Is it time to say bye Thailand?

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Re: Is it time to say bye Thailand?

Post by jai yen yen » June 3, 2019, 9:19 pm

glalt wrote:
June 3, 2019, 8:54 am
Such an easy solution. Put me in the "If you don't like it, leave" group. I certainly wouldn't live somewhere that I hated. Obviously the whining and complaining does absolutely no good. Sure there are warts, but there is nothing you can do about them except leave.
Well I agree somewhat so I left but there is nothing wrong with a little discussion. I first arrived in 2003 and things were great. Fast forward to now and you have military government, much higher costs, worse traffic and crowding, more regulations, massive groups of Chinese tourists, and paying for things that used to be free. There were no atm fee's for example which was very nice as I could withdraw cash from any atm in Thailand and have quick access to my money in Canada without carrying a lot around with me. I may be wrong here but I think the Thais were happier and more relaxed as well back then which helped create a great atmosphere. I personally liked the peace and quiet, Hua Hin was a nice little town, no big shopping malls, quiet clean beach's with very few tourists and the markets were the same. Flying to Udon airport was nice, a few Thais sleeping in the airport with some flies buzzing around and dead quiet. A parking lot that was mostly empty and a wonderful feeling of calm. The Udon mall was nice and quiet as well and Steves and Mojo's were great places for a nice western breakfast. This was the Thailand I liked along with the great food, music, and the peace it brought me. Of course this is just my perspective and my way, others may like the crowds, big new shopping malls and what not. Just my style, much quieter and relaxing where I am now.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 3, 2019, 10:07 pm

I don't like cities, traffic or crowds. That's why I live upcountry in the boonies. I still have my Jomtien condo but it is not as enjoyable now because of the traffic and congestion.

When I first came over I could use my US ATM card with no fees. Now they charge three percent. Obviously I no longer use the US card.

Military government? At least I can drive anywhere I want without highways being blocked and demonstrations. Roads are maintained and I see huge irrigation projects out here in the boonies.

The last trip to the US was probably my last one. Both my parents have passed away and if any of my family wants to see me, They know where I am at.

Some farangs hate the word farang and like to say the Thai smiles are phony. I enjoy the Thai smiles and all the kids call me a farang. The smiles warm my heart and they are certainly not phony.

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 4, 2019, 8:14 am

What's Thailand going to be like in say another 10 years for farang? I doubt the Thai government will have made it easier for farang to reside in Thailand. Health insurance will probably be even more pricey and "self-insurance" not permitted. The cost of living is likely to have risen further.

And then there's the exchange rate conundrum. If the exchange rates gets worse for many farang, life will become even more of a struggle. I suspect there will be fewer but wealthier farang.

A weaker baht might make that prediction wrong.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » June 4, 2019, 8:31 am

What is Farangland going to like in 10 years
Cost of everything gone up
Your pensions wont be of much value due to this inflation
Thailand or other Asian countries will still be cheap in comparison

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » June 4, 2019, 8:52 am

noosard wrote:
June 4, 2019, 8:31 am
. Honestly I have found not much difference between Thailand and Canada in living costs, that is if you want a western quality of lifestyle. If you want to live cheaper in Thailand you can but you will not have the same quality of life.
Thailand was cheaper years ago but not so much now especially with the decline in the Canadian dollar to the baht and more expenses and fee's in Thailand.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » June 4, 2019, 10:30 am

Sorry Jai have to disagree with Thailand vs Canada and costs
Housing TOP 10 (AVERAGE)
1Toronto, Ontario $921,000 21,500,000 THB
2Vancouver, British Columbia $878,242
3 Victoria, British Columbia $763,517
4 Kitchener-Cambridge-Waterloo, Ontario $583,144
5 $Calgary, Alberta 570,084
6 Hamilton, Ontario $535,520
7 Oshawa, Ontario $480,700
8 Saskatoon, Saskatchewan $385,580
9 Edmonton, Alberta $378,247
10 Ottawa, Ontario $373,200 8,712,000THB

A house in Thailand well it is cheaper

Breakfast can be 180 baht or $7.70 CDN here in Thailand or Canada $14.99 or 350THB OH and PLUS TAX

The last time I was in Canada and had a lunch with a friend in a buger joint some 12 years ago it cost $55 with a beer 1284 baht and that was 12 years ago

