New car red plates and associated games

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Giggle
udonmap.com

New car red plates and associated games

Post by Giggle » May 8, 2019, 8:58 pm

Thailand's temporary license plate system is bizarre.

I am convinced the reason Thailand uses this system is to collect fines from offenders of the arcane and hilarious rules, rather than customer convenience, as dealers claim, which has nothing to do with it.

When you buy a new car, you're sometimes given red plates. They are purportedly legal, and always temporary, but come with a slew of rules of which buyers are often unaware. You can't drive outside your home province without permission, you can't drive with anything in the bed of your truck ... the red plates are a red flag to the bulls at police checkpoints. Nobody along the way will inform you of these rules. Not the dealer, not your "new" insurance company, not the road tax people or registration branch. Further, nobody will tell you that you are required to carry, at all times, a copy of your car's blue-book with updated annual stamps to prove you're legal. They all leave this up to you to figure out -- the hard way. (Thai style)

But sometimes the dealership's sales are outpacing their supply of red plates. This is where they get creative. They give buyers a "letter" affixed with an official stamp to throw the money-grubbing cops off the trail. They promise buyers the next available red plates will be "theirs" and there are no problems involved with "driving home today." ;)

The inept system of red plates could easily be eliminated by placing the onus of immediate registration on the dealers. "No car or truck shall depart the leadership as "sold" unless it has legal, permanent plates." Cops can rest at ease. (never gonna happen)

I bought a truck last month. Was told the red plates would be replaced with fully-registered white plates within 30 days. Happy. Went home and made holiday reservations at the sea for the following month. At the thirty day point, called in to make sure white plates were imminent. NOPE, paperwork hasn't been sent in yet. Gotta pay extra for express service. Slippery Thai kunts -- liars.

Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

noosard
udonmap.com

Re: New car red plates and associated games

Post by noosard » May 9, 2019, 10:59 am

lol I made mazda pay for ticket different prov 500 bht fine
bike red plate cost 200 bht refundable on producing receipt, lost after a year
Should have kept the red plate
proper plate when they found was covered in dust
too hard to look for in the many times I had been in during that year
Toyota wanted 2000 bht for red plate said I didn't want got white plate in 2 weeks

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » May 9, 2019, 12:33 pm

First off , red plates to a Thai is a status symbol . My neighbour ran his leased Accord on red plates for a year .
Secondly , i believe the garage does not have to pay the taxes on the new vehicle untill its properly registered , so a nice money spinner .
I also thought i read somewhere that the government want these red plates stopped , so closing this loophole .

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 9, 2019, 1:04 pm

saint wrote:
May 9, 2019, 12:33 pm
First off , red plates to a Thai is a status symbol . My neighbour ran his leased Accord on red plates for a year .
Secondly , i believe the garage does not have to pay the taxes on the new vehicle untill its properly registered , so a nice money spinner .
I also thought i read somewhere that the government want these red plates stopped , so closing this loophole .
1)true
2)true
3)yes again true but it seems to have got lost
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Return to “Travel & Transport”