Motorbike test (350cc)

Want to know how to get somewhere, or where something is, ask here.
Handsome Man
udonmap.com

Motorbike test (350cc)

Post by Handsome Man » May 4, 2023, 6:50 pm

Does anyone know the process for getting the Thai motorbike licence from scratch with no motorbike licence from home country? In Pattaya it seems like pay an agency, do an online simulation and a few multiple choice and bob's your uncle. In contrast, my wife has spoken to the test centre in Udon and it seems like they are telling her it's a full-on two day riding around in a group, classroom study etc etc. Wondering if I would be better off taking my test in Pattaya then coming up to Udon to buy my bike - don't want to buy it in Pattaya as I will have to hang around down there for a couple of months with the red plates.
Cheers,
Paul

Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: Motorbike test (350cc)

Post by Whistler » May 4, 2023, 8:14 pm

Handsome Man wrote:
May 4, 2023, 6:50 pm
Does anyone know the process for getting the Thai motorbike licence from scratch with no motorbike licence from home country? In Pattaya it seems like pay an agency, do an online simulation and a few multiple choice and bob's your uncle. In contrast, my wife has spoken to the test centre in Udon and it seems like they are telling her it's a full-on two day riding around in a group, classroom study etc etc. Wondering if I would be better off taking my test in Pattaya then coming up to Udon to buy my bike - don't want to buy it in Pattaya as I will have to hang around down there for a couple of months with the red plates.
Cheers,
Paul
I got my motorbike license a few months ago, it sounds like similar situation.

I had Thai drivers license, but had not held a motorbike license in Australia for 50 years.

My Experience as follows.

Went to transport department on Khon Khan Rd and told must do 18 hours experience o Rd, do tests blah, blah, blah.

Was told to go to Smart Drive Nong Bua Rd, Nong Bua. They wanted 5,000 baht. You go in one morning, do thumb scan, go back at end of day, thumb scan off, do again next day so you qualify for 18 hours, but in fact you have done nothing.

The tried Udon Safe, on Kohn Khan Rd near transport office, their fee 3500 baht. I used them.

1. Show passport and letter from Immigration (500 baht) to show you are authorised to get a Thai license. In my case I had Yellow Book, so no need to show passport or show letter from immigration. Need a couple of passport pics. Need medical certificate from Dr or clinic

2. Thumb scan, paperwork, copies of everything, lots of lovely rubber stamps. Told to come back the following Sunday.

3. Arrived on Sunday, eyesight test, reaction test, parallax eye test.

4. Using their automatic scooter, had to drive around test track, very tight turns so not dead easy, I would hate to do it on my Chopper.

5. Taken to test room, had to get 45 multiple choice questions correct out of 50 questions, very hard and many stupid questions, some responses were downright wrong. I failed first time 42 correct, second attempt 44 correct, then the instructor 'assisted' and passed. Test was in English, but the corrected answers in Thai, go figure.

6. Following Tuesday went with Safe Drive person to Transport Department, issued full motorbike license, no restriction on engine size. I think it was 101 baht. License expiry linked to driver's license so both expire on same day.

Hope this helps
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 5, 2023, 6:43 am

Yep sadly many years ago when i was involved i a TV Intervoew at the Dept of Land Transport the same poor rainng for cars was shown as well as very poor m/cycle test. the only thing that has really changed is the test,as previously said answers do not reflect the questions, another Thai trait , guessing some answers might be a better option. However at least they have tried , but judging by the number of accidents and deaths t seems to no avail.

My advioce study for the test and emabark on a a few trips with an experienced m/cyclist toi gain confidence before venturing out on the oads, always wear a Helmet which many Foreigners do not and always remember to indicate another trait which the locals seem unable to do. Although having over the years seen how the indicator switch is located one wonders why they make it so bloody awkward

Handsome Man
udonmap.com

Post by Handsome Man » May 5, 2023, 6:46 am

Hey Whistler, thanks so much for taking the trouble to give such a detailed reply, much appreciated! I didn't realise you have to be 'authorised' to get a Thai licence, will have to look into that.
Cheers,
Paul

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 5, 2023, 7:24 am

Paul,

The license is an ID document, so must have valid visa. You can use for flying, booking hotels etc. If memory serves me right, same in UK. Certainly the case In Australia, but in Texas I did not have to prove residency for car license or to buy a gun.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » May 5, 2023, 8:15 am

[quote="Handsome Man" post_id=673171 time=1683201006 user_id=8974]
Cheers,
Paul
[/quote]

Paul, you have 350cc in the subject of this thread, is it 350 and up that requires a full bike licence now? I looked and test rode a 300cc and the sales guy told me a new law meant I'd need a full licence. Didn't have one, couldn't be bothered with the application process so dropped down to a 250 instead which I was told is good on a scooter licence... thanks..

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » May 5, 2023, 8:29 am

Whistler wrote:
May 5, 2023, 7:24 am
Paul,

The license is an ID document, so must have valid visa. You can use for flying, booking hotels etc. If memory serves me right, same in UK. Certainly the case In Australia, but in Texas I did not have to prove residency for car license or to buy a gun.
Thanks for the step by step, Whistler.

Hum, my wife was looking into getting a DL in Texas last month:
https://www.dps.texas.gov/section/drive ... er-license
Looks as if things changed since you were in Texas. In Arizona, New Mexico and Utah you also need to prove residency. Did not check other states.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 5, 2023, 9:02 am

Pot, 1986 when I got mine, things change I suppose. I was on a none expiry multiple entry business visa B1,B2. At the time my green card application was being processed, that took 3 years

gghh
udonmap.com

Post by gghh » May 5, 2023, 5:30 pm

Chriss wrote:
May 5, 2023, 8:15 am
Paul, you have 350cc in the subject of this thread, is it 350 and up that requires a full bike licence now? I looked and test rode a 300cc and the sales guy told me a new law meant I'd need a full licence. Didn't have one, couldn't be bothered with the application process so dropped down to a 250 instead which I was told is good on a scooter licence... thanks..
There is only 1 motorbike license, independant from engine size.
You need it for scooter as for big bike.
A few years ago they discussed a seperate license for big bikes... never happened

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » May 5, 2023, 7:33 pm

Got mine for 300 baht. Gone then are those days.

Return to “Travel & Transport”