carry on luggage

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
dill
udonmap.com

carry on luggage

Post by dill » April 7, 2007, 6:43 pm

what is the maximum that anyone has been allowed for carry on luggage on a thai flight.
on their website it says 7 kilo but i have seen people with much more than.
in my case i have got nearly 9 kilo and 4 kilo would be just the bag the rest is some electrical gear which my insurance would not cover if i put that in my other bag.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » April 7, 2007, 7:01 pm

My wife and me + a 14 month old have taken recently... 1 Heavy laptop bag with L/T + video and other stuff in,another bag with baby bits and peices in, another with our personnal bits in,the wifes Handbag full of crap, a childs fold up buggy all well over the allowance probably had exceptions as we have a tiddler with us,don't recall them ever weighing our bags, just really would be wise to stick to the dimensions that are allowed, in total checked in baggage was around 75 kilos :shock:(no xtra charge) on an full inter flight,plus must of been another 18-20 k in hand baggage,maybe it depends on the day/person.

ttom
udonmap.com

You where luack ...

Post by ttom » April 8, 2007, 3:15 am

beer monkey wrote:My wife and me + a 14 month old have taken recently... 1 Heavy laptop bag with L/T + video and other stuff in,another bag with baby bits and peices in, another with our personnal bits in,the wifes Handbag full of crap, a childs fold up buggy all well over the allowance probably had exceptions as we have a tiddler with us,don't recall them ever weighing our bags, just really would be wise to stick to the dimensions that are allowed, in total checked in baggage was around 75 kilos :shock:(no xtra charge) on an full inter flight,plus must of been another 18-20 k in hand baggage,maybe it depends on the day/person.

According to international regulations the max. weight per person (adult or kids over 2 years of age) is 32 kg. Max lenght over all edges is 203 cm. For any baby or toddler up to 2 years there is a luggage allowance of 10 kg. Baby buggy or wheelchairs do usually not count.

Carried by hand is one piece of 8 kg max. per person allowed. Max size is 55 x 40 x 20 cm each.

It would be wise to accept this limits, otherwise the airline could charge 1 % of first class ticket price for any kilo overweight. You where lucky and just within the limits.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » April 8, 2007, 3:37 am

In dozens of domestic flights inside Thailand on Thai, Nok, and Air Asia, dozens of U.S. domestic flights, and hundreds of transpacific flights, my carry-on luggage has NEVER been weighed.

Last year, waiting to board a EVA Air flight out of LAX, I did observe an EVA employee heft an elderly man's carry-on to determine whether it was ok to let him carry it on.

If it doesn't quite look like you are carrying a bag of bowling balls, and you appear strong and healthy enough to lift it to the overhead bin yourself, then you have little to worry about.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » April 8, 2007, 4:33 am

ttom wrote:Carried by hand is one piece of 8 kg max. per person allowed. Max size is 55 x 40 x 20 cm each.
Hand luggage 8kg per person.....is that including children over 2 and toddlers up to 2 years also, even if the toddlers don't get their own seat and you are paying a fraction of the ticket price too ?
Can You Dig It Dug.?

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » April 8, 2007, 2:15 pm

I travel extensively with TG to UK, Europe and Australia and have a Gold card etc and have never been asked to weigh the hand carry items yet and i have had some heavy ones !!

The issue is significant in UK and Europe now as the security issues recently reduced the sizes down on hand carry etc.

Also u need to look at BA flights now as its down to 23 KG maximum and reduced to 1 piece for cargo hold, if u have more than 1 suitcase u will be charged no matter what. Thats going to cost a lot of people some serious money soon.

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » April 8, 2007, 2:54 pm

All these hassles with baggage will probably spawn anew freight business, "bring your bags to us the day before you leave and pick-em the day after you arrive."

ttom
udonmap.com

Be aware of changes regulations since Sept. 2005

Post by ttom » April 8, 2007, 4:14 pm

The Relevant Law and its Implications

The relevant law controlling passenger carry-on baggage is found in Title 14 of the US Code of Federal Regulations, (Aeronautics and Space PART 121—OPERATING REQUIREMENTS: DOMESTIC, FLAG, AND SUPPLEMENTAL OPERATIONS
Subpart T—Flight Operations
ง 121.589 Carry-on baggage.

(a) No certificate holder may allow the boarding of carry-on baggage on an airplane unless each passenger's baggage has been scanned to control the size and amount carried on board in accordance with an approved carry-on baggage program in its operations specifications. In addition, no passenger may board an airplane if his/her carry-on baggage exceeds the baggage allowance prescribed in the carry-on baggage program in the certificate holder's operations specifications.

