US Flights - Recommendations

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Re: US Flights - Recommendations

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » August 4, 2022, 10:21 am

You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » August 4, 2022, 10:32 am

samster wrote:
August 4, 2022, 10:07 am
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
August 4, 2022, 9:17 am
he mostly relies on Uncle Charlie these days.
Mentally googling this, the only result I get is that I had an Uncle Charlie.

He wasnt very reliable and, rumour had it, had an eye for young girls.

In the absence of the other thread, I need educating. What's a reliable Uncle Charlie to a colonial?
Here is Adam Wainwright throwing the 12 to 6 curve. The announcer refers to to the pitch as Uncle Charlie,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7o39ggBcZA

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » August 4, 2022, 10:41 am

Thanks.

12 to 6? I'm guessing that refers to the grip? I did watch most of the videos but, it got a bit samey so, if that's explained, my apologies.

Sorry to OP for going off on a tangent.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 4, 2022, 12:31 pm

12 to 6 refers to a clock face - ball starts at 12, and finishes at 6 as it crosses home plate.

Here's the grip

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » August 4, 2022, 7:13 pm

Thanks. I've learned something today. It was still more of a thrill to watch Warnie bowling though.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » August 4, 2022, 7:27 pm

If you want to see poetry in motion you need to watch Justin Verlander pitch.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 4, 2022, 9:55 pm

Kenr6583 wrote:
August 4, 2022, 7:27 pm
Indeed.

I wonder which is his preferred carrier?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » August 4, 2022, 10:00 pm

Kenr6583 wrote:
Yes, he is my favourite pitcher in this era. I've seen him pitch in Toronto and Detroit. In Toronto he threw the only no hitter I have seen in person. I saw Nolan Ryan throw a number of them on TV. The first I saw was in the 1956 World Series when Don Larsen of the Yankees no-hit the Brooklyn Dodgers. Mantle got the winning run with a home run and saved the no hitter with an excellent catch in centre.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » August 4, 2022, 10:36 pm

samster wrote:
August 4, 2022, 7:13 pm
Thanks. I've learned something today. It was still more of a thrill to watch Warnie bowling though.
Wait! There's more about Wainwright and Uncle Charlie. The following is from Wiki: 'Why is a curveball called Uncle Charlie? "Uncle Charlie," or "Lord Charles," was one of the early nicknames for the curveball. This was taken from the name of Harvard President Charles Elliot, who was opposed to the curveball's introduction and saw it as cheating.'

'Why is Wainwright called Uncle Charlie?
Uncle Charlie originated from his Fantasy Football name that he used for his charity, Big League Impact. He created his Twitter account because of his charity and moved his nickname over. That's what it's been ever since. “Everywhere I go, people call me Waino or Uncle Charlie,” Wainwright said.Aug 18, 2019

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » August 4, 2022, 11:52 pm

tamada wrote:
August 4, 2022, 9:55 pm
Kenr6583 wrote:
Indeed.

Domestically, Southwest Airlines.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 5, 2022, 12:23 am

Kenr6583 wrote:
August 4, 2022, 11:52 pm
tamada wrote:
Kenr6583 wrote:
Indeed.

But United when on business.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » August 5, 2022, 1:29 am

tamada wrote:
August 5, 2022, 12:23 am
Kenr6583 wrote:
August 4, 2022, 11:52 pm
tamada wrote:
Kenr6583 wrote:
Indeed.

But United when on business.
Not a fan of United anymore, I fly either Southwest or First Class Delta. I do hear JetBlue and Alaska Airlines are very good, but I’ve never flown on either.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » August 19, 2022, 7:40 pm

The 'old timers' just keep pluggin' along.

Albert Pujols' pinch-hit grand slam backs fellow 40-something Adam Wainwright's gem for St. Louis Cardinals
ByESPN.com news services via via logo
August 18, 2022, 5:09 PM

ST. LOUIS -- Albert Pujols launched a pinch-hit grand slam and drove in five runs, Adam Wainwright pitched seven sharp innings and the St. Louis Cardinals routed the Colorado Rockies 13-0 Thursday for a three-game sweep.

According to Elias Sports Bureau, the Cardinals are the first team in big league history to have a player at least 40 years old hit a grand slam and another at least 40 to pitch seven shutout innings in the same game. Pujols is 42, 2 years older than Wainwright.

Pujols hit his 690th career home run, connecting off Austin Gomber and capping a five-run third that made it 10-0. It was Pujols' 16th career grand slam -- his first as a pinch hitter -- and it moved him into a tie with Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth and Dave Kingman for 10th-most slams of all time.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 19, 2022, 8:11 pm

Even amongst the esoterica of MLB statistics, that is right up there, Shado. :D

Anyway, to get back on topic, I have booked a Boston - San Francisco flight on jetBlue - which seems to consistently score well on US domestic flight reviews. About US$360, including the extra $30 for the privilege of including a suitcase.

