when its done, at least according to the preliminary drawings, the Train Station will be elevate with SRT on the 2nd level and the HSR on the 3rd. Underneath will be a small roundabout that links both to the west and to the east towards Nong Bua. That will give connectivity to the road on the south that parallels the tracks and always has cars jamming up the flow of traffic. Perhaps, if logic prevails that side road at the current SRT rail crossing will be blocked.. If the current ground level SRT single track is removed that will also allow east/west connection of many, now dead end roads and assist traffic flow in the city..
Dave

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 16, 2023, 6:34 pm

original announcement was in Thai. pardon the imperfect Google Translation:

Khon Kaen - Nong Khai 167 km, win through the Cabinet tomorrow, October 16.
*The first phase 2 dual-track railway was built next year in the 70s.
*All stations are ground level & sky level.14 Km.
*Department of Rail revises 7-year EIA memory does not expire
Mr. Pichet Kunathammarak The Director-General of the Department of Rail Transport told "Daily News Transport Innovation Team" that tomorrow (Oct. 16), the Ministry of Transport will propose a dual-track railway construction project. Phase 2 Khon Kaen - Nong Khai 167 kilometers (km) with 29,748 million baht of State Railway of Thailand (SRT) to the meeting of the Cabinet of Ministers for consideration.
This is the first line of the dual-track railway construction project. Phase 2 of 7 routes, totaling 1,483 km, according to the Rapid Transit Action Plan B.E. 2560 (Action Plan) to drive the country's infrastructure investment in accordance with Thailand's Transport Infrastructure Development Plan B.E. 2558-2565.
Mr. Pichet said that the Khon Kaen-Nong Khai SRT The feasibility study and detailed design have been completed since last month. Apr 59 By the National Environment Board (KGL) Approval of Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Report in October 61 and notification of the resolution in January 62
Then a month. NOV64 The Cabinet resolved to expedite the implementation of the project, which is considered an important policy that must drive concrete results. Jan-Feb 65 Propose to the Ministry of Transport for approval to request the opinion of the agency before submitting the request for opinion to the Budget Office, Ministry of Finance and the Office of the National Economic and Social Development Council (NESDB).
In March 65 The Budget Office returned the matter due to lack of details of the draft decree. Determine the boundaries of land in the area to be expropriated together with a record of principles and reasons for drafting the Act in April 65. to the Bureau of the Budget for consideration.
and months JUL65 The NESDB approved the project. Feb66 The Ministry of Transport provides To allow the Budget Office to submit an opinion for the consideration of the Cabinet until March 66. The Budget Office approves SRT to implement the project.
In June 66, the There is a letter to send the results of the examination of the boundary line map at the end of the draft Act. To consider and approve the proposed project to the Ministry of Transport and inform that the Company has adjusted the material information and project details.
Then a month. Aug 66 SRT Inform that the current criteria related to the calculation of construction prices have been reviewed in accordance with the letter of the Comptroller General.
month September 66 The proposal was processed for approval. Transport Minister considers signing a draft letter to the Secretary-General and has been included on the agenda of the Cabinet.
Mr. Pichet said that the Khon Kaen-Nong Khai dual track connecting the Jira-Khon Kaen dual track is a 153 km ground level railway and 2 elevated railways 14 km with 14 stations, 6 new stations.
Renovation of 8 existing train stations, 4 bus stops, all high platforms. There are 3 container storage areas (CY): Non Sa-at, Nong Takai, and Natha Station.
Project 184 rai of land will be expropriated, all current level railway intersections will be abolished, 31 overpass roads, 53 underpass roads and fences will be constructed along the railway line.
Mr. Pichet also said that if the Cabinet approves the project, it is expected that the SRT It will take time to prepare a draft scope of work (TOR). Medium price and tender 7 months, completed month Apr67 Construction starts in a month. MAY 67 Construction took 3 years and was completed in April 70.
Although the EIA has been approved since 61, which has completed 5 years of the requirement to propose to the Cabinet within 5 years, it has not expired because the EIA will expire. If the project does not progress at all, after the EIA has been approved by the KGW.

https://www.facebook.com/TransportDaily ... FM19AjSi1l
________
Dave

Return to “Travel & Transport”