Taxes in Canada vs Thailand we wont even touch that subject

Hiden taxes in Canada are rampent Fishing tax, hunting tax, License tax,HST, PST, GST, tax on tax, Gift Tax, Property Tax, Estate Tax,
and the list goes on

Utilities $3.95/cubic meter of water in Toronto Average per month is 15 M3 per month or $59 or 1376THB

Sewage rates are based on how much water you import even if it goes to washing the car or watering the lawn
Thailand last month my water bill was 104THB or $4.45

I could go one but Thailand is a lot cheaper in my estimation

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 4, 2019, 10:42 am

The last place I lived in the US was in Florida near Fort Lauderdale. Traffic was horrible. My vehicle insurance was like an extra car payment. Rents were over the top so I bought a condo. Monthly maintenance was $175 a month. Insurance and real estate taxes were also very expensive. While working in Florida, I was on my way home and was stopped by the police. There was no fine but I was told I needed Florida registration and a Florida drivers license. I was given thirty days to get that done.

My Jomtien condo here costs me about $19 a month for a sixty square meter unit and that includes trash removal and insurance. There are no property taxes. I can drive my vehicle here anywhere in Thailand regardless of where it is registered or where my drivers license came from. Unfortunately Thailand is following Western countries as far as the sin taxes and silly laws. They even got on the carbon tax bandwagon. Things are changing and it is becoming all about money more and more. Life goes on. I can't see it getting any better so I count the benefits and overlook the warts.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » June 4, 2019, 10:53 am

OH Forgot Property tax in Toronto in 2018 for $1,000,000 DOLLAR CONDO
"Q: My company is offering to relocate me to Toronto. What are the property taxes like for a Toronto condominium?
A: The residential property tax in the city of Toronto is roughly .66%, according to Bob Aaron of the Toronto-based firm Aaron & Aaron.
"So on a $1 million-assessed condo, the annual taxes are $6616.47," Mr. Aaron said."
or in THB 155,000/ year or 424 Baht per day More than the minimum wage here in Thailand

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » June 4, 2019, 10:56 am

I got stopped at customs at Heathrow last time i went back . While he was rummaging through my knickers ect he started chatting . He said that hes heard how expensive it was in Thailand now , and how prices kept going up .
I told him prices are O k usual 2 or3 % inflation , but whats killing expats is the exchange rates .
So if your coming here on holiday , or surviving on a pension , then of cause you cant afford stuff you used to , but can you blame Thailand for that ?
Iknow my house and land here cost me about 15% of what it would where i come from in the U K , and i got exactly what i wanted without some jumped up planning officer telling me what i could and could not do with my design and build .

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 4, 2019, 11:40 am

My mother heated her big old house with fuel oil and she liked the house warm. Us kids bought her a high tech electric heater to put beside her favorite recliner so she could turn the furnace temperature down. Unfortunately the electric circuit where it plugged in was not big enough and the outlet went up in a cloud of smoke. I happened to be there visiting. I went across the street to the local hardware store and bought a circuit breaker, wire and a heavy duty outlet. My brother warned me that I had to be careful because I am not a licensed electrician. Her regular electrician is an asshole and he would have reported me. I told my brother that they would have to go to Thailand to get me. I got the job done and there is no danger of the house burning down. Laws like that irritate the hell out of me. Putting an extra circuit breaker in the main box, running the wire and installing the new outlet is not rocket science. If I still lived in the US, I would likely go to jail because of doing my own electrical work and plumbing.

newtovillagelife
udonmap.com

Post by newtovillagelife » June 4, 2019, 12:05 pm

jai yen yen wrote:
June 4, 2019, 8:52 am
noosard wrote:
. Honestly I have found not much difference between Thailand and Canada in living costs, that is if you want a western quality of lifestyle. If you want to live cheaper in Thailand you can but you will not have the same quality of life.
Thailand was cheaper years ago but not so much now especially with the decline in the Canadian dollar to the baht and more expenses and fee's in Thailand.
Is that what you tell your Thai wife, so she stays with you in Canada. Utter BS. What I would pay in just rent in Calgary, more than covers all my living expenses in Thailand, for 2 adults and one child.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » June 4, 2019, 1:44 pm

I have a good friend in Florida. He does have a very nice home on a canal with access to the Inter Coastal waterway. His taxes and insurance are $1,600 dollars a month. Yes, a month. It so happens that he can afford it but not many people could.

yartims
udonmap.com

Post by yartims » June 4, 2019, 6:28 pm

dezzer wrote:
May 29, 2019, 3:39 pm
Sateeb wrote:
May 29, 2019, 3:33 pm
vlad wrote:
May 29, 2019, 2:14 am
<snip>after 12-13 years im beginning now to look at other Asian destinations where your at least appreciated and looked after you are constantly reminded your just a falang and a visitor.
Good luck with that.

