after arriving at Udon Thani Airport

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
obelisks
udonmap.com

Post by obelisks » October 30, 2015, 4:29 pm

Next month I will be flying into Udon Thani airport for the first time on my way to Luang Prabang for Loi Krathong :D
I would just like to ask if my plane arrives at 4:30 PM will I have enough time to travel by International bus at that time and actually go over the border?
And does the bus go straight from the airport terminal?
If I am arriving too late in the day it doesn't matter because I don't have to go to Laos that afternoon. If I can't get the bus over to Laos would I be able to at least get to Nong Khai by bus?
thanks very much for any suggestions and advice. :D

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » October 30, 2015, 5:42 pm

My advice is, book into a local Hotel for the night and relax. Next day do your thing. It is a Holliday after all :D ... http://www.udonmap.com/en/udonthani-bus ... nsion.html

neeemu
udonmap.com

Post by neeemu » October 30, 2015, 6:14 pm

Exactly as Aardvark says, Udon is a lovely place that can cater to anyone's needs these days.
Take a night or so to have a look round and relax before heading off.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » October 30, 2015, 8:30 pm

no theres nothing here but drab old white fellas from ex middle management positions, who have no dress sense whatsoever..I am thinking of opening a funeral palour, or dementure unit...

if you are cutting your arrival time close to Loy krathong, if you cannot scab a, taxi at the airport to take you all the way, then take it to front of Centara Plaza Mall..there is a van service to Nong Khai opposite the taxi rank...

hairyharry
udonmap.com

Post by hairyharry » October 30, 2015, 8:46 pm

OP

If catching the international bus, I believe (and if I'm wrong I'm sure somebody will post here) you must already have a Laos Visa. The international bus won't wait for you to get a Laos Visa On Arrival at the border.

Otherwise, as "maaka" said, easy to get a taxi or use the van service.
Ignore his (maaka's) comments about Udon. It's a nice place with plenty to see and do for a couple of days.
Nong Khai is a nice town too, especially down by the river.

obelisks
udonmap.com

Post by obelisks » October 30, 2015, 8:53 pm

hairyharry wrote:OP

If catching the international bus, I believe (and if I'm wrong I'm sure somebody will post here) you must already have a Laos Visa. The international bus won't wait for you to get a Laos Visa On Arrival at the border.

Otherwise, as "maaka" said, easy to get a taxi or use the van service.
Ignore his (maaka's) comments about Udon. It's a nice place with plenty to see and do for a couple of days.
Nong Khai is a nice town too, especially down by the river.
yes you are perfectly correct regarding the Laos visa and I obtained mine two weeks ago in the Laos embassy in Phnom Penh. Now that I have determined the times the international bus departs I just need to establish which bus station it goes from because I understand there are three bus stations in Udon?
Would you happen to know which one it is?

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » October 30, 2015, 9:03 pm

obelisks wrote:Next month I will be flying into Udon Thani airport for the first time on my way to Luang Prabang for Loi Krathong :D
I would just like to ask if my plane arrives at 4:30 PM will I have enough time to travel by International bus at that time and actually go over the border?
If I am arriving too late in the day it doesn't matter because I don't have to go to Laos that afternoon. If I can't get the bus over to Laos would I be able to at least get to Nong Khai by bus?
Have a look here for transportation from the Udon airport to Nong Khai directly from the airport: http://www.udonthaniairport.com/transportation/

Bus terminal #3 (by the old Tesco) has a bus to Nong Khai every couple of hours but stops running in the early evening.

The international bus would be from the Central bus station (downtown by central plaza).
UFF DA!

obelisks
udonmap.com

Post by obelisks » October 30, 2015, 9:29 pm

Jello wrote:
obelisks wrote:Next month I will be flying into Udon Thani airport for the first time on my way to Luang Prabang for Loi Krathong :D
Have a look here for transportation from the Udon airport to Nong Khai directly from the airport: http://www.udonthaniairport.com/transportation/

Bus terminal #3 (by the old Tesco) has a bus to Nong Khai every couple of hours but stops running in the early evening.

The international bus would be from the Central bus station (downtown by central plaza).

thanks a lot for that information.
So I will head straight to that area from the airport and if the last international bus on that day is fully booked(which is most likely from what I have read) I will stay overnight in a hotel near there and catch the first available bus the next day :D

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » October 30, 2015, 10:53 pm

just for clarification...the van service I mentioned is not the station...that is across the traffic lights from the fron tof Centara Plaza Mall..you cant really tell its a bus station, as the buses drive down a driveway and hide around the back

thrilled
udonmap.com

Post by thrilled » October 31, 2015, 4:51 am

Udon is A nice place to visit.Get A hotel close to the large shopping malls.If you drink A little you will find A place
Also.

obelisks
udonmap.com

Post by obelisks » October 31, 2015, 9:30 am

maaka wrote:just for clarification...the van service I mentioned is not the station...that is across the traffic lights from the fron tof Centara Plaza Mall..you cant really tell its a bus station, as the buses drive down a driveway and hide around the back
I have decided to catch the international bus direct from Udon to Laos but thanks for your information anyway

obelisks
udonmap.com

Post by obelisks » October 31, 2015, 9:31 am

thrilled wrote:Udon is A nice place to visit.Get A hotel close to the large shopping malls.If you drink A little you will find A place
Also.
are you willing to recommend anywhere in particular near Central shopping centre?

