Summer travel to/from the UK

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
AlexO
udonmap.com

Re: Summer travel to/from the UK

Post by AlexO » May 31, 2022, 3:11 pm

I have mainly used EVA and found them very good. The disadvantage was the BKK - LHR leg arriving into LHR early evening, which made onward travel difficult and at a time when I wanted to sleep. Thai was OK too.

Used to use EVA back when when the gang (8 or 9 guys) Used to fly to LOS for a holiday from Edinburgh. Back then, 20+ years ago, the EVA flight arrival at Heathrow was about 10pm and the last British Midlands flight to Edinburgh was scheduled to leave at 11pm. Was a sprint (or stagger) through Heathrow to make the last flight. Mostly had to go back to EDI the following day to pick up hold luggage. Those were the days.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » June 1, 2022, 4:42 pm

Would You even Bother ?? Errrrrrr, NO I CERTAINLY Wouldn't bother....ALL U.K.Airports are in CHAOS !!!

Pilot calls POLICE to free him and scores of passengers from plane 'abandoned' by ground staff at Manchester Airport as holiday chaos grows yet further with mother and child stranded in terminal for 22 hours and ministers at war with industry bosses
The pilot called police to help hundreds of passengers disembark the plane as it was sat on the tarmac
Families were stuck on the 'abandoned' TUI flight for three hours at Manchester Airport, due to fly to Tenerife
Ground crew who took so long to load luggage that the flight was cancelled, with no staff to help people off
It comes as a mother was stranded at Gatwick for 22 hours with five-year-old son due to overbooked plane
Others had dream holidays cancelled at the departure gate by text and bags left 1,100-miles away
By JESSICA WARREN and KAYA TERRY FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 23:57 BST, 31 May 2022 | UPDATED: 07:52 BST, 1 June 2022

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » June 1, 2022, 10:33 pm

You're right, Alan, people in Blighty are trying to depart the country for some bank holiday jollies and the airlines have cancelled lots of flights. Tui and EasyJet are taking a bit of flak today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61657590
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

pepesgrill
udonmap.com

Post by pepesgrill » June 2, 2022, 6:19 am

Alex0 , i believe new zealand is open if you want a
proper holiday. but leave the sheep alone y'hear

images.jpg
images.jpg (7.15 KiB) Viewed 2245 times

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 2, 2022, 6:52 am

Earnest wrote:
June 1, 2022, 10:33 pm
You're right, Alan, people in Blighty are trying to depart the country for some bank holiday jollies and the airlines have cancelled lots of flights. Tui and EasyJet are taking a bit of flak today.

Relax. The Transport Secretary Grant Shapps is all over this like a rash already. He's demanding answers! It's all going to be fine, like everything else touched by the Tories. Trust me on this one.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » June 2, 2022, 11:08 am

tamada wrote:
June 2, 2022, 6:52 am
Earnest wrote:
June 1, 2022, 10:33 pm

Relax. The Transport Secretary Grant Shapps is all over this like a rash already. He's demanding answers! It's all going to be fine, like everything else touched by the Tories. Trust me on this one.
RELAX You say ?? Is that After You've spent 22 Hours in The Airport & Then have yer Flight Cancelled ?? [-X [-X & Grant Shapps.....555 !!

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 2, 2022, 11:48 am

tamada wrote:
June 2, 2022, 6:52 am
The queue for the Eurostar was absolutely crazy the day before yesterday with a back and forth snake at least 10 deep the whole width of the ticket windows being fed down the length of the station turning by the Thames link train barriers then disappearing from my view outside so it must have been at least a mile long.
8B9DD5B4-497D-4167-95D8-5F509EF360E4.jpeg
Not my picture, but I saw the same
C987A3B7-04EE-4D58-AFA6-354520A58992.jpeg
Not my picture
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » June 2, 2022, 12:44 pm

Returned to the UK yesterday. No queues to go through immigration on entry but a longer wait for baggage. Perhaps coincidence or staff shortages.

Passed through the departure area. There was a small orderly queue to enter the terminal but, nothing extraordinary. It was about midday so, maybe the rush had passed.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 2, 2022, 12:48 pm

samster wrote:
June 2, 2022, 12:44 pm
Returned to the UK yesterday. No queues to go through immigration on entry but a longer wait for baggage. Perhaps coincidence or staff shortages.

Passed through the departure area. There was a small orderly queue to enter the terminal but, nothing extraordinary. It was about midday so, maybe the rush had passed.
It does seem that morning flights are bearing the brunt of staff shortages.

