digital QR code driving licence

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

digital QR code driving licence

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 25, 2022, 10:01 am

I’m not sure if it’s already been posted but the QR code license are now linked and available for identification on the DLT app

This doesn’t mean that when driving you can officially use your phone you still need the physical license, but for everything else it is supposed to be OK
https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/dlt-qr-li ... 1437216015
The Department of Land Transport (DLT) has confirmed that rather than using a physical driving license, motorists can instead use a digital license via the DLT’s mobile application.

In order to use the digital driving license, motorists must swap their existing license to a new ‘smart’ license, which includes a QR code on the reverse and will then be linked to the mobile app. The change can be made at any DLT branch.
Given the passport/ID card number on your license and having scanned the QR code it will retrieve your license information like this
456C3F13-A7CC-4FA6-AB46-C23076583A86.jpeg
Once logged in it will look like this
8038834F-ACFF-4B53-9A37-64F0C5255031.jpeg
You can record important information within the database so if logged in on a different device it will also show up. I now have it on my iPhone and iPad.

I didn’t need SWMBOs help as the translate app gave virtually everything I needed

Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Re: digital QR code driving licence

Post by Bandung_Dero » January 25, 2022, 3:21 pm

Been available for quite some time but as per Thai app engineering it's the pits. For a start, just to download the app you MUST tell Playstore (Google) you are in Thailand and that cannot be amended, again, for 12 months. There is no English option on the app AND it is not officially gazetted for use by the BiB.
I pissed with it for an hour this morning after seeing the article in TV, my licence has the QR code.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 25, 2022, 5:18 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
January 25, 2022, 3:21 pm
Been available for quite some time but as per Thai app engineering it's the pits. For a start, just to download the app you MUST tell Playstore (Google) you are in Thailand and that cannot be amended, again, for 12 months. There is no English option on the app AND it is not officially gazetted for use by the BiB.
I pissed with it for an hour this morning after seeing the article in TV, my licence has the QR code.
With the apple App Store its available in other areas, I use the U.K. App Store and it’s there, I did mention that you need the physical licence to drive, I only needed about 10 minutes to get everything loaded on both my iPhone and iPad so maybe the Android version is more complex. But TIT, YMMV

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 25, 2022, 5:33 pm

Confused of dinasaurland here again ......... If you still need your "proper" driving licence what in gods name use is having another copy of it? just as easy to show DL rather than faff around with bloody phone

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 25, 2022, 6:53 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
January 25, 2022, 5:33 pm
Confused of dinasaurland here again ......... If you still need your "proper" driving licence what in gods name use is having another copy of it? just as easy to show DL rather than faff around with bloody phone
You need the DL to drive. DLs are used for identification in many other places. If you don’t usually drive you can leave the plastic at home and use the app on the phone.
If you always carry your license it doesn’t help, many people don’t.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 25, 2022, 8:20 pm

In almost 20 yrs in Udon and all over Thailand, apart from police road checks, Ive used my DL for identification TWICE ...once at Pattaya floating market and once at a golf course in Chiang Mai (for age concession).

"If you don’t usually drive you can leave the plastic at home and use the app on the phone."

How many times would you think ..... oh I dont think i'll drive anywhere today, wheres my wallet, I must remember to remove my driving license to save me having the extra weight to carry ...... you wouldnt would you, If you drive you carry it anyway and if you NEVER drive you wont have one to remove, so it is purely Technology for technology sake, with absolutely zero benefit

Bonanza
udonmap.com

Post by Bonanza » January 25, 2022, 9:50 pm

Statto - Appreciate your logic. You (everyone) might like to look at Youtube - Rhod Gilbert, 'Live at the Apollo' , start at 7mins 38 secs. for the story of his sandwitch :D

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 25, 2022, 11:00 pm

Brilliant .... not seen him doing stand up before. Thanks

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 26, 2022, 1:38 am

stattointhailand wrote:
January 25, 2022, 8:20 pm
In almost 20 yrs in Udon and all over Thailand, apart from police road checks, Ive used my DL for identification TWICE ...once at Pattaya floating market and once at a golf course in Chiang Mai (for age concession).

"If you don’t usually drive you can leave the plastic at home and use the app on the phone."

How many times would you think ..... oh I dont think i'll drive anywhere today, wheres my wallet, I must remember to remove my driving license to save me having the extra weight to carry ...... you wouldnt would you, If you drive you carry it anyway and if you NEVER drive you wont have one to remove, so it is purely Technology for technology sake, with absolutely zero benefit
You seem rather confused, there are people who virtually never drive SWMBO is one, so it’s not a case of taking the plastic out of her wallet when she isn’t going to drive but a case of putting it in when she is. Neither is it a case of extra weight to carry but of extra bulk. Nor are you representative of all users, I have had occasion to use my DLs for ID at least a dozen times in the past few years

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » January 26, 2022, 6:53 am

Why. if you drive at all, would anybody NOT carry their driving license? What if theres an emergency and you need to borrow or hire a car whilst you are away from home? Nobody in their right mind HAS a driving license and then leaves it at home, so I stick with my orig comment that if you have a plastic license then its gonna be in your purse/wallet anyway. As an aside I passed my first test in 1971 and in the last 50 odd year I have lost my DL zero times .......in a far shorter period of time (when mobile phones became a thing) I have lost/had stolen my phone 3 times. Im sure who ever came up with the idea had good intentions (and at some time in the future it may actually be a benefit to have the system) but not at the moment.......perhaps the IT "staff" that comes up with these ideas could better spend their time sorting out the problems with other systems instead of introducing new ones. I can think of a thousand things in Thailand that would have benefited from the money completely wasted on producing this lunacy

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 26, 2022, 7:58 am

stattointhailand wrote:
January 26, 2022, 6:53 am
Why. if you drive at all, would anybody NOT carry their driving license? What if theres an emergency and you need to borrow or hire a car whilst you are away from home? Nobody in their right mind HAS a driving license and then leaves it at home, so I stick with my orig comment that if you have a plastic license then its gonna be in your purse/wallet anyway. As an aside I passed my first test in 1971 and in the last 50 odd year I have lost my DL zero times .......in a far shorter period of time (when mobile phones became a thing) I have lost/had stolen my phone 3 times. Im sure who ever came up with the idea had good intentions (and at some time in the future it may actually be a benefit to have the system) but not at the moment.......perhaps the IT "staff" that comes up with these ideas could better spend their time sorting out the problems with other systems instead of introducing new ones. I can think of a thousand things in Thailand that would have benefited from the money completely wasted on producing this lunacy
You are expecting everyone to be the same as you. News flash, they are not. You are also expecting that the current system is not in progress, again news flash it isn’t.

FWIW I passed my first driving test a couple of years prior to you & so far have passed all the tests first time, including one where the fail rate is 95%. One of my current in date licenses was issued in 1980. I have lost/had stolen 1 license and 1 phone. Not that that information is really of any relevance.

Your culture and upbringing may require the ability to borrow or hire a car at a moments notice others do not. Personally I have hired a car only with replanning twice and borrowed a car/van 4 times again all preplanned. For some countries borrowing a car even in an emergency is usually illegal and can lead to the car being taken and crushed, so there is that.

Return to “Travel & Transport”