Fitness routines

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Fitness routines

Post by BKKSTAN » September 25, 2006, 1:28 am

:) I was wondering if any of you have a fitness routine that you keep most of the time!
If so,what do you specifically do to stay healthy and fit? :)

panick
udonmap.com

Post by panick » September 25, 2006, 1:49 am

I'm still a bit young for a routine but swimmings a good all rounder to stay healthy without too much effort.....plus the benefits of eye candy too :wink:

dan115loop
udonmap.com

Post by dan115loop » September 25, 2006, 1:54 am

I run for 10 minutes on a treadmill 5 times on my aerobic day. I lift weights a few times per week also.

Stevo
udonmap.com

Post by Stevo » September 25, 2006, 1:55 am

In short..... Eat well, and excercise regularly :wink:

Specifically, in my case...

Food: Fish, chicken, venison... (minimum amounts of red meat, ie Beef)
Vegetables and fruit aplenty.
Excercise: physiotherapy (Pilates program), aquatherapy,
regular walks, and as much shagging as you can :wink:

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » September 25, 2006, 1:58 am

stevo:
and as much shagging as you can
that is the best exercise you can get, if you can get it of course.! :D

farang
udonmap.com

Post by farang » September 25, 2006, 2:14 am

Stevo wrote: as much shagging as you can :wink:
yep keeps me in shape,sod all that jogging walking ---- lol :lol:
as for eating well ,i allways get the munchies after a good shag lol :P

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » September 25, 2006, 2:16 am

that will be the pizza munchies then farang. lol
Can You Dig It Dug.?

farang
udonmap.com

Post by farang » September 25, 2006, 2:18 am

yep lol \:D/ if its not to late at night

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » September 25, 2006, 3:15 am

dan115loop wrote:I run for 10 minutes on a treadmill 5 times on my aerobic day. I lift weights a few times per week also.
i have a tread mill, expensive bugger it was so i try to use it everyday 15 mins in the morning and 15 mins early evening. i walk a lot too. but i am still unfit. must be the food,beer's and cigar's and chocolate and sweety's.
when i have a longer session on it i feel really good, so i know it works. :D

valentine

Post by valentine » September 25, 2006, 7:53 am

My recipe? Very simple. If you feel the need for those cream cakes coming on, have sex where ever you are, immediately, this stifles the craving and replaces it with another of equal satisfaction. This policy has led to me being banned from a lot of shops but overall has led to a decrease in my weight. :lol: :lol:

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » September 25, 2006, 8:00 am

valentine wrote:My recipe? Very simple. If you feel the need for those cream cakes coming on, have sex where ever you are, immediately, this stifles the craving and replaces it with another of equal satisfaction. This policy has led to me being banned from a lot of shops but overall has led to a decrease in my weight. :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: Possibly,you should consider taking your shoes off before having sex!That has kept me from being banned many times!The problem is that while untying the shoelaces ,energy is being expended that could alleviate your need for further exercise :lol: :lol:

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » September 25, 2006, 3:56 pm

Walking 'not enough to get fit'

Getting sweaty may be the key
Walking may not be enough on its own to produce significant health benefits, research suggests.
A team from Canada's University of Alberta compared a 10,000-step exercise programme with a more traditional fitness regime of moderate intensity.

Researchers found improvements in fitness levels were significantly higher in the second group.

They told an American College of Sports Medicine meeting that gentle exercise was not enough to get fit.

You've got to do more than light exercise

Dr Vicki Harber

Lead researcher Dr Vicki Harber said: "Generally, low-intensity activity such as walking alone is not likely to give anybody marked health benefits compared to programmes that occasionally elevate the intensity."

Dr Harber and her colleagues were concerned there was too much focus on simply getting people to take exercise, rather than on its intensity.

They compared people on a 10,000-step exercise regime, which they completed at their own pace, with a group whose routine was tougher, but which left them enough breath to be able to speak one or two sentences with ease at the end.

Both routines, which lasted for six months, burned off the same amount of energy. In total 128 sedentary people took part in the project.

Fitness measures

The researchers assessed impact on fitness by measuring blood pressure, and peak oxygen uptake, a measure of lung capacity.

They found that the step programme increased peak oxygen uptake by an average of 4% over the six months - but the figure for the moderate intensity exercise group was 10%.

Other markers of overall health, such as fasting plasma glucose levels and blood fat levels were unaffected by either exercise programme.

Dr Harber said: "Our concern is that people might think what matters most is the total number of daily steps accumulated, and not pay much attention to the pace or effort invested in taking those steps."

She said the 10,000-step programme did help to get people motivated - and was an excellent way to start taking exercise.