(b) No certificate holder may allow all passenger entry doors of an airplane to be closed in preparation for taxi or pushback unless at least one required crewmember has verified that each article of baggage is stowed in accordance with this section and ง121.285 (c) and (d).

(c) No certificate holder may allow an airplane to take off or land unless each article of baggage is stowed:

(1) In a suitable closet or baggage or cargo stowage compartment placarded for its maximum weight and providing proper restraint for all baggage or cargo stowed within, and in a manner that does not hinder the possible use of any emergency equipment; or

(2) As provided in ง121.285 (c) and (d); or

(3) Under a passenger seat.

(d) Baggage, other than articles of loose clothing, may not be placed in an overhead rack unless that rack is equipped with approved restraining devices or doors.

(e) Each passenger must comply with instructions given by crewmembers regarding compliance with paragraphs (a), (b), (c), (d), and (g) of this section.

(f) Each passenger seat under which baggage is allowed to be stowed shall be fitted with a means to prevent articles of baggage stowed under it from sliding forward. In addition, each aisle seat shall be fitted with a means to prevent articles of baggage stowed under it from sliding sideward into the aisle under crash impacts severe enough to induce the ultimate inertia forces specified in the emergency landing condition regulations under which the airplane was type certificated.

Commentary

You'll note that these regulations do not specify sizes or weights. But they do say the airline must enforce its own policies.

This would suggest that every time an airline allows someone on board who has more than the airline's specified allowance of carry-on, then the airline (not the individual) has just broken an FAA regulation.

If you're a militant traveler keen to control the amount of passenger baggage carried on to flights, you might want to keep this in mind, and point out to the gate staff and airplane crew that you have just observed a passenger going on board with more luggage than the airline's policy allows, meaning that the airline is no longer in compliance with the FAA regulation promulgated in CFR Title 14 Chapter I Subchapter G Part 121 Subpart T section 121.589(a). If that doesn't impress them, ask for their names and advise you'll be sending in a written complaint to the FAA about them operating a flight that is not in compliance with FAA directives.

If you choose to do this, write to the FAA and tell them the airline, flight number, the cities it was operating from and to, the date and time of the flight, and the names of all involved airline personnel, and give specific details of the people and their luggage that you saw them carrying on.

You can contact the FAA at this email address - [email protected] - but to have your complaint viewed more seriously, it is better to write to them :

Aviation Consumer Protection Division
U.S. Department of Transportation
400 7th Street, S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20590

Different rules (i.e. further limitations) for domesic flights!

Strict similar rules apply for Europe.

More flexible rules apply for the Middle East, India, Pakistan and Bangladeh.

Not sure about Africa.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » April 9, 2007, 5:11 am

If you're a militant traveler keen to control the amount of passenger baggage carried on to flights, you might want to keep this in mind, and point out to the gate staff and airplane crew that you have just observed a passenger going on board with more luggage than the airline's policy allows, meaning that the airline is no longer in compliance with the FAA regulation promulgated in CFR Title 14 Chapter I Subchapter G Part 121 Subpart T section 121.589(a). If that doesn't impress them, ask for their names and advise you'll be sending in a written complaint to the FAA about them operating a flight that is not in compliance with FAA directives.

and possibly risk having something nasty put in your in-flight meal. :shock: :fart:

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » April 13, 2007, 3:17 pm

Here's a related OBTW.

Yesterday, I packed a 14 kg bag, that meets Thai Air Asia's maximum published dimensions for a carry-on. I brought it to Suvarnabhumi, using a luggage cart to carry it around the terminal.

At the first security check, the security clerk commented on how heavy the bag was, but there was not problem.

When I arrived at the gate and went through security there, they had to x-ray the bag a second time because the notebook computer made it difficult to X-Ray the kilograms of books and electronics. The security clerk's eyes bulged as she lifted the bag and lugged it over to be inspected, but she did not say anything about the weight.

Through the process of lugging the bag onto the bus, off the bus, up the stairs to the plane, down the stairs and into the terminal, I didn't have any problems other than a slightly sore shoulder.

It seems that the only practical place to weigh carry-on luggage would be as part of the security screening. Otherwise, this would add another screening step to an already too complicated set of procedures.

