Road widening relating to the ring road in Udon Thani

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Road widening relating to the ring road in Udon Thani

Post by Khun Paul » March 6, 2021, 7:30 am

It would appear that this subject although mentioned in passing on other posts and with the estimated time frame of possibly three years, then it is wise to have a Post relating specifically to the problem of not only traffic build ups but also loss of U turns if known and subsequent changes to routes for businesses etc on the other side of this road.

So intelligent thoughts and answers to problems , nothing about Speed limits etc, just the Road and its widening and the effects of travelling around Udon, using this road .

It has been stated there are many many shortcuts which enable you to miss out on some of the chaos, but those routes as I found out the other day was meant for motorbikes, not 4 wheeled vehicles as a possible route from My house to Sam Phrao road was mentioned so off I went , which then after about two kilometres required a 400 metre reverse, as the road ( which was there ) is no longer , reduced to a single bike track width.

Those with time on their hands ( there are plenty of you ) in your travels any assistance utilising shortcuts to avoid the Ring Road chaos would be appreciated.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Road widening relating to the ring road in Udon Thani

Post by stattointhailand » March 6, 2021, 3:08 pm

Not sure that's a very bright idea KP, before you know it there will be so many using the "short cut" it will take longer than to traverse the roads works.
When they started the Tesco Flyover/underpass I had a long way round type "short cut" (extra km but far less time) from NK rd to Global House lights on which I saw a couple of motorbikes and occasionally the odd car, but by the time the works had been going on about a year it took twice as long as previously, as you had to wait for half a doz heavy trucks and a load of cars to exit the side street onto the main road West of Global House.

anefarious1
udonmap.com

Post by anefarious1 » March 6, 2021, 3:50 pm

You can in fact get to Sam Phrao from Nong Sai traffic light intersection using any 4 wheel vehicle. But whether it's worth it depends on where you live exactly.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 6, 2021, 4:14 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
March 6, 2021, 7:30 am
It would appear that this subject although mentioned in passing on other posts and with the estimated time frame of possibly three years, then it is wise to have a Post relating specifically to the problem of not only traffic build ups but also loss of U turns if known and subsequent changes to routes for businesses etc on the other side of this road.

So intelligent thoughts and answers to problems , nothing about Speed limits etc, just the Road and its widening and the effects of travelling around Udon, using this road .

It has been stated there are many many shortcuts which enable you to miss out on some of the chaos, but those routes as I found out the other day was meant for motorbikes, not 4 wheeled vehicles as a possible route from My house to Sam Phrao road was mentioned so off I went , which then after about two kilometres required a 400 metre reverse, as the road ( which was there ) is no longer , reduced to a single bike track width.

Those with time on their hands ( there are plenty of you ) in your travels any assistance utilising shortcuts to avoid the Ring Road chaos would be appreciated.
Go on then, I’ll bite. It’s impossible to ignore a plea for help from such a respected, admired & beloved pillar of the community.
I’ve always been fully open about having too much time on my hands & I like exploring but the main drive in replying is to also antagonise the haters who object to me posting. Also, notwithstanding this reasoning, I think the shortcut I originally advised is the one being eluded to in a roundabout way as not fit for purpose. I only drove this route about 10 days ago so was intrigued at how it had become so overgrown.
To be honest I wasn’t looking forward to having to reverse nigh on half a km. Not because going backwards worries me, its quite easy really, but the scorn I would get from Mrs N in the passenger seat would be unbearable.
I don’t have any Special Forces training in navigation, in fact I’ve never even been orienteering, so armed with nothing more than the car, sunglasses, a moaning passenger, a bit of trepidation & time to kill off I set.........
Down HWY22 towards town.
Approaching the u turn under Big C flyover I was going to take a picture to show the gridlock but there was nothing there so didn’t stop.
A quick glance at the car clock & its 13:02
Head back up HWY22 to the Border Police
Turn left into Si Patthana
Turn left heading towards Monkey Bar
Turn right towards Education Offices
Turn right at the Education Offices
Follow the road all the way to Nong Sai road
Turn left towards the ring road
Turn right after 150ish m(?) into Soi Saeng Charoen
Stay on this road keeping left at the lake & you emerge behind BoBae on the Sam Phrao road 2410
Stop the clock, 13:14 so a nice easy 12 minutes

The only pinch point to note was at i Village(?) where a house blessing was going on & a car had parked like a t**t so I had to wait for an on coming car to pass. Hardly on going disruption though.
Sealed dual lane roads all the way ☑️
No impassable roads ☑️
No reversing ☑️
Reasonably happy passenger ☑️
Was able to immediately join the queue on the 2410 & crossed the ring road heading back into town

You’re welcome

I guess I can now bank a thank you along with the multiple sorrys that are being saved up?
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

pal52
udonmap.com

Post by pal52 » March 7, 2021, 4:21 pm

Follow the road all the way to Nong Sai road
Turn left towards the ring road
Turn right after 150ish m(?) into Soi Saeng Charoen
Stay on this road keeping left at the lake & you emerge behind BoBae on the Sam Phrao road 2410
Stop the clock, 13:14 so a nice easy 12 minutes

The only pinch point to note was at i Village(?) where a house blessing was going on & a car had parked like a t**t so I had to wait for an on coming car to pass. Hardly on going disruption though.
Sealed dual lane roads all the way ☑️
Just tried the route as above as I visit San Seran Village (near T Bar and I Village) village at least 2 times a week.
It saved me a lot of time and the stress of waiting at traffic lights for idiots to set off then lights changing.
On a Sunday it takes me at least 40 mins to one hour to get to Na Kha on the Nong Khai road.
The route you found was pleasant to drive and only took 25 mins.
Great find Thanks.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 7, 2021, 4:29 pm