"But to increase the effectiveness, one must add some intensity or "huff and puff" to their exercise.

"Across your day, while you are achieving those 10,000 steps, take 200 to 400 of them at a brisker pace.

'Educated guess'

"You've got to do more than light exercise and move towards the inclusion of regular moderate activity, and don't be shy to interject an occasional period of time at the vigorous level."

Professor Stuart Biddle, an expert in exercise science at the University of Loughborough, said it was possible that the current guidelines on how much exercise to take were set too low.

"They are based on a little bit of an educated guess," he said.

"However, you have got to strike a compromise between physiology and psychology. The harder you make it, the fewer people will actually do it.

"It may be that very small changes to the fitness of a large section of the population would have quite a big impact."

Professor Biddle said there was no doubt that vigorous exercise was the way to get fit, but volume rather than intensity might be more useful in tackling issues such as obesity.

BBC.

muscle
udonmap.com

Post by muscle » November 28, 2006, 12:23 am

I am an oddly serious body builder on a strict diet. I lift twice a day. We have a treadmill for the wife, she also lifts. I am certified as a personal trainer and was working on a MS in Exercise Phys when 9/11 hit and I got recalled to active duty.
There are no serious gyms in this city and it would be a great business for someone to start. Any fitness center that also has a bar (Sanook) isn't really serious although the staff is cute. Equipment prices at the mall are beyond anything in the states. While in grad school, I was the strength coach for the athletic dept. Paying 1400 baht for a 20 kilo weight plate is nonsense. You could make a very decent business here with a good, simple free weight gym and a few educated trainers.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Re: Fitness routines

Post by Earnest » January 3, 2023, 12:23 am

Unbelievable but my running regime went to rat shh!t after moving house in October. No worries, I managed a 2.5 mile jog last Thursday then a 5 mile run this morning. I just need to maintain the discipline and keep the weekly mileage up. It might help if I aim for another race, just for focus.

What does your fitness routine look like for 2023?
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » January 3, 2023, 1:37 am

I gave up drinking after NYE 2022. Vowed not to drink anymore until the following year.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 3, 2023, 8:10 am

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 3, 2023, 10:12 am

Gardening is my fitness routine, constant digging, trimming, hauling off the waste etc, gets me up and out daily about 2 hours a day is the norm, this time of year two two hour sessions suffice.
Walking when I can, not spending time and money looking for a convenient parking space, park and walk . Unlike the local population which will use a motorbike to go 1/200 metres, I walk .

Eveerytime I hav to wander down to me nearest 7-11, I walk ,often people stop tp ask if I eed a life, I say no thankyou they think i am mad ( Thais and foreigners ) .
Spent most of my working life walking never did me any harm !!!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 3, 2023, 10:38 am

Firstly, the winner (even so early in January) of the Thread Necro of the Year goes to Westerby - 5880 days since the thread was previously used. :D

530km on the bike for December 2022.

3760km for the year.

If I can maintain that in 2023, I will feel well exercised. 🚲

marjamlew
udonmap.com

Post by marjamlew » January 3, 2023, 1:19 pm

In February I will start year 5 of what was a 5 year plan to try and be active for an hour a day. The plan has morphed into walking 10km perday which takes about 90 minutes and is usually broken into two or three walks. Only trouble I have had is a bout of plantar fasciitis towards the end of year one going into year two. I over did it with the jogging when I was still carrying too much weight for my feet bear. The cure was rest, the right shoes and sticking to a brisk walk.
My diet is still not ideal and I drink my fill every Friday. Main benifts are sleeping like a baby, waking up without any aches and pains and feeling ready to get into the day.
Watch Me!!

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » January 3, 2023, 1:46 pm

The bottom line as one of my friends said to me, at early 80 , getting fitter is counter -productive as I am so used to doing what I do, if I stop I will get withdrawal symptoms and then reverse everything and probably kill myself anyway.

Like the docto saying you should give up whateve you will live longe maybe 5 years....whoopee do, rather gp pissed, over weight and happy than thinner, right weight but bloody miserable .

Statistics never tell you about those who tried to keep fit but then died earlier than they should , those suffering from being overweight ( a lot !! ) yes to improve your quality of current living okay
But many overweight people also have other underlying health issues which need to be treated carefully with medical expertise assistance.
Diet is also a good way but it will take a lot longer , sadly here with most hings fried on the Thai Food Menu, it is hard to fully eat local foods.
when I came here I was 100 kilo, now 107 kilo over 20 years an increase of 7 kilo is nothing , age has only slowed me up and now work for shorter times and rest longer. Luckily I enjoy reasonably good health no undeluing issues

Return to “Health & Beauty”