Try Butlins in Minehead be among other farang that won't call you farang, always remember, sticks and stones may break your bones but names will never hurt you farang 😂
oh great butlins in minehead means karl denver LIVE doing one of his blood curdling songs .usefull for killing martians

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nupFd7dmr9E
the only good Tory is a lavatory

yartims
udonmap.com

Post by yartims » June 4, 2019, 6:56 pm

bkk eyes seems to show its a place for gays as more gay bars and LBs available..
the only good Tory is a lavatory

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » June 4, 2019, 7:05 pm

Yartims
Are you on the drink Son or are you having a session???
Call if you need help

dezzer
udonmap.com

Post by dezzer » June 4, 2019, 7:49 pm

yartims wrote:
June 4, 2019, 6:28 pm
dezzer wrote:
May 29, 2019, 3:39 pm
Sateeb wrote:
May 29, 2019, 3:33 pm
vlad wrote:
May 29, 2019, 2:14 am
<snip>after 12-13 years im beginning now to look at other Asian destinations where your at least appreciated and looked after you are constantly reminded your just a falang and a visitor.
Good luck with that.

Try Butlins in Minehead be among other farang that won't call you farang, always remember, sticks and stones may break your bones but names will never hurt you farang 😂
oh great butlins in minehead means karl denver LIVE doing one of his blood curdling songs .usefull for killing martians

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nupFd7dmr9E
😂 😂 😂
You'll Never Walk Alone L.F.C.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » June 4, 2019, 8:48 pm

I just came across this, which might be helpful for those looking for alternative places to live:

https://internationalliving.com/the-bes ... to-retire/

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/th ... NTyx-mrba0

Thailand was 9th on the list, which included Malaysia at 5th place.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » June 4, 2019, 9:04 pm

noosard wrote:
That's a bit misleading. Prices in farangland do go up (as they do in Thailand or wherever), but in the UK most state and private pensions are index-linked or have annual cost of living increases. The trouble starts if you live in some overseas countries, Thailand being one, you don't then get those annual pension increases. (I understand we do if living in the Philippines).

If living overseas, the exchange rate then becomes a big issue, plus to some extent the rate of inflation in those other countries. It is the exchange rate that is hurting Brits currently.

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » June 4, 2019, 9:15 pm

newtovillagelife wrote:
June 4, 2019, 12:05 pm
jai yen yen wrote:
June 4, 2019, 8:52 am
noosard wrote:
Is that what you tell your Thai wife, so she stays with you in Canada. Utter BS. What I would pay in just rent in Calgary, more than covers all my living expenses in Thailand, for 2 adults and one child.
. It was my Thai wife that wanted us to move to Canada actually. I rented my house out in Hua Hin for 60,000 baht per month in 2010, it was a nice house with a pool and at that time you could rent a nice house where I live now for close to the same. I ride Harleys and they are almost twice as much to buy in Thailand than Canada. Same for other imported nice vehicles. Levis and other name brand clothes are more in Thailand than Canada. Western food is more in Thailand than Canada. I think fuel prices are becoming comparable now.A burger and beer at one of our pubs cost about the same especially when you consider the size and quality of burger, same goes for other food as well. Eating out in Thailand is cheaper if you are happy with a bit of rice or noodles and very little meat. Living in Thailand is cheaper if you want to sacrifice quality of life. You can buy cheap shorts and t shirts, ride a scooter, live in a small brick house, drive on bad roads, walk around town on broken or non existent sidewalks while breathing in the glorious odour of open sewers while jumping through all the hoops that are imposed upon Farangs and paying the additional fees for being allowed to be a guest in the amazing kingdom of Thailand. Just a few examples. I see now you are from Alberta, that kind of explains a few things

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » June 5, 2019, 1:43 am

Thank you Jai I'm glad your not blinkered and see how things realy are in Thailand. I have seen its decline over the years I usually stay a month sometimes 3 times a year so I'm no 2 week tourist.

Return to “Travel & Transport”