Medical Insurance

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
snowman
udonmap.com

Re: Medical Insurance

Post by snowman » July 6, 2009, 1:38 am

I have Blue Cross Blue Shiels of Michigan guess I'd better check and hope I can use it In Thailand. Sure would be nice for me and the wife.

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » July 6, 2009, 1:50 am

A quick question... Anybody got insurance on pre-existing conditions? In my case Hypertension and Glaucoma... My insurance expires on 15th July but it is as much use as an ashtray on a motorcycle if I cannot claim on my pre-existing conditions. :-k :-k :-k

BarnicaleBob
udonmap.com

Post by BarnicaleBob » July 24, 2009, 1:03 am

I'm also trying to figure out what I'm going to do for insurance when I move to Thailand. I currently receive all of my medical coverage from the Veteran's Administration. The VA is covering all my medical needs, even the non service related ones. According to VA policy, I can receive medical treatment while living overseas at any U.S. military medical facility.
So my question is; Are there still any U.S. military facilities in Udon Thani or anywhere else in Thailand? If so, do they have a hospital on site?

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » July 24, 2009, 1:10 am

Barnicalebob, Bad news is there are no U.S. Military facilities in thailand, to include hospitals/clinic's. There is a JUSMAG office in Bangkok, but they are for the few active duties stationed in Thailand along with there families and they use local Thai TRICARE contract providers. :(

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » July 24, 2009, 5:07 am

Barnicalebob, I believe you have to go to Manila for VA treatment, care etc.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » July 24, 2009, 6:27 am

Bob,

The VA has the Foreign Medical Program. Basically, you are covered for any service connected disabilities while overseas, but you have to submit a claim for reimbursement.

Not sure how well it works, I've been trying to get an enrollment form since last year. Anyway, recommend you drop by a local VA and inquire & enroll.

Here's more info:

http://www.va.gov/hac/forbeneficiaries/fmp/fmp.asp

http://www.va.gov/hac/factsheets/fmp/FactSheet01-17.pdf

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » July 24, 2009, 7:50 am

irish Alan,
regarding pre-existing conditions, many insurance companies may either bar you for life for those conditions or, for a period of time depending on the severity and the the likely actuarial costs.
it is worth speaking to BUPA, many Thai insurances will just not take you on, apparantly you have to be 100% fit before you go with them or the else the costs are prohibitive.
I would be happy to give you details of the office in Korat, I fear the local agent is a money orientated person who cares little for the customer, while the korat office is politeness itself.

banpaeng
udonmap.com

Post by banpaeng » July 24, 2009, 8:35 am

Mr. Irish Alan. I used these folks in the past and were very helpful on pre-existing. They use to cover up to 50K US but now only 15K US for pre-existing. They also have an age limit to start.

AS you read it does become not perfectly clear, however if you call them they can usually clear up the misunderstanding. I was on this policy for 2 years. I know a couple of folks who have been on it more than that.

Hope you find what you need

https://buy.travelguard.com/tgi2/suppor ... x?br=&arc=

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » July 24, 2009, 1:27 pm

Thanks for the replies Paul and Banpaeng. I am now dealing with BUPA in Korat via an Udon based agent. I have just submitted the forms so just waiting for them to get back to me with figures.

Thanks again.

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » July 24, 2009, 2:04 pm

IA, I would recommend BUPA in Thailand. I've had family cover for the last 7 years or so and they have paid without fuss for every time we have needed to use it. As for pre existing conditions, I doubt you will get cover - but the way I look at it is that there is still a lot of things that can possibly go wrong and those things will be insured for the rest of your life. Add that to accident cover it still makes sense. IMO
Only downside is it's got a bit expensive since the GBP threw itself down a lift shaft.

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » July 24, 2009, 4:30 pm

old-timer wrote:there is still a lot of things that can possibly go wrong and those things will be insured for the rest of your life.
BUPA doesn't cut you off at 70 years of age?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 24, 2009, 4:40 pm

Apparently not WBU (well not Internationally, not sure if Thailand is different).
Is there an upper age limit for joining?
No, however membership does become more expensive with age. Other companies may have an age limit.

Once I've joined BUPA International, will you stop my cover after a certain age?
No, you'll be covered as long as you pay your subscription. Up till death. This may not be the case with other companies.
I would expect that the cost of cover could become steep though....

http://www.bupa-medical.com/faq.html

old-timer
udonmap.com

Post by old-timer » July 24, 2009, 5:06 pm

WBU ALUM wrote:
old-timer wrote:there is still a lot of things that can possibly go wrong and those things will be insured for the rest of your life.
BUPA doesn't cut you off at 70 years of age?
No, as Bob said, no cut off and the coverage will cost you the same as it would for the next 70 year old - whatever.

BarnicaleBob
udonmap.com

Post by BarnicaleBob » July 24, 2009, 5:08 pm

I am so glad this forum is here and I thank you all for giving me some solid leads concerning heath care coverage.

pongpong
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pongpong » July 24, 2009, 8:21 pm

I am insured through an American medical Insurance Company and previously through BUPA but would honestly say this new mob is better and about the same price but cover things that Bupa didnt cover including normal prescription charges dental reworks etc They are called Aetna are are easily found on the internet.

Return to “Health & Beauty”