Summer travel to/from the UK

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Summer travel to/from the UK

Post by stattointhailand » June 7, 2022, 2:25 pm

GT93 wrote:
June 7, 2022, 7:26 am
stattointhailand wrote:
June 6, 2022, 11:42 am
747man wrote:
June 6, 2022, 11:11 am
stattointhailand wrote:
June 6, 2022, 8:57 am
At times like this I'm glad I've not flown for nearly 20 yrs :lol:
And So are a Hell of a Lot of OTHER Travellers are too.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yes i'm sure all the others that haven't had to fly for 20 yrs are pleased they dont need to mix with the oi paloy that jets around the world these days =;

Last time I flew into Thailand Swampy hadnt opened :-k
Really? Or is this Essex humour?
Really GT ...... the last time I flew into BKK was Oct 2005 (from Manila Philippines) and it was to Don Mueang (they still transfer my TM6 to my now 3rd passport)

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » June 7, 2022, 4:30 pm

samster wrote:
June 7, 2022, 2:11 pm
deankham wrote:
June 6, 2022, 4:24 pm
samster wrote:
June 2, 2022, 12:44 pm
Returned to the UK yesterday. No queues to go through immigration on entry but a longer wait for baggage. Perhaps coincidence or staff shortages.

Passed through the departure area. There was a small orderly queue to enter the terminal but, nothing extraordinary. It was about midday so, maybe the rush had passed.
Was that into Manchester Samster?

Only difference this trip is the wife will be with me so we'll have to queue for the foreign passports, which is probably just as bad at Heathrow as Manchester???
Yes, Manchester. No queues at all at Immigration to enter UK.

I've used the UK citizens lane when travelling with my partners. Conversely, I've also used the foreign nationals one when travelling with them if the queue was shorter!
Excellent, thanks Samster. My first port of call is York when getting to UK, so Manchester is easier as can fly direct from Doha. Staff are still fooking miserable though in Manchester!! :-"

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 7, 2022, 5:04 pm

Hardly surprising is it? You were just passing through, they have to spend 24/7 in Manchester

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » June 8, 2022, 2:12 pm

deankham wrote:
June 7, 2022, 4:30 pm
Excellent, thanks Samster. My first port of call is York when getting to UK, so Manchester is easier as can fly direct from Doha. Staff are still fooking miserable though in Manchester!! :-"
I'm travelling back to Thailand at the end of the month so, will post again about exiting UK.

Any feedback before then (if you're coming before me) would be useful.

York races this Friday. You'll find me with a glass of champers in the County Stand if you're there then. I'm the one with the thicko dunces cap on courtesy of KP.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 8, 2022, 2:40 pm

Bit of an upgrade from flat cap, pint of John Smiths and an t' ferret samster, what do Moss Bros charge for the morning suits these days? :lol:

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 8, 2022, 3:59 pm

samster wrote:
June 8, 2022, 2:12 pm
deankham wrote:
I'm travelling back to Thailand at the end of the month so, will post again about exiting UK.

York races this Friday. You'll find me with a glass of champers in the County Stand if you're there then. I'm the one with the thicko dunces cap on courtesy of KP.
I’m flying tomorrow, but from LHR so maybe not relevant.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » June 8, 2022, 4:54 pm

Any feedback would be useful given the cluster*** that is the UK at present STW.

We dont wear morning suits in Yorkshire Stats. Anything that only lasts half a day isnt worth having :D

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » June 8, 2022, 5:15 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
June 8, 2022, 3:59 pm
samster wrote:
deankham wrote:

I’m flying tomorrow, but from LHR so maybe not relevant.
Oh ! I Think it will,According to The Daily Mail the Queues for getting through Security are at LEAST 4 Hours.....Good Luck with that !!

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » June 8, 2022, 5:22 pm

samster wrote:
deankham wrote:

Actually my old Dad (he's still younger than OT and few others on here \:D/ ) will also be at the races also this Friday. I'll tell him to say hello if he sees a Daniel Craig look-a-like supping Champers :-"

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 8, 2022, 7:34 pm

samster wrote:
June 8, 2022, 4:54 pm
Any feedback would be useful given the cluster*** that is the UK at present STW.

We dont wear morning suits in Yorkshire Stats. Anything that only lasts half a day isnt worth having :D
OK. I’ll can post from the flight, if I remember, or definitely from the Al Mourjan lounge on Friday.

I think you are on roughly the same route, though with a different starting point, so do you have any food tips?
The flight crew were superb, the lounge staff excellent, the presentation could not be better. The actual food a letdown

So far on the flight over the Arabic Mezze was out of stock, the lamb belly was over cooked to the stage of almost becoming jelly.
8C855BE3-93C1-416A-B13E-12A20BB9522C.jpeg
In the lounge restaurant the beef was produced by Bridgestone and the salmon was crunchy on the outside and dry as a bone inside,
D6E306BF-57DE-4C16-AD3F-BD00C0A837EF.jpeg
the Eggs Florentine were excellent
F3906940-4EDC-4C47-A9F3-FFD4EC2EFED0.jpeg
A++++ for everything except the food.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » June 8, 2022, 8:44 pm

June 8, 2022, 7:34 pm
samster wrote:

OK. I’ll can post from the flight, if I remember, or definitely from the Al Mourjan lounge on Friday.

