BIG C intersecrtion HWY 22 and 216

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Doodoo
udonmap.com

BIG C intersecrtion HWY 22 and 216

Post by Doodoo » November 16, 2020, 8:40 pm

Additional construction has begun
Am I sensing another underpass being constructed north and south???

Niggly
udonmap.com

Re: BIG C intersecrtion HWY 22 and 216

Post by Niggly » November 16, 2020, 8:44 pm

Udon City News says they’re making both carriageways 3 lanes.
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 16, 2020, 9:02 pm

According to a Gov planning worker in the pub its 3 lanes all the way from the Big C SAK NAK intersection past index n Hpro to the new tunnel n over pass at the Nong Khai intersection , that would mean a few sites will be land grabbed along that route ..

GREAT NEWS ... shorter but wider ques at all the traffic light intersections .. those Global lights are a blooming nightmare

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 16, 2020, 9:07 pm

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 16, 2020, 10:03 pm

There's been teams of surveyors working that stretch of the ring road for almost two months. Now the major earthworks have started at the southern end. It's a logical follow on from the flyover/underpass and will certainly ease the backup at Global. The median and soft shoulders are wide enough for the expansion to 3 x 3 lanes. However, the three existing U-turns will be more challenging and dangerous unless they elevate them.

The next bottleneck will be from the Big C flyover to the Hwy 2 junction on the south but once again, the median is wide and there's not a lot of existing construction that butts up to the hard shoulder. If only they had built the Big C flyover north-south instead of east-west.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » November 16, 2020, 11:17 pm

Isn’t the proposed “inner inner” little corner dog leg bypass from HWY2 across HWY22 supposed to come out somewhere near Global?
Surely this would divert most of the through traffic on the 216 thus making the extra lanes unnecessary.
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 16, 2020, 11:59 pm

Niggly wrote:
November 16, 2020, 11:17 pm
Isn’t the proposed “inner inner” little corner dog leg bypass from HWY2 across HWY22 supposed to come out somewhere near Global?
Surely this would divert most of the through traffic on the 216 thus making the extra lanes unnecessary.
Bizarrely enough, that dog leg hits half-way between Nong Sai and the ring road and would meet the latter at the already backed-up and narrow Soi Nongbua traffic lights which is narrower than the east-west Sam Prao road at the Global lights. I haven't seen any survey work being done on that 2-lane road yet but maybe that's planned for after the east-side ring road widening?

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 17, 2020, 6:37 am

tamada wrote:
November 16, 2020, 10:03 pm
There's been teams of surveyors working that stretch of the ring road for almost two months. Now the major earthworks have started at the southern end. It's a logical follow on from the flyover/underpass and will certainly ease the backup at Global. The median and soft shoulders are wide enough for the expansion to 3 x 3 lanes. However, the three existing U-turns will be more challenging and dangerous unless they elevate them.

The next bottleneck will be from the Big C flyover to the Hwy 2 junction on the south but once again, the median is wide and there's not a lot of existing construction that butts up to the hard shoulder. If only they had built the Big C flyover north-south instead of east-west.
If only .. if ..if n ands were pots n pans Tam ..

I traversed this section of HW yesterday and not sure the current hard shoulder would be wide enough for a third lane all way along that stretch of ring road , for sure some business would be effected.

BTW .. Le Blanc Cafe excellent coffee spot on that route.

DM

noosard
udonmap.com

Post by noosard » November 17, 2020, 6:44 am

Hope they fill the midle drain in as fills with a shower and floods the road

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 17, 2020, 6:49 am

There is a huge storm drain that runs on the outer side of the ring road starts some where in Ban Jan but not sure where it ends or indeed where the water it carries ends up.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 17, 2020, 8:20 am

As I understand it, those culverts /storm drains/ whatever , were constructed many years ago to assist in moving water to the 4 reservoirs around Udon, when the water levels go down it is pumped back into Nong Prajak to the Towns Water treatment centre.

Part of the problems surrounding water is that so much of the low-lying ground has been built on and inadequate thought given to what happens to the subsequent rainfall as the ground can no longer absorbs it, concrete does not allow it to be soaked, plus so I was told with so many houses being built and NO Grey Water drainage infrastructure on these estates the water just flows where it did not before.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 17, 2020, 9:39 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
November 17, 2020, 6:37 am
tamada wrote:
November 16, 2020, 10:03 pm

If only .. if ..if n ands were pots n pans Tam ..

I traversed this section of HW yesterday and not sure the current hard shoulder would be wide enough for a third lane all way along that stretch of ring road , for sure some business would be effected.

BTW .. Le Blanc Cafe excellent coffee spot on that route.

DM
If you look at the placement of the PEA's new high-voltage line on the west side of the stretch of ring-road in question between Big C and the Global lights, there's 10 to 15 meters between the new poles and the current hard shoulder. Most of it is unused grass and dirt. Then there's the hard standing and excess parking out front of commercial buildings like the paint shop opposite Bo-Be. Then there's the broad access to others set further back like the PTT station and HomePro. Just south of the Nong Bua lights, maybe three or four small businesses use this space out front to display tires, rattan furniture or parking for noodles. The east side from Santipol College, past the Romyen entrance to Bo-Be, there's a storm drain ditch but notably no businesses or structures between that ditch and the existing hard shoulder.

North of the Global lights, over the railroad tracks to the start of the flyover, the storm drain ditch is on the west side but on the east side, from Global lights, past the other PTT to ToolPro, again there's only dirt and unused, excess customer parking. No building frontage is closer than 15 m from the current hard shoulder.

Three lanes each way will be a dawdle.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » November 17, 2020, 2:05 pm

by the time it gets finished they will need 4 lanes to cope, and there will still be 20 ar*eholes blocking the left turn at Global lights

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 17, 2020, 2:13 pm

I use numerous provincial ring roads all over Isan on a regular basis .. KK , Sisaket , Ubon , Surin , MSK to name just a few .. yes they are all busy but not as congested as the Udon RR .. and one point to note the only other province with a total complete 3 even 4 lane Ring road in operation is Buriram .. at least Udon already has 3 lanes in sections.

In general i think the road net works here are very good .. the main HWs n Broads are all reasonable with plenty of PTTs etc .. the rural roads are not which is to be expected so i try not to use em when at all possible.

DM

Return to “Travel & Transport”