From Udon Thani airport to Vientiane

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » June 26, 2012, 9:27 am

I have just received the following email. I've never used the airport shuttle or bus so I can't really give him that much information. If any of you guys could help it would be appreciated.

Q. Hello, We will arrive with flight FD3364 at 5.15 pm in July. My question: We are a family with 2 children. Is is possible to travel to Vientiane the same day? How much time do we need?? Sincerely

A. I believe you can take a shuttle bus from Udon airport to the Laos border (50 minutes) Once you have crossed the border you can take a taxi to Vientiane (30 minutes).

Q. Hi, thank you for your rapid answer! The question is: is there a shuttle bus at that time? At what time is the shuttle bus leaving? Can we still catch the bus? Thank you in advance! Best wishes

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 26, 2012, 10:24 am

As far as I understand Lee the shuttle bus services Nong Khai, rather than being to the bridge.
It could well drop off at the bridge, but I am unsure on that point.
As to when the shuttle leaves....That rather depends on what flights are arriving.
If they land at 5:15 & the next flight lands at 7.00 then the bus will depart as soon as passengers have cleared baggage collection. If though there is a flight landing at 5:45 then they would undoubtedly wait for that to land & clear baggage before they drove off...
I think that someone would need to physically go to the limo stand when it was open & ask the question to get a definitive answer...

Personally after an International travel of 12ish hours, an airport wait & 1 hour flight to Udon & then the prospect of probably another 2 hours till Vientiane is something that I would not entertain with two kids...enough is enough..
I would be looking to sleep somewhere near Swampy & then set off at a reasonable time the next day to Laos..
I think that the journey can be done, with a following wind, but I wouldn't try it. The added disadvantage at the moment is that I understand Swampy is experiencing delays with flights due to the airport resurfacing. I believe that the bridge closes at 8 so you don't need much of a delay to end up at a shut bridge with no hotel nearby to stay in.
I would do it if traveling alone, but with a wife & 2 kids...No way!! Better to plan for disaster & stay in BKK I think.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » June 26, 2012, 10:54 am

can one fly from BBK to Vientianne nowadays..that would save alot of hassles

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » June 26, 2012, 11:03 am

I will answer my own question..
yes Lao Airlines flys direct to several places in Laos, and you can book online ...so if this joker is just passing thru Udon, then I would just fly into BBK and onto Laos from there, six flights on some days, 2 return, 17 per week..why trapsie all the way up country dragging the tired kids when you can spend a night in BBK and fly up next day...?

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » June 26, 2012, 11:19 am

Thanks for the info Bob. I will forward the airport telephone number to him so he can confirm the times himself.

I'm not sure why he doesn't fly direct maaka, it would seem like a more sensible solution.

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » June 26, 2012, 11:25 am

Does the boarder stay open all night?

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » June 26, 2012, 12:06 pm

Bob says it Closes at 8pm ...

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 26, 2012, 12:42 pm

I have previously been told that the Laos side shuts at 8.00 pm.
I have not verified that myself personally though.
I would. however, think that in the early evening even if the border was open that taxis to the capital would be at a minimal level & probably charge rather more than the 'going rate' during the day.
I can only repeat that for the cost of a hotel near Swampy I wouldn't entertain attempting this with 2 kids in tow...

Return to “Travel & Transport”