H1N1 (Swine Flu) virus udon Thani?

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
martynsnowman
udonmap.com

H1N1 (Swine Flu) virus udon Thani?

Post by martynsnowman » July 3, 2009, 8:49 am

Does anyone know of H1N1 swine flu coming to udon ???
Daughter came home from school yesterday with letter telling us there is no school tomorrow ( Friday )
as they have to get the school cleaned and scrubbed out due to so many children been ill at the same time .

mak
udonmap.com

Re: swine flu udon ?

Post by mak » July 3, 2009, 9:07 am

I heard that Udon Pit and Prajak schools were closed. Two kids from Udon Pit were in Udon hospital with flu symptons. These are all unconfirmed rumours.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » July 3, 2009, 9:10 am

martynsnowman wrote:does any1 know of swine flu coming to udon ???
daughter came home from school yesterday with letter telling us there is no school tomorrow ( friday )
as they have to get the school cleaned and scrubbed out due to so many children been ill at the same time .
Don't know what school your daughter goes to Marty, but can confirm Udon Pittaya school are closed while they investigate a possible out break.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » July 3, 2009, 9:17 am

Ok latest as of 1525hrs Thursday 020709, informed by representatiive for health from Tessa Ban Nong Bua, There are 6 confirmed cases of swine flu in Udon province, 3 Udon, 2 Ban Sai ( I think that is how it is spelt) and 1 Ban Phu.
Udon Pit, and three other schools in the vincinity were closed as a precaution, Prajak was closed yesterday by Govt order for 24 hrs, Prajak is closed until the 13th anyway, so a day early made the students happy. Most schools are now closed until Thursday 9th
In fact why is was not closed midday surprised me as many students have brothers and sisters at the other schools so contamination had already occurred.
There are NO, I repeat NO recorded deaths in Udon Province from Swine Flu and if you read the news carefully, most die from other symptoms in which the Flu wasa the last straw as it were. In fact latest update ( girl from udon Pitt recovering )
Udon demographics means that almost everyone WILL visit Complex,Night market, Centre point over the next few days, so cross contamination is almost certainly to occur, after hearing the news from the UK, curtailment is no longer an option, treatment is.
In most cases ( MOST) symptoms are mild to almost non-existent, it is the Flu, albeit a variation, more people die in the world from travelling related accidents than from the flu, but that is not reported. Flu in its many forms can be a killer but to the elderly, very young and also people suffering from other life threatening diseases.
NOTE: Keep away from heavily peopled areas at all costs, and keep your personal hygenie high, apart from that keep well hope to see you all in the future.
The word is DO NOT PANIC.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » July 3, 2009, 9:28 am

Incidentally it is not referred to as "Swine Flu" but H1N1 virus.Presumably to protect the pig farmers Same as "Chicken Flu" was designated bird flu to protect the poultry industry.TIT :-"

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » July 3, 2009, 9:47 am

LOL! Actually trubrit in America it was first referred to as the Mexican Swine Flu, since the first reported cases were in Mexico. The pc crowd put a stop to that pretty fast. Some politically incorrect in the US still refer to it as the Mexican Flu. :-k

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » July 3, 2009, 9:49 am

jimboLV wrote:LOL! Actually trubrit in America it was first referred to as the Mexican Swine Flu, since the first reported cases were in Mexico. The pc crowd put a stop to that pretty fast. Some politically incorrect in the US still refer to it as the Mexican Flu. :-k
Correct!

And I still call it Mexican Flu.

martynsnowman
udonmap.com

Re: H1N1 (Swine Flu) virus udon Thani?

Post by martynsnowman » July 3, 2009, 11:00 am

can we farangs just go to hospital or doctors and buy TAMI FLU ( not sure spelling ).
for our selves and familys ? or is that over reacting ?

alby
udonmap.com

Post by alby » July 3, 2009, 12:04 pm

The WHO says most H1N1 cases are mild, with many people recovering unaided.
As the summit opened, the UK alone was projecting more than 100,000 new cases of H1N1 a day by the end of the summer.
From BBC

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » July 3, 2009, 12:51 pm

Novartis is producing a swine flu vaccine. It should be available in September. Tamiflu is normally used for the treatment of flu.

