Diovan Now Available as a Generic

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » June 18, 2013, 1:13 pm

Heads up to anyone taking Diovan (Valsartan)for high blood pressure, the patent expired last year and the generic is now available here in Thailand as Valatan. Manufactured by Silom Medical. I was paying 1240 baht for 28 pills of Diovan 160. Now paying 440 baht for 28 Valatan 160. That was the last branded drug I was taking. :D

TJ
udonmap.com

Post by TJ » June 18, 2013, 2:53 pm

Are you sure that Valatan is manufactured by Silom Medical and not elsewhere? Is there anyway to assure that Silom Medical has established credability for qualilty control and other.

Asian drug makers are in general not to be trusted. For example: The huge pharma Ranbaxy was discovered to be doing most things wrong and many things criminal: ...Ranbaxy's open secret: The company manipulated almost every aspect of its manufacturing process to quickly produce impressive-looking data that would bolster its bottom line. "This was not something that was concealed," Thakur says. It was "common knowledge among senior managers of the company, heads of research and development, people responsible for formulation to the clinical people.

Lying to regulators and backdating and forgery were commonplace, he says. The company even forged its own standard operating procedures, which FDA inspectors rely on to assess whether a company is following its own policies. Thakur's team was told of one instance in which company officials forged and backdated a standard operating procedure related to how patient data are stored, then aged the document in a "steam room" overnight to fool regulators.

Company scientists told Thakur's staff that they were directed to substitute cheaper, lower-quality ingredients in place of better ingredients, to manipulate test parameters to accommodate higher impurities, and even to substitute brand-name drugs in lieu of their own generics in bioequivalence tests to produce better results."
http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/20 ... e_rock.php

This is not to say that non-asian drug makers are to be completely trusted and haven't also been caught out.

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » June 19, 2013, 2:42 pm

TJ you raise a valid point. Any generic product may or not be the exact equivalent, not just drugs. I raised that point with my pharmacist and he assured me that the manufacturer was very reputable in the Thai medical community.

They have been in business since 1943 (almost as old as I am :D ), and they are fully certified. You can read about them on their website:

http://www.silommedical.co.th/en/index. ... t&content=

I always check out where my medications come from. After all, it is a matter of life or death.

Return to “Health & Beauty”