Can I take my car across the bridge to Laos?

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
arjay
udonmap.com

Can I take my car across the bridge to Laos?

Post by arjay » October 10, 2005, 2:48 pm

Does anyone have any knowledge (or experience of) whether I am able to take my (Thai registered) car across the bridge to Laos, (Ventianes), for a few days? If so, is it easy to arrange and how does one go about it? Or is it too impractical to be worth the hassle?

It is in my name and I have all the registration documentation, but of course cannot read it and don't know what is what.

Thanks

Bump
udonmap.com

Re: Can I take my car across the bridge to Laos?

Post by Bump » October 10, 2005, 3:48 pm

arjay wrote:Does anyone have any knowledge (or experience of) whether I am able to take my (Thai registered) car across the bridge to Laos, (Ventianes), for a few days? If so, is it easy to arrange and how does one go about it? Or is it too impractical to be worth the hassle?

It is in my name and I have all the registration documentation, but of course cannot read it and don't know what is what.

Thanks
Yes you can how exactly it is doen I have no idea, but I think you have to go thier consulate in Korat or Khan Kean to complete the paper work a far as I know. Well that exhaust my overwhemling knowledge on the subjest sorrry I couldn't be of more help just know it can be done.

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » October 11, 2005, 10:54 am

Can be done but no one i know does it,not even local business people.I believe it's a combination of huge fees (4000/5000 Baht) and a need to take out Laos car insurance to drive in the country.Way too much hassle.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » October 11, 2005, 2:59 pm

OK, Thanks for your input. My own sources have said much the same, - that technically it's possible, but not worth the hassle.

I am told there is a secure car park at the small bus station near the bridge, and it's better to leave it there, take the mini-bus across and then do whatever on the otherside.

Thanks

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » October 11, 2005, 5:37 pm

businessman wrote:Can be done but no one i know does it,not even local business people.I believe it's a combination of huge fees (4000/5000 Baht) and a need to take out Laos car insurance to drive in the country.Way too much hassle.
I agree, definitly not worth the hassles for a few days. I followed an aquaintant's trip with interest last month, he used one of the agents near the Friendship Bridge to handle the paper work took 2 days and with insurance cost him around 10K. Could only get a visa for 7 days, that is the maximum for a farang owning the car, I believe the visa period is longer for a Thai in his/her vehicle. The roads were extremely bad and there drivers are worse than the Thais (if that is possible).
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » October 13, 2005, 7:33 am

With all the hassle involved, with taking your wheels to Laos would it be cheaper to rent a car in Laos, or a car with a driver. A 7 day visa for a farang resident in Thailand seems a bit stingy.

Tony
Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

businessman
udonmap.com

Post by businessman » October 13, 2005, 12:49 pm

Tony if you go the "rent a car" route you can get the standard fifteen day visa at the border.

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » October 14, 2005, 1:43 am

Prenders88 wrote:With all the hassle involved, with taking your wheels to Laos would it be cheaper to rent a car in Laos, or a car with a driver. A 7 day visa for a farang resident in Thailand seems a bit stingy.

Tony
I knew I had seen something on what the proceedure wa to do this, is from a bike forum I imagine most things would be the same, hope it helps

In early June, I took my bike across into Laos via Nong Khai. Still fairly easy to do without an agent. But, my bike is Thai registered in my name.

On the Thai side, the first stop is the Immigration booth. There, your passport is stamped for exiting Thailand. The officer then fills out 2 copies of the T2 document regarding the temporary export of the bike.

Next stop is the Customs booth. There, they keep one copy of the T2 form, and fill out a different one - again, for the temporary export.

The last stop is the booth at the bridge, where they check your passport and papers. Total time - about 10 minutes. No fees are charged.

The Lao side takes about 90 minutes. You can get visa on arrival at the bridge. Cost is $30 USD, $31 on weekends. You then fill out the entry form and get stamped in.

Next stop is upstairs to Room 6. There, the girl takes you to Room 5, where the director signs the form giving you permission to enter. He now can give you up to 2 weeks, and gave me 15 days to be safe. Just remember that the day you enter is the first day of the permit. 2 weeks means 13 days later, not 14.

Then back to Room 6, where the girl fills out the form and their record book. Fee is 2000 kip - about 20 cents US.

Then you see the Customs officer - either in Room 8, or in his office downstairs. He also has to sign the form and grant permission.

Then you go to the outside booth, where they enter your bike into the computer. An assortment of small fees here - 200 baht for the vehicle to enter, 10 baht for the driver to enter, an overtime fee of 2500 kip, and 50 baht for the temporary windshield sticker.

Then, the Customs officer at the outside desk looks at the bike and signs you in.

Last stop is the insurance office, to buy temporary Lao insurance. Cost was 18,000 kip for 5 days, 34,000 for 10 days. Kip was 10,600 to the US dollar.

So, now you are in Laos with your bike. But, you only have permission to travel with it in Vientiane Province. To travel legally outside of there, you have to stop at another office in Vientiane for another permit. Cost is 2500 kip, but nobody there speaks English.

Exit proceedure is similar. In Laos, stop at the Immigration booth for the passport stamp. the Customs booth for the vehicle stamp, and the final signout by the Customs desk officer. No fees to pay, unless you have overstayed.

On the Thai side, the Immigration booth signs you in, and takes the T2 form. The Customs offricer takes the other form.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » October 14, 2005, 11:07 am

Hmmm, thanks. That was comprehensive and usefull information. I guess it could be more or less hassle dependent on the language proficiency of those involved. :?

I have decided not to bother to take the car now, in view of the hassle, not to mention the state of the roads and other risks once there.

Return to “Travel & Transport”