I think you are on roughly the same route, though with a different starting point, so do you have any food tips?
The flight crew were superb, the lounge staff excellent, the presentation could not be better. The actual food a letdown

So far on the flight over the Arabic Mezze was out of stock, the lamb belly was over cooked to the stage of almost becoming jelly.
8C855BE3-93C1-416A-B13E-12A20BB9522C.jpeg

In the lounge restaurant the beef was produced by Bridgestone and the salmon was crunchy on the outside and dry as a bone inside,
D6E306BF-57DE-4C16-AD3F-BD00C0A837EF.jpeg

the Eggs Florentine were excellent
F3906940-4EDC-4C47-A9F3-FFD4EC2EFED0.jpeg

A++++ for everything except the food.

I'm an Etihad man but think Deankham is a Qatar flyer.

The Etihad lounge in Manchester (which was excellent) is no longer there and you have to use one of the general ones (same as BKK). Abu Dhabi has nice shower and spa facilities but the food is just OK.

In flight, I quite like the steak sandwich which is available on every flight and have had a few decent meals but, again, generally just so-so. They do a nice Sauvignon Blanc.

Like you, I find the flight crew and staff exceptional (apart from the customer service hotline).

I'll probably try Qatar soon but, find it difficult to fly with others given Etihads loyalty programme.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 9, 2022, 12:03 am

samster wrote:
June 8, 2022, 8:44 pm

I'll probably try Qatar soon but, find it difficult to fly with others given Etihads loyalty programme.
I think that Etihad may catch up with Qatar in time due to competition but at the moment and this is not the case as they are at number 4 with Singapore and ANA above them. I think that Qatar has been in 1st place for 6 years.

The Qatar Airways’ Al Mourjan Business Lounge in Doha is in first place with the Etihad Premium Lounge at Abu Dhabi being excellent but there are quite a few rated as better.

I’m probably not going to fly much in the future but would fly Qatar again given the opportunity.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 10, 2022, 11:39 pm

samster wrote:
Zero delays at the boarding card scan or the security check.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 11, 2022, 7:11 am

I said it before so will reiterate. Travel anywhere Post Pandemic will be difficult until at least 2023, so I am not amazed at the problems this year and I am surprised that people still want to endure the hold-ups, queues and other problems. Unless they have to for business reasons of course

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 11, 2022, 8:43 am

Khun Paul wrote:
June 11, 2022, 7:11 am
I said it before so will reiterate. Travel anywhere Post Pandemic will be difficult until at least 2023, so I am not amazed at the problems this year and I am surprised that people still want to endure the hold-ups, queues and other problems. Unless they have to for business reasons of course
Only business reasons? I can't go home and celebrate our nan's birthday?

You're such a curmudgeon these days.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 11, 2022, 8:57 am

tamada wrote:
June 11, 2022, 8:43 am
Khun Paul wrote:
June 11, 2022, 7:11 am
Only business reasons? I can't go home and celebrate our nan's birthday?

You're such a curmudgeon these days.
If you were that concerned over your Nans birthday you would not have left in the first place , honestly fools live amomgst us daily

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 11, 2022, 9:21 am

Others may have had holdups, queues and problems for me;
->LHR through to airside zero queue at checking in, zero queue at security.
DOH -> security, zero queue -> plane 3~5 mins queue
BKK -> Thai Pass, zero queue -> immigration, zero queue (7:15am this morning)
BKK post office zero queue
BKK -> DMK shuttle, zero queue just 20 minutes waiting for the next bus

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 11, 2022, 9:37 am

June 11, 2022, 9:21 am
Others may have had holdups, queues and problems for me;
->LHR through to airside zero queue at checking in, zero queue at security.
DOH -> security, zero queue -> plane 3~5 mins queue
BKK -> Thai Pass, zero queue -> immigration, zero queue (7:15am this morning)
BKK post office zero queue
BKK -> DMK shuttle, zero queue just 20 minutes waiting for the next bus
Nice trip. I think the flight departure times and class of travel are factors though. The bulk of UK's flight woes are in the mornings with the LCC's, tour operators and regional and inter-European flights.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » June 11, 2022, 1:50 pm

Thanks for update STW. I'm travelling from Manc in a couple of weeks so, will update then for others.

As Tam says, time of flights is an important factor - unfortunately my flight is about 9.40AM so, might be an issue.

Were you fast track through immigration?

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 11, 2022, 2:24 pm

samster wrote:
June 11, 2022, 1:50 pm
Thanks for update STW. I'm travelling from Manc in a couple of weeks so, will update then for others.

As Tam says, time of flights is an important factor - unfortunately my flight is about 9.40AM so, might be an issue.

Were you fast track through immigration?
In the U.K. it’s just scan your boarding pass, there was nobody waiting, but yes on fast track, very few flights checking in when I did, so almost certainly not a class factor.

In Thailand I probably could have been due to age but due to there being no signage I was in general population, there was either 1 or 2 people ahead of me in my lane but with it going to two IOs no waiting.
tamada wrote:
June 11, 2022, 9:37 am

Nice trip. I think the flight departure times and class of travel are factors though. The bulk of UK's flight woes are in the mornings with the LCC's, tour operators and regional and inter-European flights.
I’ll agree with the flight times on immigration but highly doubt that class of travel had any influence on that.

For boarding the aircraft class of travel was, absolutely, the reason for no waiting. But the economy group was going at the same speed and queue time as always. The slowest would be BKK -> DOH flight but that is due to the approximately 700 economy passengers getting on 1 plane.

I’m actually in the Amari across from DMK as SWMBO said I needed to spend the money to get a shower and few hours sleep.

I’ll update on air Asia economy domestic DMK -> KKC in a few hours time if there is any interest.
& I can give flight times if there is any interest.
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on June 11, 2022, 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Travel & Transport”