Blood donation

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
Doodoo
udonmap.com

Re: Blood donation

Post by Doodoo » October 31, 2022, 7:09 pm

Not a bad donation record for the UK

https://ca.search.yahoo.com/search?p=nu ... s&ei=UTF-8

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » October 31, 2022, 7:23 pm

The first section on the form.i completed this morning had 2 age limits dependong which kind of blood donation you were doing .. they were 60 and 70 years ..but i didnt read anymore detail.than that.

Dm.
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » October 31, 2022, 7:56 pm

The red cross office is next to the governor house. I'd venture a guess you could find an English speaking person there who could explain the criteria.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 31, 2022, 8:39 pm

Doodoo wrote:
October 31, 2022, 7:09 pm
Not a bad donation record for the UK

https://ca.search.yahoo.com/search?p=nu ... s&ei=UTF-8
Thank you, I had no idea that I was a bit over 3 times the average, maybe it was the 200cc of beer (a very small can) or the fresh roast beef sandwich I got each time I visited that kept me coming back.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » October 31, 2022, 11:36 pm

I once went to give blood after an appeal on Udonmap, for a girl with a head injury. They declined, said i was too old. I was 60 at the time. The girl died.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » November 1, 2022, 7:48 am

Requirements for donating blood in Thailand and there are alot of them
https://tastythailand.com/who-cannot-do ... ho-cannot/

1) You must weigh at least 45kg, be in good health and be fit to donate blood

2) Must be 17 to 70 years of age. Donors who are 17 years old must have parental consent, and first-time donors cannot be more than 55 years old.

3) If you are over 55 years old and have never given blood before, you will not be able to.

4) Non-Thais making donations must have been living in the Kingdom for at least six months before they can donate blood.

5) In the case of donors 60-65 years old

must have been donating blood regularly until you reached age 60
can donate blood only three times a year
must have a Complete Blood Count (CBC) conducted each time before you donate blood
must have Serum Ferritin (SF) and Blood Chemistry (BC) checks done every year before donating blood
must have a doctor or registered nurse determine and record the result of SF, haemoglobin (Hb) and Hematocrit tests and blood pressure and approve you making a blood donation
6) In the case of donors 65-70 years old:

must have been donating blood regularly while you were between 60-65 years old
you can only donate blood twice a year, or every six months
must have CBC checked every time before donating blood
must have BC, SF, and EKG checked once a year before donating blood
must have medical certificate by your doctor or a doctor from the blood donation centre approving you to donate blood

7) Donors must have enough rest, at least six hours sleep, the night before donating blood

8) No diarrhea or stomach problems within the past seven days. You must also not have a cold or fever

9) Pregnant women, new mothers, mothers who are still breast feeding and women who had a miscarriage in the past six months are all not allowed to give blood.

10) Donors weight must be stable or normal. If you had dramatic changes within the past three months without a reasonable explanation, you will not be allowed to give blood.

11) People who have taken aspirin, muscle-relaxant medication or painkillers within the past 3 days will not be allowed to give blood. People who have taken any anti-infection medication (such as antibiotics) within the past seven days will also not be allowed to give blood.

12) Donors must not have asthma, any skin infections, tuberculosis (TB) or any allergies.

13) Donors must not have high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, kidney disease, lung disease, cancer, thyroid problems, hemophilia or other diseases or medical conditions.

14) If have had any dental work done, such as tooth extraction, filling, root-canal treatment, plague removal, you must wait at least three days before donating blood.

15) If you had a major surgery, you must wait at least six months. If you have had minor surgery, you must wait one month before donating blood.

16) You or your partner must not have “sexual deviation”. (no idea what this means?)

17) You must have no history of drug use, or have been clear for at least three years and maintain good health.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 1, 2022, 8:02 am

Having read and completed the donation selection form.in English just yesterday it pretty much tallies with doodoo previous post .. its a very simple form.to complete.

17 to.70 yrs is correct ... but number 2 and 3 on the previous post dont however add up.as in reality i first started donating last May at the age of 57.

The only pre checks are a blood pressure reading and weight check the rest are tick a box medical.questions on the selection form... there is a small reception area to DIY BP check n weight and 6 seating units in another area to donate once selected ok .. after donation which took less than 5 mins you are asked to remain a further 10 mins in a small area with a sofa ..where you are given a drink cake a plaster and 10 tablets to take home

Very smooth well.run operation ...

Point to note there are 2 different types of blood donation ..Full.blodd and another i cant recall (began with A).

Dm

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 1, 2022, 10:41 am

Following on from the above, it was found and this is sad, that Thais generally do not give their blood UNLESS a family member requires it , seeing as most Thais are similar in their Blood groups it does not cause a problem. Trying to get donations aka The UK is hard work even more so here with the vast list of exceptions etc and reasons NOT to takle the blood of a donor .
All my life in the UK never took any tests before or post donation I have over 100 before coming here .

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 1, 2022, 10:52 am

Following on from my last post the general idea of using the Chief medical officer was to enable older foreigners to donate , this has since lapsed as my NOW DELETED explained `It worked well for five years , but now those with what is called rare blood groups have to pray that they do not need BLOOD

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » November 1, 2022, 10:55 am

KP ...IMO .. i think more Thais especially younger ones nowadays donate blood .. every seat was taken and all except the one occupied by a skin head pale face coffin dodger beer loving Scunthonian with high quality lert flowing through his veins were young including a very pretty lass (early to mid 20s) in the next chair chatted to me and commented its a good thing to do to help others and seemed quite proud of her already 10 plus donations..

