Lao Railway Progress

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Lao Railway Progress

Post by parrot » June 24, 2021, 9:42 am

According to the article below, the link officially opens on 2 Dec.
I'll guess that Nongkai/Lao crossings are going to increase substantially once the link opens......and years before the link actually crosses the Mekong into Thailand: Chinese crossing into Thailand......and Thais crossing into Laos to wing their way up north.
I'd say an onslaught in Nongkai.......probably into Udon. Could be big changes coming to the landscape.
https://www.esanbiz.com/42200

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » June 24, 2021, 11:04 am

Big changes coming for Nong Khai business wise ... which could well drip down to Udon ... get this covid clusterfook sorted and could be gold in them there hills.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » June 24, 2021, 1:26 pm

the-monk wrote:
June 24, 2021, 8:28 am
Good day. Would you have a link to your doc ?
Thanks.
Stay safe.
Have a nice day.
for some reason i can only find it through google? bing is crap or just being censored feeding the masses what they want to feed you in the big propaganda wars. anyway great doc, its funny but people go on about the debt trap. But without investment places like boten would still be jungle for the next 100 years. in truth the next time anyone mentions a debt trap ill want to know why western governments didn't give them the money , could it be anything to do with credit rating by the west gave them a CCC rating . any loans have to have security of some sort ,but if development moves forward the laos economy will boom so the debt really isn't a problem. anyway enjoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9E0NVroum0
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » June 24, 2021, 6:20 pm

Not a railway but quite impressive that the Chinese are able to build a 10 storey residential apartment block in ONE DAY

https://youtu.be/vRjGVS1FIwk

Dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » June 24, 2021, 9:13 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
June 24, 2021, 6:20 pm
Not a railway but quite impressive that the Chinese are able to build a 10 storey residential apartment block in ONE DAY

https://youtu.be/vRjGVS1FIwk

Dm
Hey Jon, how about we open an Irish bar there ? Diddly fiddly and all that. Gold in there hillls
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » July 25, 2021, 5:40 pm

Laos-China railway makes debut show for first completed station.
https://www.thestar.com.my/aseanplus/as ... ed-station

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » July 27, 2021, 7:23 am

lots of Lao videos on the rail line and station construction. An earlier video posting I put up in this string shows that the Lao and Thai governments have already signed the railway bridge MOA to cross at Nong Khai adjacent to the current bridge. The notation in the video indicates the bridge will be completed by 2023 but of course, that remains to be seen..
Dave

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » July 27, 2021, 10:24 am

chinese bang things together at mind boggling speed. the chinese network for high speed rail should be finished by 2035. 70,000 km in 18 years . thats 10km completed every single day for 18 years

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » July 27, 2021, 8:13 pm

Not a bad record Dean, considering that pre pandemic half the b*ggers were destroying the breakfast buffet in Thailand most of the time

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 14, 2021, 3:02 pm

the last section of rail was completed on the Kunming to Lao border segment of the Laos-China rail system this last Tuesday. It appears the Lao Chian Railway company will roll down the electric loco and passnenger cars into Laos this Friday. Some electric freight loco are already in Laos. From the videos (YouTube search on Lao-China Railway) the work crews are dong final track cleanup with the remaining large railway stations; Luang Prabang and Vientiane on track to be open well before the December 2nd (Lao National Day) planned offiical opening of the system. As it stands now, the Standard Gauge railway stops just a couple of kilomters shy of the Mekong. The Chinese have already signed a memorandum of understanding with the Thai government to build a new railway beridge by 2023. It wil be adjacent to the current Friendship Bridge.. I fully expect construction of the Standard Gaguge rails to start on the Thai side working down from Nong Khai within the next couple of years...This will provide added impetus to th Thais to get the Industrail Estage ready for Chinese factories..
Dave

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » October 14, 2021, 6:06 pm

papafarang wrote:
July 27, 2021, 10:24 am
chinese bang things together at mind boggling speed. the chinese network for high speed rail should be finished by 2035. 70,000 km in 18 years . thats 10km completed every single day for 18 years
Don't forget that hospital in Wuhan they cobbled together in Wuhan quickly. China is to be admired for its achievements and ability to get things done by all peace-loving nations around the globe. They could be coming soon to a neighbourhood near you.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 15, 2021, 8:08 pm

well there it is, the new Lao electric loco and trainset, hauled into Laos today Friday 15 October. It is 250kph capable but the Lao line is certified for 160kph. Test runs are scheduled over the next 6 weeks before official opening of the line on 2 December. This is ithe first purchased high speed trainset with the other to come later. The Lao government stated yesterday that priority will be hauling freight. electric freight locos have arrived already. Don't know about rolling stock although they had a large number of gondola and gravel hopper cars supporting the rail construction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG0_OfG_Cjo
Dave

