Average Medical Costs in Udon Thani

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
tutone
udonmap.com

Average Medical Costs in Udon Thani

Post by tutone » June 3, 2009, 4:17 pm

I'm trying to decide how much medical coverage I really need (not what the insurance agent says I need) and I was wondering what some of the costs might be for some of the usual things here in Udon: private room at hospital, doctors visits, lab tests, x-rays, ICU, etc. Does anyone have any information, either from personal experiences or otherwise? Appreciate the help.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: Average Medical Costs

Post by Khun Paul » June 3, 2009, 4:22 pm

May I respectfully suggest you do NOT use Thai ins coy, AIA, BUPA or even possibly AIG are the big movers in the insurance world for health, they will give you reasonable coverage, BUPA includes everything, but possibly more expensive than others. Do not forget you can contact BUPA Bangkok or Korat directly, thereby leaving out the agents fee, which couod be better, also BUPA will take you on wothout a silly medical but naturally will not vcover pre-exisiting conditions.
Cost of sevices depends on hospital and what is required, to estimate you need a crystal ball.
Also payijg for OPD that is outpatients unless you artea sickly person, it is cheaper to pay as you go, as many ins coys will add up to 13000 baht for yearly OPD costs, I have never exceeded 5000 in any one year.

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » June 3, 2009, 4:24 pm

as for accident insurance it pays to keep at least 200.000 Baht coverage as for personal coverage that depends on you what you think you might need no one IMO can tell you how much you need

RALPHCUSENS
udonmap.com

Post by RALPHCUSENS » June 3, 2009, 4:49 pm

Not wishing to be funny, but how long is a bit of string? It depends upon what injuries or illnesses you incur, if god forbid, you were to have a serious heart condition occur, the cost could really escalate; Ambulance, Diognosis, intensive care,XRays, ECG, treadmill, Angiogram, stent fitted?, by-pass?, nursing fees, Dr's fees, medication, the costs could be endless, ending up millions(Baht that is!!)

I would therefore personally take the advice of the insurance company, In stating that, I would then decide myself, on how much I could afford, and negotiate down.

All this would be subject to obtaining several quotes, and trying to compare like for like, which could in itself be a challenge!

Best of luck, peace of mind comes at a price!! :-k :-k :-k :-k

tutone
udonmap.com

Post by tutone » June 3, 2009, 6:06 pm

Yeah, you're right Ralph. It is hard to pinpoint costs for a big surgical procedure, and I thought it would be a difficult question to answer. I was just hoping that someone might know for example, what a night"s stay (room cost) might be in say Aek Udon or Wattana. Basic things like that. I really should get up off my lazy a-- , and just go ask the hospital what some of their fees are.

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » June 3, 2009, 6:14 pm

I had to stay in AEK for 3 nights, 1,500 bht a night for the room (they have a range of 3 different room types). The whole nine yards cost me 16,000 bht, thats doctor visits, nursing, medication, xrays, there was no surgical procedures included in this.

RALPHCUSENS
udonmap.com

Post by RALPHCUSENS » June 3, 2009, 6:50 pm

tutone wrote:Yeah, you're right Ralph. It is hard to pinpoint costs for a big surgical procedure, and I thought it would be a difficult question to answer. I was just hoping that someone might know for example, what a night"s stay (room cost) might be in say Aek Udon or Wattana. Basic things like that. I really should get up off my lazy a-- , and just go ask the hospital what some of their fees are.
Well to give an example, A friend was taken to Poala Hospital (don't Know the New name) with a cut on his head after a fall, they insisted he needed an X Ray to be safe, he had 3 butterfly plasters on the cut, out in 1 and a bit hours, 9,700 baht lighter!!!

Extortion or what :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » June 3, 2009, 6:55 pm

My oldest son was just released from AEK for an appendectomy. He was in for about 4 days and the total bill was around 65K. My wife is a school teacher and has government insurance. They will reimburse 2/3rds of that.

tutone
udonmap.com

Post by tutone » June 3, 2009, 7:14 pm

These are the kinds of examples I'm looking for. Something to give me a feel for what costs are. Thanks everyone. Keep them coming. It might be of interest to others besides myself.

As for me, I had a mole checked and removed by a dermatologist with laser at Aek for about 2000 Baht. In and out in a couple of hours, very good results. Also had another visit to the Doc for about 400 Baht, but the Medication was about 600 (antibiotics and decongestants).

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » June 3, 2009, 7:59 pm

I sliced the tip of my pinky opened down to the bone, went to Paolo emergency. Xray, cleaning, stiches, and meds (Ibuprofen & antibiotics) all under 5000 bt.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 3, 2009, 8:40 pm

Uum...think you were done Papa (but I guess that is the X-ray)... :D :D
Came off a bike (yeah I know should know better) :( :( :(
Went to military hospital emergency..
6 stitches in head. 4 different meds (OK 1 was paracetamol, 1 was Ibuprofen, 1 was penicillin of sorts, not sure of the last) plus booster tetanus shot - 650 baht...
Return 1 week later to have stitches removed - 70 baht....