I will report back in due course on both JAL and jetBlue.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » August 19, 2022, 10:42 pm

jackspratt wrote:
August 19, 2022, 8:11 pm
Even amongst the esoterica of MLB statistics, that is right up there, Shado. :D

Anyway, to get back on topic, I have booked a Boston - San Francisco flight on jetBlue - which seems to consistently score well on US domestic flight reviews. About US$360, including the extra $30 for the privilege of including a suitcase.

I will report back in due course on both JAL and jetBlue.
No, that is not what we want to hear. We want a report on the baseball games, stadiums, concession stands et al. You should alter your schedule somewhat to fit in a Cardinal's game with Wainwright pitching and Pujols playing.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » August 19, 2022, 10:49 pm

Shado wrote:
August 19, 2022, 7:40 pm
The 'old timers' just keep pluggin' along.

Albert Pujols' pinch-hit grand slam backs fellow 40-something Adam Wainwright's gem for St. Louis Cardinals
ByESPN.com news services via via logo
August 18, 2022, 5:09 PM

ST. LOUIS -- Albert Pujols launched a pinch-hit grand slam and drove in five runs, Adam Wainwright pitched seven sharp innings and the St. Louis Cardinals routed the Colorado Rockies 13-0 Thursday for a three-game sweep.

According to Elias Sports Bureau, the Cardinals are the first team in big league history to have a player at least 40 years old hit a grand slam and another at least 40 to pitch seven shutout innings in the same game. Pujols is 42, 2 years older than Wainwright.

Pujols hit his 690th career home run, connecting off Austin Gomber and capping a five-run third that made it 10-0. It was Pujols' 16th career grand slam -- his first as a pinch hitter -- and it moved him into a tie with Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth and Dave Kingman for 10th-most slams

These two guys, Pujols and Wainwright, are a pleasure to watch and follow. It is making me a fan of the Cards this year. I hope Wainwright plays a few more years, and as long as Uncle Charlie keeps working, he should.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » August 20, 2022, 4:30 am

Taking this thread a little further off-topic; as a youngster, the Redbirds were the only professional baseball team in the state of Missouri. I listened to the Cardinal's games on the radio and players like Joe Garagiola, Marty Marion, Red Schoendienst, Stan Musial and Enos Slaughter were my idols. Harry Carry was the play-by-play announcer in those days before moving to Chicago. Pujols and Wainwright are certainly at the top of my all-time Cardinal list, but Stan Musial will always be my favorite player.

St. Louis is one of the best "baseball towns" in the country. For decades, the "Birds" were the only bright spot for Missouri professional sports. I think 2022 might be a great year to become a part-time Cardinal fan.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » August 20, 2022, 5:24 am

Shado wrote:
August 20, 2022, 4:30 am
Taking this thread a little further off-topic; as a youngster, the Redbirds were the only professional baseball team in the state of Missouri. I listened to the Cardinal's games on the radio and players like Joe Garagiola, Marty Marion, Red Schoendienst, Stan Musial and Enos Slaughter were my idols. Harry Carry was the play-by-play announcer in those days before moving to Chicago. Pujols and Wainwright are certainly at the top of my all-time Cardinal list, but Stan Musial will always be my favorite player.

St. Louis is one of the best "baseball towns" in the country. For decades, the "Birds" were the only bright spot for Missouri professional sports. I think 2022 might be a great year to become a part-time Cardinal fan.
Stan the Man Musial, Schoendienst and Country Slaughter are some of my favourites too, but I also idolised Ted Williams, Kaline, Mantle, Banks, Mays, Foytack (Tigers), Kluszewski and many others. In the late Fifties and Sixties, Bob Gibson and Kenny Boyer were other Cardinal favourites. Verlander and Wainwright are my current favourites. I had planned to go to St. Louis last weekend to watch the games vs. Milwaukee but I decided not to go because the Toronto airport has been plagued by cancelled flights, lost luggage, long delays owing to covid vaccination checks, and so on. Wainwright pitched 9 innings, struck out 8, but St. Louis lost in extra innings in the Saturday game.

https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/video/ada ... -his-start

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 14, 2022, 11:27 pm

An update from 35000ft, flying economy class from Boston to San Francisco on Jet Blue.
Spacious and comfortable seating on an Airbus A321. Free wifi, including the ability to stream video (YouTube includes ads) without buffering. Free snacks and soft drinks, with more substantial food and alcoholic drinks available at reasonable prices eg Turkey and Cheddar baguette $13, beers $9.
I'll report on JAL PE after I get back to los.

Return to “Travel & Transport”