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Post by ting_tong » October 31, 2015, 9:53 am

obelisks wrote:
maaka wrote:just for clarification...the van service I mentioned is not the station...that is across the traffic lights from the fron tof Centara Plaza Mall..you cant really tell its a bus station, as the buses drive down a driveway and hide around the back
I have decided to catch the international bus direct from Udon to Laos but thanks for your information anyway
if you have a visa in advance for laos you could catch the bus, if you dont have the visa, they wont even sell you a ticket, they dont speak english at that bus station.

tell us your budget? cheap can be less than 500 baht to 2000 baht , top mansion or pannarai

at the front of "central" tell the minibus guy "yak buy lao"

ting_tong
udonmap.com

Post by ting_tong » October 31, 2015, 10:09 am

sorry, I didn't rad you already have a visa, personally I would rather take an air conditioned minibus, then a 35 baht aircon bus to talaat sao

udonmap.com

Post by 12345 » October 31, 2015, 10:51 am

Actually there is a hotel directly across from the bus station, and is fine for an overnight. safe and secure, walking distance to Central Plaza, and 3 excellent night markets near the train station. Chance are the last bus will be sold out. And if advance sales allowed, possibly the first one in the morning. Have taken the bus before, and arrived in time for bus, only to buy a ticket for the next, as 'that' bus was sold out. Same for returning if coming back thru UT.

Most rooms have been refurbished, though it looks like a dump from the outside. That's relative to opinion. Dump or 'local color'.

Note / heads up: Top Mansion / Pannarai Hotel are on Soi Samphan......tourist / expat 'ADULT' themed entertainment soi. So if looking for...........OR..........want to avoid, UP2U, as they say.

UT has plenty of options for accommodations and food to please everyone. If staying, you may want to stroll over to Nong Prajack Park / Lake, for some 'green', and also vendors available.

Bus station is basically behind the 7-11, and has enter/exit driveway on both side. Hotel I refer to is off to the side of exit from bus station. Many more in walking distance, so choices abound.

OPEN MAP IN A NEW TAB

website for hotel:
http://www.agoda.com/sritrakarn-hotel/h ... ni-th.html

https://www.facebook.com/Sritrakarn-Hot ... 482815675/

obelisks
udonmap.com

Post by obelisks » October 31, 2015, 11:11 am

12345 wrote:Actually there is a hotel directly across from the bus station, and is fine for an overnight. safe and secure, walking distance to Central Plaza, and 3 excellent night markets near the train station. Chance are the last bus will be sold out. And if advance sales allowed, possibly the first one in the morning. Have taken the bus before, and arrived in time for bus, only to buy a ticket for the next, as 'that' bus was sold out. Same for returning if coming back thru UT.

Most rooms have been refurbished, though it looks like a dump from the outside. That's relative to opinion. Dump or 'local color'.

Note / heads up: Top Mansion / Pannarai Hotel are on Soi Samphan......tourist / expat 'ADULT' themed entertainment soi. So if looking for...........OR..........want to avoid, UP2U, as they say.

UT has plenty of options for accommodations and food to please everyone. If staying, you may want to stroll over to Nong Prajack Park / Lake, for some 'green', and also vendors available.

Bus station is basically behind the 7-11, and has enter/exit driveway on both side. Hotel I refer to is off to the side of exit from bus station. Many more in walking distance, so choices abound.

OPEN MAP IN A NEW TAB

website for hotel:
http://www.agoda.com/sritrakarn-hotel/h ... ni-th.html

https://www.facebook.com/Sritrakarn-Hot ... 482815675/

WOW :D thanks a lot for all of that
yes looks can be deceiving ha ha
but if you say the rooms have been refurbished I will give it a go :D

Jing Jing
udonmap.com

Post by Jing Jing » October 31, 2015, 11:35 am

Here is the website for Inter bus
http://www.laos-guide-999.com/thailand-bus.html
Best to take taxi from airport ฿200 to bus terminal about 20 - 30 min.

udonmap.com

Post by 12345 » October 31, 2015, 12:23 pm

Jing Jing wrote:Here is the website for Inter bus
http://www.laos-guide-999.com/thailand-bus.html
Best to take taxi from airport ฿200 to bus terminal about 20 - 30 min.
That's over priced. For ฿200, they can get a van / limo to Nong Khai from the airport.

udonmap.com

Post by 12345 » October 31, 2015, 12:43 pm

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » October 31, 2015, 12:50 pm

& you can take the same van company's vehicle from the airport to the centre of town, for something like 60 baht.
It is, however, a long slow ride & there is little room for suitcases.

200 baht for a taxi is the 'going rate' - expensive or not. You will also be extremely unlikely to see the word 'Taxi' anywhere near or on the vehicle!! :D

The root cause is that the airport authority do not allow legitimate taxis to ply for trade at the airport for disembarking passengers. Until they change that view then 200 baht a taxi for town is as cheap as it is likely to gets as there is no competition...

Return to “Travel & Transport”