A380 Scrapped

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
mak
udonmap.com

Re: A380 Scrapped

Post by mak » November 14, 2022, 10:21 am

Thailand’s flag carrier Thai Airways International is considering expanding its fleet by reviving two Airbus A380 aircraft stored away for years to meet the rising demand for flights.

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » April 25, 2023, 9:01 am

Potamoi wrote:
June 28, 2022, 10:28 pm
sometimewoodworker wrote:
June 28, 2022, 3:06 pm
I would guess that you haven’t had the opportunity to experience the Qatar Q-suite or top deck front on the A380, I think that if you had your opinion could well be different, though of course they may not fly the route you need.
Right you are Sometimewoodworker.

My neighbor flies those Q-Suites often and recommends them highly although I think his are generally a 777's on most of his routes. He does occasionally get the odd A380 on the routes he flies which are apparently quite nice. April this year Qatar began the 380's to BKK from what I read.

Qatar being a OneWorld member make it all the more a compelling option over Emirates as well. One day we hope to try them out when traveling with my wife especially since some of the middle Q-Suites convert to a double suite nicely from what I see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yhZDsctiZg
A follow up on this - Apr 2023:

We did try the Qatar Q-Suites. Could only get them on the longer flights from Doha to North America on our recent trip. For the Bangkok to Doha connecting flights were standard business class which were so so in the grand scheme of things and I still think United Polaris Class on a 787 to be at least on par with Qatar normal Business Class on a 787 if you exclude the geriatric hostesses :-).

Now the Q-Suite is certainly the best Business Class I have flown. It turns a 16.5 hour flight into just two movies and the rest sleep. Fantastic. We were given the pair close together in the middle on the way back which were very nice. They removed the privacy barrier after takeoff so it made for a double wide bed but allowed us to recline at will without disturbing the other. They didn't allow advanced seat assignments on the return flight without forking over like 6500 extra baht via the Qatar website. Didn't quite understand that so we took our chances at the airport. I figured they would put us in those yellow or red flagged seats that SeatGuru warns about but we were pleasantly surprised with the "pair for couples"

Doha airport was very nice as well. Sound engineers really pulled off some magic there. So peaceful even with so many people. The Business Lounge was excellent too. The only little niggle I would have is that the shower rooms need a fan (but nearly all airport lounge shower rooms have this problem). The rest was great.

Thanks to STWW and my neighbor for recommending Q-Suites. I will try my level best to book these on future flights.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » April 25, 2023, 9:36 am

The 380 was a huge gamble. Many airports balked at spending the money to accommodate the huge aircraft. The 380 wasn't fuel efficient enough and runways were not designed for the massive weight, not to mention enough passengers to fill the huge plane. Scrapping the 380 seems like a waste.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » April 27, 2023, 7:32 pm

Emirates put there A380's back into use. We flew on them Bangkok-dubai-London last Friday/Saturday. Always a pleasant experience, even in economy, compared to smaller aircraft. Planes were full or nearly so. Food great and plentiful, if a bit slow in coming!

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » April 27, 2023, 8:26 pm

Potamoi wrote:
April 25, 2023, 9:01 am
The only little niggle I would have is that the shower rooms need a fan (but nearly all airport lounge shower rooms have this problem). The rest was great.
I quite like QR and Doha airport, too. The showers also have another problem, though. In July/August the cold water is often very hot. The problem apparently is that there is no water cooling system, and the water ends up often being just too hot to shower because it's stored in outside tanks.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 27, 2023, 10:18 pm

Sad to see this magnificent plane go. I did Sydney, LA, Miami and return some years ago as cattleclass. Quiet, smooth, the best budget aircraft by a country mile
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » April 27, 2023, 10:32 pm

AIrbus lost money on every one they built, and that's not counting the development costs.

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » April 28, 2023, 7:38 am

Udon Map wrote:
April 27, 2023, 8:26 pm
Potamoi wrote:
April 25, 2023, 9:01 am
The only little niggle I would have is that the shower rooms need a fan (but nearly all airport lounge shower rooms have this problem). The rest was great.
I quite like QR and Doha airport, too. The showers also have another problem, though. In July/August the cold water is often very hot. The problem apparently is that there is no water cooling system, and the water ends up often being just too hot to shower because it's stored in outside tanks.
When I lived in the Middle East in the late 80's, we had electric hot water tanks in each bathroom and the kitchen. The house/apartments were fully air-conditioned obviously so once the real summer hit we would simply switch off the water heaters making them now air conditioned "cold" water and let the rooftop storage (formerly cold water) become the hot side.

I know a little off-topic here but might still be a good work around for anyone living in a similar circumstance.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 1, 2023, 11:17 am

This review from an experienced pilot may be of interest

Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Return to “Travel & Transport”