The fact the hospital contacted me re my blood group being low in stock knowing my age leads me to believe the age limit isnt adhered to to the letter.

One thing not mentioned .. there must be a 90 day time space between each donation.

DM

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 1, 2022, 11:01 am

Yep the UK used to do every 3 months then 4 months then 6 months , being in the Forces we were considered GOOD BLOOD donors, over 500 in one location in one day every 3 months , told always not to drink afterwards, well we all ignored that .
Always stopped after we had had injection mayhem prior to an overseas posting as well were then full of all sorts .

The main reason was that as O Neg being so rare here less than 1.% in Thailand, it was a sort of safety net, sadly they have not addressed those shortfalls yet, so I pray not to require any blood.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 1, 2022, 7:11 pm

Received an interesting PM today on the subject of blood donations, but before I could reply shortly thereafter with my experience as a blood donor in Oz, the sender blocked PMs.

A pretty average act, I thought at the time.

Are you aware of anyone who would do such a thing, KP?

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 2, 2022, 7:09 am

jackspratt wrote:
November 1, 2022, 7:11 pm
Received an interesting PM today on the subject of blood donations, but before I could reply shortly thereafter with my experience as a blood donor in Oz, the sender blocked PMs.

Nothing to do with me, good idea but I am not that petty !! I even have you listed as a friend on PM list, why I have no idea, I my change that to blocked, depends on how I feel about you !!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 2, 2022, 9:26 am

Khun Paul wrote:
November 2, 2022, 7:09 am
jackspratt wrote:
November 1, 2022, 7:11 pm

Nothing to do with me, good idea but I am not that petty !! I even have you listed as a friend on PM list, why I have no idea, I my change that to blocked, depends on how I feel about you !!
I was a donor in my younger days in Oz, but after feeling dizzy afterwards one time, decided to make that my last donation.
Capture KP.PNG

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » February 19, 2023, 10:14 am

Just aheads up for those living in the Nong Wau So area, tomorrow the 20th Feb the mobile Red Cross team will be in Amphur Non Wai from 8am to about midday to those wishing to donate their blood, previous and new donors are equally welcome .Come along there are 5 regular donors receiving certificates of appreciation for having donated over 10 times, all Thai.
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » February 19, 2023, 11:24 am

Just checked, 1st time donors need to be under 55 years old.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » February 21, 2023, 9:37 am

After my last visit I got some shocking news. First of all I have anemia with white blood cells, then turns out I have sickle cell anemia too. Which is odd because it's associated with west Indians. To top it all off I thought I was A- .turns out I'm AHr- some odd blood group .pretty rare from what I understand. Waited 2 days and simply not available in Thailand. So now having bone marrow stimulation to increase red and white cells. On top of chemotherapy and radiation therapy I'm a bit worn out. Guess I won't be giving blood anytime soon. Just for info it took 2 days and cost near 4600b just for blood tests at the general hospital.a bit more than the usual 300b
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 21, 2023, 9:53 am

papafarang wrote:
February 21, 2023, 9:37 am
After my last visit I got some shocking news. First of all I have anemia with white blood cells, then turns out I have sickle cell anemia too. Which is odd because it's associated with west Indians. To top it all off I thought I was A- .turns out I'm AHr- some odd blood group .pretty rare from what I understand. Waited 2 days and simply not available in Thailand. So now having bone marrow stimulation to increase red and white cells. On top of chemotherapy and radiation therapy I'm a bit worn out. Guess I won't be giving blood anytime soon. Just for info it took 2 days and cost near 4600b just for blood tests at the general hospital.a bit more than the usual 300b
You got a big fight going on Dean hope things improve for you.

I did call in at yours last week but no one there , explains why.

I donated blood ( Ar neg) on two occasions at UDGH , had a minor surgery and blood tests done at the Army hospital not been feeling right for a while turns out had a blood infection.. where did i get is my concern.

DM

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » February 21, 2023, 10:31 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
February 21, 2023, 9:53 am
papafarang wrote:
February 21, 2023, 9:37 am
You got a big fight going on Dean hope things improve for you.

I did call in at yours last week but no one there , explains why.

I donated blood ( Ar neg) on two occasions at UDGH , had a minor surgery and blood tests done at the Army hospital not been feeling right for a while turns out had a blood infection.. where did i get is my concern.

DM
Colin was at the hospital, told me you weren't feeling to well either. Hope it clears soon mate
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » February 21, 2023, 12:51 pm

Anaemia after chemotherapy and radiation therapy is fairly normal. Normally takes 1-4 weeks to recover. Protein, zinc good boosters.
Sickle cell? Sounds like nonsense. If you had sickle cell, a genetic mutation, you would have known about it your whole life. Sickle cell trait, which is when only one gene copy is affected, is not dangerous at all and actually protects you from Malaria to some degree. It is only dangerous to your children, if they inherit 2 copies. (my son is sickle cell trait, inherited from his mother).

Return to “Health & Beauty”