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » October 16, 2021, 12:47 pm

I guess Laos now has a better rail system than Thailand.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 16, 2021, 1:11 pm

As much as I'd like to see such a rail line in Thailand, if the SRT has their hands on the throttle, I'm skeptical. Maybe I'm out of touch with what the SRT is these days, but from my years-past experience, it's the equivalent of Ma-Bell trying to run Amazon, using Ma-Bell way of thinking.
Every time I'm at the train crossing waiting for the train to pass, I have to wonder how they could possibly make any money on their operation.
Until Thailand gets their 'high-speed rail' in operation, Laos will have the leg up on their neighbor......maybe for the first time in modern history?

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 16, 2021, 1:29 pm

SRT is moving forward. The dual tracking between KK and Khorat was completed two years ago. That provides a dual track right of way with no grade crossings. Overpasses, underpasses and large U Turn bridges provide access over the tracks. Each station on that segement was built anew along with 100 meter platforms and 4 track construction through each station. The Ban Phai logistics center is a huge setup likely for a container transfer point. Of course, the KK to Nong Khai segement is languishing although the EIA was completed months ago. Hopefully that'll get moving over the next 2 years. The SRT has additional dual tracking projects from Saraburi to Khorat (3 tunnels, one 5 kilomert up to 50 meter high viaduct), on the Chiang Mai line, (with a much longer viaduct north of Takhli that cuts off a former large long track detour that exists now), and the BKK to Hua Hin, again with new stations overpasses, underpasses, U-Turns and an elevated viaduct that passes through Hua Hin.
The High Speed Rail project is crawling along with several contracted segments being built between Saraburi and Khorat. in watching videos of the SRT dual tracking project it does appear they are deliberately leaving space under all overpasses and big U-Turn bridges to add a couple of the Standard Gauge tracks for the High Speed Rail project..

So, while the service of SRT may be at times abysmal, money is being pumped into making the 1 meter Thai system better. But, juding from the recent flooding that washed out the foundation of rails between KK and Khorat perhaps they should have hired a hydrologist to worst case their engineering.
Dave

thegrogmonster

Post by thegrogmonster » October 16, 2021, 11:17 pm

If the Lao railway is standard gauge and the Thai railway narrow gauge it will require all freight and passenger services to transfer between trains somewhere near the border.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 17, 2021, 8:04 pm

they're building a large "logistics center" which will be a huge container yard. The SGR Lao-China rail will be relatively close to the Thanaleng Station and the yard they're building there. So, it'll be containers on the 1 meter SRT track that goes 3.5 km north from the bridge into Lao carrying some of the freight load. I speculated on the Udon Traffic topic that the East Side Ring Road heavy duty concrete may well be all about the massive increase in truck traffic toing and froing to the Lao border carrying containers.. The Lao government has already admitted that the bulk of the traffic on this new rail system will be freight. They've bought as of now only one of the fancy "high speed" passenger EMU's and another is slated for next year.
Dave

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 8, 2021, 12:16 pm

here's an actual reference to the railway bridge across the Mekong at Nong Khai. The MOA was signed in late August. Somewhere up the string I posted a Thai video mentioning the MOA with a projected completion date of the bridge in 2023. This article leaves that open but as it discusses the "urgency" is higher since the Lao-China railway opens in about 3 weeks.. If you check YouTube for Lao China Railway for the last week you'll find numerous shorty videos of the Lao MU doing test runs up and down the track. That shows the electical system powering it is hot.. Here's the story on the bridge.. https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/21 ... with-china
Dave

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » November 8, 2021, 10:12 pm

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/22 ... in-freight

>>
SRT governor Nirut Maneephan said the SRT will capitalise on the growth by ramping up cargo rail connections with Laos from Nong Khai, from four round trips a day to 10 by the end of the year.

From 2023 to 2025, the number of freight round trips will be boosted to 16 a day and to 24 by 2026, he said, adding each train will comprise 25 carriages.

<<

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 11, 2021, 3:02 pm

did some further back tracking on the MOA betwen Lao/Thai/China on the railway bridge. It was actually signed in 2019 and that was when they projected a 2023 completiong date on the new rail bridge. Needless to say that date isn't going to happen unless the Chinese push like Hell and pay for it themselves. Watching an SRT video yesterday on the Dual Taracking project from KK to Nong Khai and that said all EIA's are done and the actual construction contracts should start next year 2022 with a completion of.. (drum roll) 2026... ARghh! :shock: Don't know if this push by SRT to increase freight traffic (and it will increase tremendously) will add some impetus to both the Dual Tracking and High Speed rail between Nong Khai and KK..
Dave

Return to “Travel & Transport”