Seeing the overhead bins sway and flex as the plane landed in Udon, I was reminded of one of the reason they limit weight -to assure that the overhead bins aren't overloaded. So, I guess this means that even though one can probably get away with sneaking on an overloaded bag, doing so is not really a good idea.

dill
udonmap.com

Post by dill » April 13, 2007, 6:19 pm

i have been now notifyd by thai airlines that it is ok for multiple bags like one cary on bag and a laptop bag or a camera bag as long as each induvidual bag is belowe the 7 kg.
thanxs for all the info though

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » April 13, 2007, 7:54 pm

Cool...I may be carrying a 7 kg laptop, a 7 kg camera, a 7 kg carry on bag, etc. next time! :razz:

muscle
udonmap.com

Post by muscle » April 23, 2007, 7:44 pm

On the way from VTE, the Thai Airlines witch would not let me board with the standard carry-on I have been using for years. I was forced to check it. No liquids, no sharps, nothing prohibited. I also had my laptop in a case. The carry-on weighted one kilo over the alotted 8 kilos. So I watched as local after local was allowed to board with far more than I had been prohibited to board with. When I asked the supervisor about it, I recieved the usual Thai shrug. One local boarded with a carry-on so heavy that he could not even lift it into the overhead. Normally, I would assist but I let him and the FA struggle with it and laughed at them out loud. I did make a nasty commend about how heavy 8 kilos are when you have to lift it so far and got some very dirty looks. My guess is it weighed at least 30 kilos. Next time Lao Air. I avoid flying Thai because they are such jerks, but someone else made the reservations and did not follow my instructions. Thai Airlines sucks!

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » April 23, 2007, 11:27 pm

Anytime one is discriminated against,it sucks! :mad: Did you try a ''tip''?

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » April 23, 2007, 11:52 pm

muscle wrote:On the way from VTE, the Thai Airlines witch would not let me board with the standard carry-on I have been using for years. I was forced to check it. No liquids, no sharps, nothing prohibited. I also had my laptop in a case. The carry-on weighted one kilo over the alotted 8 kilos. So I watched as local after local was allowed to board with far more than I had been prohibited to board with. When I asked the supervisor about it, I recieved the usual Thai shrug. One local boarded with a carry-on so heavy that he could not even lift it into the overhead. Normally, I would assist but I let him and the FA struggle with it and laughed at them out loud. I did make a nasty commend about how heavy 8 kilos are when you have to lift it so far and got some very dirty looks. My guess is it weighed at least 30 kilos. Next time Lao Air. I avoid flying Thai because they are such jerks, but someone else made the reservations and did not follow my instructions. Thai Airlines sucks!

Should of shown them this...
personally for me i have been shown nothing but courtasy from Thai airways staff over the years.

Doc
udonmap.com

Post by Doc » April 24, 2007, 12:53 am

beer monkey wrote:If you're a militant traveler keen to control the amount of passenger baggage carried on to flights, you might want to keep this in mind, and point out to the gate staff and airplane crew that you have just observed a passenger going on board with more luggage than the airline's policy allows, meaning that the airline is no longer in compliance with the FAA regulation promulgated in CFR Title 14 Chapter I Subchapter G Part 121 Subpart T section 121.589(a). If that doesn't impress them, ask for their names and advise you'll be sending in a written complaint to the FAA about them operating a flight that is not in compliance with FAA directives.
Threatening a non-American Airline that is not carrying you to the US with a complaint to the FAA - and quoting CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) will get you nothing more than confused looks. Thailand doesn't give diddly squat about US laws or US bureaucracies.
Ain't Easy Being Me

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » April 24, 2007, 5:25 am

Roughly My thoughts too. (that was originally ttoms post) :lol:
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Doc
udonmap.com

Post by Doc » April 24, 2007, 9:26 am

beer monkey wrote:Roughly My thoughts too. (that was originally ttoms post) :lol:
Didn't have the time to research the original. Didn't believe that you would be quoting US laws... =D>
Ain't Easy Being Me

nevket240
udonmap.com

Post by nevket240 » April 24, 2007, 9:34 am

I cannot for the life of me see how any organisation can impose weight restrictions on luggage when we have all seen 200kg mammoths get on board, sqeeze into a narrow seat and make their neighbours flight intolerable. They cannot go without food for 10 minutes until post take-off yet pay for the same amount of fuel. Come on!! I was hit with 2200Bt extra on my last flight Udon. BKK Tulla because I had a couple of Kgs over. Several of my fellow travellers were more than that around their chins. =D> :roll: =D> :roll: =D> :roll: :lol:

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » April 24, 2007, 9:37 am

Don't get confused the FAR's are not laws. Can you be prosecuted under the law for violating a FAR---you bet your sweet bibby;o)

Return to “Travel & Transport”