Astana
udonmap.com

Post by Astana » July 3, 2009, 12:57 pm

alby wrote:The WHO says most H1N1 cases are mild, with many people recovering unaided.
As the summit opened, the UK alone was projecting more than 100,000 new cases of H1N1 a day by the end of the summer.
From BBC
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8130097.stm

bjoehoe
udonmap.com

Post by bjoehoe » July 3, 2009, 2:43 pm

My landlord (thai) told me yesterday that a student at a high school in Udon had died from the flu. His family is teacher's, show they should know...
Maybe that's why schools are closing.
Myself, I got flu-symptoms after visiting Pattaya earlier this month.
heavy fever but just for 1 day, after which I recovered quickly. Just felt a little weak for a week.
I have had much worse flu than this. However I did not have a test to confirm if it was THE flu or not.

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » July 3, 2009, 2:49 pm

bjoehoe wrote:My landlord (thai) told me yesterday that a student at a high school in Udon had died from the flu. His family is teacher's, show they should know...
Maybe that's why schools are closing.
Myself, I got flu-symptoms after visiting Pattaya earlier this month.
heavy fever but just for 1 day, after which I recovered quickly. Just felt a little weak for a week.
I have had much worse flu than this. However I did not have a test to confirm if it was THE flu or not.
Symptoms are more than just fever and weakness, but I have also read that the flu itself is mild. Those who are dying have other health issues that complicate the problem.

macduff
udonmap.com

Post by macduff » July 3, 2009, 4:46 pm

I'm very concerned of the outbreak especially in Udon.If for example a farang is suspected of the virus,what should they do?.In the UK you have to call your local GP and someone will come out to you

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » July 3, 2009, 5:19 pm

If a farang has the virus we do what everyone else does here ...............PANIC, seriouysly, many many of us have had flu in one way or another opver the years we probably are better equiped to deal with it than our hosts (Thais), so do not worry, as for the Boy who died ostensibly of the Flu he had an allergic reaction he died from the allergy not the flu.......OK
As has been stated before I will state again
MOST PEOPLE WHO DIE WITH FLU SYMpTOMS DO NOT DIE FROM FLU ITSELF BUT FROM THE OTHER PROBLEMS THEY HAVE.
ALSO REPORTED MOST CASES ARE MILD, DO NOT BLOW THIS UP MORE THAN THAT
As for wearing masks, a tad late if its here we have either all caught it or not lap of the Gods
as stated before stay away from heavily peopled places if you can, Complex, night market places like that, for example.

You can go and get any jab you want , pay your money you get the jab quite simple really or hope you are healthy which most of us are I think

macduff
udonmap.com

Post by macduff » July 3, 2009, 5:46 pm

When you talk of getting a jab and paying for it. How much is it?.And would your travel insurance cover you for it?. Bearing in mind most if not all insurances cover you for this or does it.I would've thought there would be excess charges firstly on treatment if through travel insurance.

I'm not in Udon nor my family because of this virus at this time were in the UK but are considering going before the end of year.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 3, 2009, 5:49 pm

There are some official numbers to ring, if you get the symptoms.
Sadly I do not have them..... :(
If anyone returns from Laos (or, I guess, flys into BKK) then you are given a 'credit card' by staff set up just to medically check you into Thailand. Maybe if anyone returns soon (or actually is near the Bridge, as they are after Immigration on the Thai side) they can pick one up & put the information here....

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » July 3, 2009, 7:23 pm

H1N1 Thailand

Call the Department of Disease Control’s Operation Centre at 0 2590 3333 or MOPH’s Hotline Centre at 0 2590 1994 around the clock.

http://eng.moph.go.th/

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » July 3, 2009, 7:51 pm

Just heard from a teacher at Udon Pitt that a girl recently returned from a family holiday in America, has been confirmed as having the H1N1 virus and has been isolated at Udon hospital.So be safe rather than sorry, watch your kids closely for any symptoms.

bjoehoe
udonmap.com

Post by bjoehoe » July 3, 2009, 8:05 pm

macduff wrote:When you talk of getting a jab and paying for it. How much is it?.And would your travel insurance cover you for it?. Bearing in mind most if not all insurances cover you for this or does it.I would've thought there would be excess charges firstly on treatment if through travel insurance.

I'm not in Udon nor my family because of this virus at this time were in the UK but are considering going before the end of year.
If by a "jab" you mean vaccination, none is available yet. It may will be in a couple of months.
The official advice from WHO is now to treat it like a normal flu virus.
The difference from other flu viruses that has been around for years, is that this virus is new so the severity of it was unknown when it first broke out. Thus the caution and anxiety.
Normally travel insurances should cover all medical treatment, but confirm with your insurance agency if you feel insecure.

Return to “Health & Beauty”