For concerned Parents....

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
Farang1
udonmap.com

For concerned Parents....

Post by Farang1 » November 10, 2010, 7:12 pm

Something for the parents that are concerned about the health and well-being of their kids to think about.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20101110/hl ... JjaW5vZw--

I was at a cafe in a truckstop in the States. There was a couple seated a couple tables away from me that had 2 boys ages about 3 and 5 with them. Both parents smoked. When they left, they went out and got into a truck. My thought was, these kids don't have much of a chance being cooped up in that 8'x10' sleeper cab having to breath the smoke from 2 smokers.

Texpat
udonmap.com

Re: For concerned Parents....

Post by Texpat » November 10, 2010, 7:37 pm

But you didn't actually see them smoking in their truck ...

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » November 10, 2010, 8:15 pm

No, I didn't. But, I have seen very few smokers that were less concerned about getting their nicotine fix than being considerate to the people around them. Particularly, when in their own domain (vehicle or house).

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » November 11, 2010, 7:45 am

I'm waiting for the first arrest and prosecution of someone for smoking in the presence of a child. I certainly think it is child endangerment. :evil:

I want to send a thank you to that prosecutor and the arresting officer(s). =D>

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » November 11, 2010, 9:49 am

I'm not advocating smoking in front of/near kids, but until smoking is outlawed I'd say there's little you can do. Likewise a pregnant woman smoking or drinking. Likewise the woman who participated in a marathon while pregnant. Likewise the parents who might paint the inside of their home with enamel paint while their child gently sleeps. And, be sure to tell all the parents to turn their stereos down so they don't harm their children's ears. And what do you do about the neighbors who feed their kids sugar snacks for breakfast/lunch/supper? There are some things we don't like in life, but there are many things we can do little about. Stupid, but otherwise law-abiding, parents is one thing we have little control over.

grozza
udonmap.com

Post by grozza » November 11, 2010, 11:11 am

Are you still allowed to smoke at restaurants and cafes in america,In australia its banned im happy to say.nothing worse than somebody smoking when your trying to eat.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » November 11, 2010, 11:19 am

The report is a joke. It says.
Tobacco carcinogens were found in the urine of 90 percent of children who lived in a home where at least one parent smoked, a new study has found.

The analysis of urine samples from 79 U.S. children aged 1 month to 10 years also found that the average level of tobacco carcinogens in the children was about 8 percent of the level found in smokers.
Is anyone seriously trying to suggest that action should be taken based on tests on 79 children??

archie
udonmap.com

Post by archie » November 11, 2010, 5:29 pm

Anyone that smokes in the vicinity of their, or for that matter, anyones kids should have their forehead branded or have a tatoo that says F***WIT ! The brain capacity of smokers rivals that of an ant in the first place so you can understand why they dont give a stuff about anyone around them. If they really want to suck all of that SH*T into their guts, they should do it behind closed doors in their own premises so they cant affect any of us. The one thing that irks me about visiting LOS is having a meal at a retaurant and some arrogant F**KER starts smoking while people are paying to try and enjoy themselves and have a nice meal. God help any of you that decide to try it if you are sitting next to me having a meal. You will wish you had stayed at home !!!

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » November 11, 2010, 5:59 pm

Quite agree with you Archie. Unfortunately I seem to encounter a number of the types you describe.

I recently decided to have an apple pie and afternoon drink at a local eatery. So I am sat down eating said pie, with a drink, and watching a replay of the weekend's F1 on the TV behind the bar. Along comes a fellow countryman farang, plonks himself down in the very seat right next to me, buys some cigarettes and then lights one up. :mad: I got up and moved to the bar and finished my food & drink and then promptly left. I didn't say anything to him, as we were sat outside rather than inside. Nevertheless I consider it gross bad manners. Even before the law changed in the UK it would have been considered most impolite to smoke near anyone eating.

Second example, I am sitting in(side) a bar in town having a quiet beer, when in comes another farang, sits smack bang in front of/opposite me (less than 1m away), and lights up a cigarette. :mad: I got up and went & sat outside until I had finished my beer and then promptly left. Judging by the behaviour of the staff in that bar, and the fact that at least 2 of the 3 were smokers, I think the irony of the situation and the fact that they lost a customer would not have dawned on them.

I despair that some of the farang smokers are even aware of their gross bad manners, and the non-smoking law is not enforced around here.

wazza
udonmap.com

U cant smoke in Cars with kids in Victoria , Australia

Post by wazza » November 13, 2010, 12:28 pm

Jan 1st 2010

http://www.vic.gov.au/news-detail/new-s ... ldren.html

Bravo. =D> to the government for introducing this

Farang1
udonmap.com

Post by Farang1 » November 13, 2010, 3:13 pm

grozza wrote:Are you still allowed to smoke at restaurants and cafes in america,In australia its banned im happy to say.nothing worse than somebody smoking when your trying to eat.
I can't speak for all States but, the ones that I have been in have varying degrees of smoking bans. The feds have banned smoking in all Federal buildings and vehicles. The States set their own rules. I was living in San Diego when California started work on it in the mid 80s. There was a whole lota flak about smokers loosing their "rights." Now, it is banned in all restaraunts. It was banned in bars for a while but, I think it has been repealed.

It Utah, the restaraunts can have a smoking area indoors but, it has to be completely inclosed with it's own ventilation system.

I tend to have experiences like Arjay's. Pick a table far away from everyone to enjoy a nice meal and someone will sit down at the next table and light up. :-&

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » November 13, 2010, 7:42 pm

Some US states still allow smoking in restaurants and bars without any restrictions.

Prior to returning to Thailand in 2007 I lived in Kansas for a couple of years. Smoking was legal except in government buildings. Luckily for me there was a website in Wichita, where I lived, that listed all the restaurants that didn't allow smoking in their businesses. I only went to those restaurants.

I pretty much agree with Archie, but those smokers should also have their lips cut off. Then we could easily identify those lipless f.ckwits.

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » November 13, 2010, 8:12 pm

For you Freudians out there. Just way is a cigarette called a fag, and a homosexual called a fag? Must have something to do with sucking.

Fag may refer to:

Fag, a colloquialism for cigarette
Fag, a junior boy who acts or acted as servant ("fagging") to a senior boy at a British independent school
Fag, or Faggot (slang), an American English slur for a homosexual or effeminate man.

grozza
udonmap.com

Post by grozza » November 13, 2010, 10:04 pm

I believe smoking should be banned in all inclosed spaces full stop.but having said that i have friends that like to have a smoke when there on the turps,most smokers i know agree that they shouldn't smoke where people are eating and try to do so.what makes it hard in thailand is a lot of restaurants are out side so smokers think im out side why can't i smoke,i shouln't have to go sit in the gutter to have a fag.what i think is that smokers should be more considerate to the people around them when they are going to light up ,to the guys who want to cut lips off and punch port holes in people. i don't know u guys but i train with a guy down the gym whos a heavy smoker but an absolute animal when he gets going, so my advice is just ask them to move away while your having a feed.

Return to “Health & Beauty”