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » June 3, 2009, 8:52 pm

BobHelm wrote:Uum...think you were done Papa (but I guess that is the X-ray)... :D :D
Came off a bike (yeah I know should know better) :( :( :(
Went to military hospital emergency..
6 stitches in head. 4 different meds (OK 1 was paracetamol, 1 was Ibuprofen, 1 was penicillin of sorts, not sure of the last) plus booster tetanus shot - 650 baht...
Return 1 week later to have stitches removed - 70 baht....
Only 70bt and I thought I was saving money by removing them myself #-o

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 3, 2009, 9:09 pm

Coward that I am Papa I was still shaking far to much a week later to attempt that.... :D :D

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » June 3, 2009, 9:27 pm

Last week I had a teacher friend staying in Wattana hospital The room was 1,200 bht a night. As a govt employee the social gave an allowance towards it of 300bht a night.There are dearer rooms.
My wife was in for an operation at the Military hospital. They have two class of rooms.Private , no toilet in room 500bht, and deluxe , all facilities, 800bht.Again the social gave a fixed allowance of 300bht per night.I cannot speak too highly of the attention and care she received in there.

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » June 3, 2009, 9:46 pm

when I had my M/B accident I went to AEK were they suck up my insurance did very little to help me and when I got my self transferred to Udon Hospital (government Hosp.) I got a very nice VIP room it was two rooms together ask some of the posters who visited me Rito LA doc seymorebutts and few others I don't remember the cost but to guess it was about 1000 baht a day / I went to watana for my little boy to get cut that was 9200 baht and Bob my wife removed the stitches :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: BTW I got a full refund from Wattana after I complained they did not do the surgery correctly I later found out I was mistaken :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that was out patient surgery
no hospital stay

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 3, 2009, 9:56 pm

trubrit wrote:My wife was in for an operation at the Military hospital.I cannot speak too highly of the attention and care she received in there.
I was only an out patient but I would agree that they are very attentive there & certainly could not complain about the standard of care... Although they did have much amusement (the nursing staff) taking out the Falang's stitches - in a very good humoured way... :D :D

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » June 3, 2009, 10:35 pm

aznyron wrote:when I had my M/B accident I went to AEK were they suck up my insurance did very little to help me and when I got my self transferred to Udon Hospital (government Hosp.) I got a very nice VIP room it was two rooms together ask some of the posters who visited me Rito LA doc seymorebutts and few others I don't remember the cost but to guess it was about 1000 baht a day / I went to watana for my little boy to get cut that was 9200 baht and Bob my wife removed the stitches :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: BTW I got a full refund from Wattana after I complained they did not do the surgery correctly I later found out I was mistaken :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that was out patient surgery no hospital stay
Your son had a circumcision? Can't a Rabbi do it for free? :-k :-k :-k

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » June 3, 2009, 11:07 pm

A couple of years ago (just before Songkran) I had a bad bout of food poisoning combined with heat exhaustion which resulted in an emergency admission to AEK and an overnight stay.

The total cost for doctors, medical treatment, blood tests, drugs and room was just over 7,500 THB.

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » June 4, 2009, 7:17 am

Irish Alan wrote:
aznyron wrote:when I had my M/B accident I went to AEK were they suck up my insurance did very little to help me and when I got my self transferred to Udon Hospital (government Hosp.) I got a very nice VIP room it was two rooms together ask some of the posters who visited me Rito LA doc seymorebutts and few others I don't remember the cost but to guess it was about 1000 baht a day / I went to watana for my little boy to get cut that was 9200 baht and Bob my wife removed the stitches :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: BTW I got a full refund from Wattana after I complained they did not do the surgery correctly I later found out I was mistaken :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: that was out patient surgery no hospital stay
====================================================================================
Your son had a circumcision? Can't a Rabbi do it for free? :-k :-k :-k
======================================================================================
I/A I was talking about my self as for getting a Rabbi to cut me for one I am not jewish and I don't believe they do it for free.

tutone
udonmap.com

Post by tutone » June 6, 2009, 5:14 pm

tutone wrote:Yeah, you're right Ralph. It is hard to pinpoint costs for a big surgical procedure, and I thought it would be a difficult question to answer. I was just hoping that someone might know for example, what a night"s stay (room cost) might be in say Aek Udon or Wattana. Basic things like that. I really should get up off my lazy a-- , and just go ask the hospital what some of their fees are.
Well I finally did get up off my lazy a-- and stopped by Wattana hospital. I asked them about room costs and they tried to sell me some plan for discounts on services. I said no thank you, I just want to know what the cost of a private room per night is. After much consultation and discussion I was basically told I would have to actually be admitted and would find out when presented with the bill. I know they understood me because my Thai wife was with me and actually doing most of the talking. She says, "they have different rates", so I say, " well, what are they?" " You find out when you get bill. " So much for doing something the "smart" way.

And BTW I sent emails to Wattana and Aek Udon before this and in both cases got a failure to deliver notice from my email server. Its worse than pulling teeth trying to get a straight answer.

Return to “Health & Beauty”