Carryboy

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Chriss
udonmap.com

Carryboy

Post by Chriss » March 8, 2022, 5:47 pm

I'm thinking of adding a carryboy style unit over the bed of my 4 door truck. Will make things easier transporting the dogs.

Had a quick search here and found I'll need to have the addition entered into the truck blue book, a local test centre can get that done, but a neighbour tells me my yearly registration price will increase, he's saying could be double the cost. He's Thai and doesn't drive so I thought I'd ask you learned persons... anyone done this recently who knows if there is an increase and if so by how much. Cheers.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Carryboy

Post by stattointhailand » March 8, 2022, 8:35 pm

It was certainly the case years ago when I enquired (about 2005) but not sure if its been changed since. My next door neighbour transports her staff to their sales pitches every day and she had a canvas cover sides & top (just open at the back fitted to her pickup to keep them dry. Shes not short of a few bob so I'm assuming theres a reason she didnt get a full cover job done

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » March 9, 2022, 7:08 am

I believe but do not quote me on the wording, anything that enhances the vehicle in relation to the carriage of goods and people , not only has to be notified but also costs more to TAX

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » March 9, 2022, 9:33 am

And my next question for anybody who knows about these things, looking at canopies online Alpha Innovation have a product an EX-1, a standard feature is a fixed front window… does this mean when a canopy is fitted they remove the existing rear cab heated window? It doesn’t look like the opening window of the canopy is heated…
01FAA60E-E911-4864-959F-2E380127085F.jpeg
Front Window
01FAA60E-E911-4864-959F-2E380127085F.jpeg (19.79 KiB) Viewed 1752 times
Attachments
1D53ACA9-7E69-466F-8D58-A4A052F9ECAF.jpeg

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 9, 2022, 11:24 am

Chriss wrote:
March 9, 2022, 9:33 am
And my next question for anybody who knows about these things, looking at canopies online Alpha Innovation have a product an EX-1, a standard feature is a fixed front window… does this mean when a canopy is fitted they remove the existing rear cab heated window? It doesn’t look like the opening window of the canopy is heated…

01FAA60E-E911-4864-959F-2E380127085F.jpeg
The fixed front window is optional on other models of Alpha's canopies as well. The other option is a sliding canopy front window which is primarily an alternative for canopy ventilation when it's raining. It would also match with pickups in other markets that have a sliding rear window on the OEM cab. There's no pickup on the Thai market that has a sliding window OEM but after-market ones are available on alibaba and the like.

AFAIK, they typically do not remove the OEM cab rear window. Making a reliable and rugged weatherproof seal between the cab and the canopy as they separately flex is quite difficult and fumes and water leaks would be an inevitable issue.

Make sure that you remove any existing tint from your pickups back window and make sure that the installer doesn't apply any tint on the front and tail windows of the canopy. If it's wanted, just tint the rear one on the canopy. I rented a couple of utes from Budget that had canopies with tinted end glasses on a Vigo that already had a dark tint on the back window. You could not see ANYTHING out the back in the rear-view mirror, even in broad daylight. It's tough enough cleaning the road grime that builds up on the two close facing windows between the cabs as it is.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » March 9, 2022, 12:01 pm

Guess that should have been part of my question, if the OEM rear cab window is left and there’s a front window on the canopy, how much gap is between the 2, can you get your hand between them for cleaning… I was under the impression there’s a rubber seal around the edge of the canopy buffering it’s against the truck cab… if this is so maybe dirt and road grime doesn’t get between the 2.
Thanks for the tip about tinting, we’d need to have the tint on our cab rear window removed… there’s more to it than merely slapping a canopy on the back…

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » March 9, 2022, 12:21 pm

Chriss wrote:
March 9, 2022, 12:01 pm
Guess that should have been part of my question, if the OEM rear cab window is left and there’s a front window on the canopy, how much gap is between the 2, can you get your hand between them for cleaning… I was under the impression there’s a rubber seal around the edge of the canopy buffering it’s against the truck cab… if this is so maybe dirt and road grime doesn’t get between the 2.
Thanks for the tip about tinting, we’d need to have the tint on our cab rear window removed… there’s more to it than merely slapping a canopy on the back…
The glass-to-glass gap can be around 3 inches or more but the gap around the tapered edges of the canopy and the cab is much narrower to reduce wind noise. I couldn't get a hand in there and due to the curvature at the edges, you can hardly squeeze anything that will be able to clean the complete glass surfaces but you could modify something to fit? I would go with a front sliding window on the canopy so you can clean both windows completely.

I have seen those foam-filled, plastic skinned gaskets used around the extents of the windows, looks like a fat fridge door seal. The Budget rentals I drove didn't have them. Unfortunately, on a couple I have seen on other utes, they become brittle or the adhesive dries out and they eventually leak dust and rainwater. Maybe the materials they use are more robust these days? If it's part of the installation kit go ahead. Maybe they will hold up longer than what I have seen in the past.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 9, 2022, 6:14 pm

There is some crap you have to go thru to get the CarryBoy licensed.
1. Get your vehicle weighed at a registered weigh station with the option installed.
2. Make sure the vehicle is empty including the fuel tank 555555 (this created all sorts of problems for me at Nong Han).
3. Adds about 25 Baht to the annual license fee.
Have fun! I spat the dummy and had the brother in law take the pickup to Nong Han and do it for me 2nd time around!
Last edited by Bandung_Dero on March 9, 2022, 6:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » March 9, 2022, 6:17 pm

Watching some installation videos on YouTube the one thing I did notice was the canopies all seemed to have 2 sliding windows in the front, there was no rubber 'gaskets', for the want of a better word, applied. I see what you mean Tamara, the gap between windows is larger than the edges and agree you couldn't get your hand in for cleaning. A single or 2 sliding windows are pretty much a must have. I'll be in town Friday, a trip to motor spares alley is in order.

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » March 9, 2022, 6:21 pm

Mr Dero, thank you for your post, we have a local vehicle test centre who'll take the truck and do all the necessary to make tge canopy legal and entered in tge blue book ... 25 baht? Is that it....

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 9, 2022, 6:28 pm

Yep, there was no fee for registering, just a minor annual licence increase. If I remember rightly the weigh station certification was 100 Baht
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » March 9, 2022, 8:37 pm

Just a comment about the use of the Carryboy. In the summer months (if not most of the year) will it not be crazy hot inside for the dogs? I've seen some with a electric fan fitted but can't remember seeing them really used for carrying people or animals?

I've seen people using this style of bed cover before that you can raise/ You get the shade while maintaining the air flow. Just a thought

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » March 10, 2022, 9:54 am

deankham wrote:
March 9, 2022, 8:37 pm
Just a comment about the use of the Carryboy. In the summer months (if not most of the year) will it not be crazy hot inside for the dogs? I've seen some with a electric fan fitted but can't remember seeing them really used for carrying people or animals?

I've seen people using this style of bed cover before that you can raise/ You get the shade while maintaining the air flow. Just a thought
Get your point about the heat but I’ve seen a few canopies with decent looking ventilation systems kitted out with removable seating.. so I’m guessing they’re built to transport people. For standard canopies with electric fans, the idea of the side and now front sliding windows would help with air flow as well. I’ll need to look at how they’re built, insulated maybe…

My dogs would be over the side of the truck in the picture… plus a pet hate of mine is seeing dogs loose or leashed in the back of a truck.

Return to “Travel & Transport”