Pal, If you look at the map, from the back of Bobae/Global. you can cut through to Ban Don Wai and join NK Rd near Na Kha (a bit of bad road surface at times but still drivable without problems) and NO ring rd at all

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » March 7, 2021, 5:45 pm

I live back of bobay, and currently no issue using the ringroad towards Nongkhai road - i go that route at least twice a week and only takes 5 minutes to tbe flyover. Of course, future work may make it longer. The Ban Don Wai route is possible but not brilliant, get some.nasty potholes somdtimes and you need to know your turns.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 7, 2021, 6:53 pm

I'd only use it if there were problems relating to the Ring Rd widening. It was ideal whilst the flyover/underpass works were ongoing.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 7, 2021, 7:11 pm

Hasn’t it been posted on the Udon Traffic thread there’s going to be some bridge work between Sam Phrao lights & HWY2 Nong Khai road which will involve a contra flow?
That should cause enough chaos to make the pothole filled back route positively enjoyable

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 11, 2021, 8:34 am

Khun Paul wrote:
March 6, 2021, 7:30 am

Whats that little squeaking noise? A "thank you"?. Thought not

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 11, 2021, 12:23 pm

rick wrote:
March 7, 2021, 5:45 pm
I live back of bobay, and currently no issue using the ringroad towards Nongkhai road - i go that route at least twice a week and only takes 5 minutes to tbe flyover. Of course, future work may make it longer. The Ban Don Wai route is possible but not brilliant, get some.nasty potholes somdtimes and you need to know your turns.
I reckon your time will come rick.... eventually. The tree cutting crews were seen preparing the southbound hard-shoulder earlier this week just south of Bobay. This morning I see the horizontal drilling rig and the drill contractors fleet of purple trucks have parked up on the hard shoulder about 200 m south of the lights. Last week they were working about 100 m north of the Global lights, southbound side, as they set what looks like caissons for new drains. I reckon some shophouses and businesses between Ruysuk Hotel and the traffic lights are about to lose their extensive roadside frontage.

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » March 11, 2021, 12:35 pm

tamada wrote:
March 11, 2021, 12:23 pm
rick wrote:
March 7, 2021, 5:45 pm
I reckon your time will come rick.... eventually. The tree cutting crews were seen preparing the southbound hard-shoulder earlier this week just south of Bobay. This morning I see the horizontal drilling rig and the drill contractors fleet of purple trucks have parked up on the hard shoulder about 200 m south of the lights. Last week they were working about 100 m north of the Global lights, southbound side, as they set what looks like caissons for new drains. I reckon some shophouses and businesses between Ruysuk Hotel and the traffic lights are about to lose their extensive roadside frontage.
Surely you mean their unofficial and not owned just claimed bit by bit over the years frontages. Happened to the others when the new flyover was built and the land department actually out pavements on their land, give an inch take a mile well known here

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » March 11, 2021, 4:20 pm

Fortunayely southbound i can get to the bigC trafficlights without using the ringroad. Northbound can get to Nong prajak without the ringroad aswell.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 12, 2021, 8:53 pm

I came out of Big C & didn’t particularly want to carry on up Nittayo Road to the the clusterfuck u turn by the fruit market or carry on further up to the bollards so took first left. I hoped to emerge either onto the ring road so I could u turn by Siam Grand or carry on up going parrallel to Nittayo Road.

It’s neither, all I found was a dead end 😂

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 13, 2021, 6:52 am

Niggly wrote:
March 12, 2021, 8:53 pm
I came out of Big C & didn’t particularly want to carry on up Nittayo Road to the the clusterfuck u turn by the fruit market or carry on further up to the bollards so took first left. I hoped to emerge either onto the ring road so I could u turn by Siam Grand or carry on up going parrallel to Nittayo Road.

If you had turned left into the SOI just past the Fruit/Fish/Veg market then you would have ended up on the ring road eventually

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 13, 2021, 7:45 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
March 13, 2021, 6:52 am

If you had turned left into the SOI just past the Fruit/Fish/Veg market then you would have ended up on the ring road eventually
Yes, I know.
It’s called Chandra Thip Road & I’ve already quoted it on a few shortcuts how to get across town on the real Udon Traffic thread. Like I said, I wanted to try not going up as far as the u turn.

I think you knew this & was really about to post thank you for the earlier help but when it got to the crunch you couldn’t bring yourself to press submit could you, you little tinker

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » March 13, 2021, 7:53 pm

Niggly wrote:
March 12, 2021, 8:53 pm

If you turned left just before big C you would have ended up at the ring road beside the hotel maybe that's the road you were thinking about 😜

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 13, 2021, 8:06 pm

dunroaming wrote:
March 13, 2021, 7:53 pm

If you turned left just before big C you would have ended up at the ring road beside the hotel maybe that's the road you were thinking about 😜
Is there a road on the left before Big C? You live & learn, going to have to keep my eye out for it

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » March 13, 2021, 9:03 pm

Niggly wrote:
March 13, 2021, 8:06 pm
dunroaming wrote:
March 13, 2021, 7:53 pm

Is there a road on the left before Big C? You live & learn, going to have to keep my eye out for it
It leads to the housing estate just behind what used to be Casper's roadhouse

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » March 13, 2021, 10:27 pm

dunroaming wrote:
March 13, 2021, 9:03 pm

It leads to the housing estate just behind what used to be Casper's roadhouse
I’ve only known Caspers from the ring road before Big C opposite Siam Grand but I know it was located elsewhere before. You mean the housing estate to the left as you’re looking at it.

I guess this is academic anyway, i was looking for a cut out of Big C so I didn’t have to go up Nittayo Road. If the road is left just before Big C I can’t get to it when exiting can I?

Return to “Travel & Transport”