The travel industry is asking the government if they can bring in foreign workers to fill the gaps, pretty much like they did with HGV drivers last year. Of course the government has said no as there are other sectors with a higher priority (without saying what these other sectors are). I suspect another U-turn will be forthcoming.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 3, 2022, 4:10 pm

Wgeb the pandemic hit anjd travel was curtailed , I said then and I think i am being proven right. No intention of travelling 9 unless one has to of course ) until 2023 at the earliest as the Transport Industry will take a jit and LO and BEHOLD chaos in the UK, Spanish Air Traffic Control striking and hundreds of flights cancelled. .
I hate it when I am proven right ................hahaha

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 6, 2022, 7:05 am

KLM have been advising travelers to arrive at least 3 hours pre-flight for a while. More recently, Schiphol airport has been saying 4 hours. Their latest advisory is no hand carry baggage to speed up that security check bottleneck. They have also requested KLM cap ticket sales with no overbooking of flights so that pax missing their ticketed flight can find a seat on a subsequent one. They have also asked other European regional carriers do the same.

Being in-transit at AMS shouldn't be a problem unless the onward, local flight gets cancelled. I always try and grab a few extra hours on the layover to/from Bangkok. Avoiding morning flights/transfers would probably be prescient.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 6, 2022, 8:57 am

At times like this I'm glad I've not flown for nearly 20 yrs :lol:

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » June 6, 2022, 11:11 am

stattointhailand wrote:
June 6, 2022, 8:57 am
And So are a Hell of a Lot of OTHER Travellers are too.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 6, 2022, 11:42 am

747man wrote:
June 6, 2022, 11:11 am
stattointhailand wrote:
Yes i'm sure all the others that haven't had to fly for 20 yrs are pleased they dont need to mix with the oi paloy that jets around the world these days =;

Last time I flew into Thailand Swampy hadnt opened :-k

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » June 6, 2022, 4:24 pm

samster wrote:

Was that into Manchester Samster?

I normally fly into Manchester but with all the reports I'm seeing, am tempted to fly into Heathrow instead. Flew into Heathrow for 1st time in about 10 years in March this year. Took all of 5-10 minutes to queue for the biometric gates and was straight through. 15 minute walk to the Train....very easy and hassle free.

Only difference this trip is the wife will be with me so we'll have to queue for the foreign passports, which is probably just as bad at Heathrow as Manchester???

Totally changing the subject am looking at hire cars for 3 weeks in July / August. My god the prices are crazy! and that's before the cost of petrol. Almost tempted to buy a car and sell it again when we leave!

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » June 6, 2022, 7:40 pm

deankham wrote:
June 6, 2022, 4:24 pm
samster wrote:

I normally fly into Manchester but with all the reports I'm seeing, am tempted to fly into Heathrow instead. Flew into Heathrow for 1st time in about 10 years in March this year. Took all of 5-10 minutes to queue for the biometric gates and was straight through. 15 minute walk to the Train....very easy and hassle free.

Only difference this trip is the wife will be with me so we'll have to queue for the foreign passports, which is probably just as bad at Heathrow as Manchester???

Totally changing the subject am looking at hire cars for 3 weeks in July / August. My god the prices are crazy! and that's before the cost of petrol. Almost tempted to buy a car and sell it again when we leave!
Deankham, If you are a Brit, travelling on a UK passport, you can take your foreign wife (travelling on a foreign passport) through the UK citizens channel with you (when arriving into Heathrow). I have done so several times. (Assuming you can find a manned desk and not an e-gate).

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 6, 2022, 8:08 pm

I think you will find that it’s virtually universal that if married and traveling with your wife you can use the lane dedicated to the citizens of your spouse
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » June 6, 2022, 11:44 pm

^^ WOW, that is certainly news to me! Fantastic.
^ on my first trip to UK about 10 years ago with my wife they made us use the foreign passport line. This was at Manchester Airport after i very clearly asked the advice of the immigration officer telling people which of the very long lines to wait in!!. Every trip since we have done the same and they have never mentioned we could use UK passports lane. B'stards!

Just for my sanity, anyone else confirm they are doing the same into a UK airport?

When we enter thailand we always use Thai citizens and I always remind the wife how great it is. 😀

GT93
udonmap.com

Post by GT93 » June 7, 2022, 7:26 am

stattointhailand wrote:
June 6, 2022, 11:42 am
747man wrote:
June 6, 2022, 11:11 am
stattointhailand wrote:
Yes i'm sure all the others that haven't had to fly for 20 yrs are pleased they dont need to mix with the oi paloy that jets around the world these days =;

Last time I flew into Thailand Swampy hadnt opened :-k
Really? Or is this Essex humour?
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » June 7, 2022, 2:11 pm

deankham wrote:
June 6, 2022, 4:24 pm
samster wrote:

Yes, Manchester. No queues at all at Immigration to enter UK.

I've used the UK citizens lane when travelling with my partners. Conversely, I've also used the foreign nationals one when travelling with them if the queue was shorter!

Return to “Travel & Transport”