Watch your Weight.

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
papaguido
udonmap.com

Watch your Weight.

Post by papaguido » September 6, 2015, 6:29 am

Well that didn't take long...another thread going to crap :roll:

papafarang
udonmap.com

Watch your Weight.

Post by papafarang » September 6, 2015, 6:39 am

I was thinking about exercise , cardiologist recommended walking, not running. but wandering around in this heat is hard work. so i'm thinking a step up would do the trick, can be done in the shade with a fan on me so no over heating
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Zidane
udonmap.com

Watch your Weight.

Post by Zidane » September 6, 2015, 7:16 am

As you get older your metabolism starts to slow down and thats the reason you start to put on weight for no apparent reason.
Everything slowly starts going to pot.....the ageing process starts from around 30 onwards.....for many of us over here thats around half our lives already ! :yikes:
There are 3 nice lakes in Udon for exercising outdoors but,really,you either have to do it around 6am or after 6pm when theres not as much sunshine and its not as hot.
Theres one Thai guy in his 60's.....a retired policeman....who runs 5 laps of Nong Prajak,6 days a week,at around 5.30am......he does all the regional half marathons and 10k's over here and,not surprisingly,is very successful.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

GT93
udonmap.com

Watch your Weight.

Post by GT93 » September 6, 2015, 7:54 am

Yes. I think I recall reading on a noticeboard at my gym that we typically start to lose 2% of our muscle mass from a young age - it might have been around 30. Those with more muscle need more energy all else equal to sustain the body. As we age and have less muscle we need to eat less. But we often don't.

5 laps is pretty impressive. I often see some old biddies running around my neighbourhood now. I also see them in my gym. There is one old girl who must be 80 who does some weights. She's getting thin and fortunately wears long socks. Her legs might be distressingly frail. The elderly seem increasingly into exercise.
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

Jing Jing
udonmap.com

Watch your Weight.

Post by Jing Jing » September 6, 2015, 7:59 am

If you can vary your pace when you are walking around on one of the exercise paths that can help. You need to raise your heart rate in order for the exercise to have any effect.

I like the treadmill because its indoors in the ac and you can vary the speed and incline. It also seems to lessen the impact on your joints as opposed to walking on a hard surface.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Watch your Weight.

Post by papafarang » September 6, 2015, 8:27 am

treadmill is a good idea, but I just read up on walking football, seems interesting, same rules but done at walking pace, if you run it give away a free kick , and the ball is not allowed to go over hip height, they came up with it for us over 50's who are not in the best of shape, good cardio without doing your arthritic joints in. could be a good social meet up too...i'm in goal :lol: old fart united v walking street tigers :lol: . wonder if pitches are available at the new stadium ?
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

GT93
udonmap.com

Watch your Weight.

Post by GT93 » September 6, 2015, 8:33 am

I find a good trick to raise the heart rate while walking is to carry some hand weights and move them around. A pair of 3 kg ones work for me. You 100 kg plus fellas might need heavier ones although 3 kg ones with more vigorous arm movements should have your heart rate up easily.

I find walking on the spot at home with weights also works. I occasionally do this if it's pissing with rain.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Watch your Weight.

Post by papaguido » September 6, 2015, 1:42 pm

Doing something, whether walking, jogging or weight lifting is better then doing nothing.

I used to walk two laps around Nong Prajak, but found that wasn't enough for me and about 6 weeks ago I started running. I run one lap around Nong Prajak and eventually will work up to two laps. Immediately after I head for the gym working with weights for about and hour. I've made some progress losing weight, but most importantly I've manage to get my hypertension under control. My blood pressure is reading in the normal range and no longer take meds for hypertension.

I don't drink alcohol and I limit my sugar and carb intake when I can and I don't go overboard with my diet. I still enjoy a pizza or greasy burger with fries on occasion, but more lean meat, fish, purple rice (instead of white/brown rice) and lots of veggies.

old timer
udonmap.com

Watch your Weight.

Post by old timer » September 6, 2015, 2:18 pm

papaguido wrote: and lots of veggies.
Very important point, at least 3 portions of fruit and/or vegetables per day should be on everyone's diet. Being high in fibre I think it actually helps to break down the junk food.

What the Personal Trainers and Doctors say:
High in fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, fruit and vegetables may reduce your risk for heart disease, cancer, obesity and Type 2 diabetes.
I don't think that it will harm anyone to add fruit and Veg in their diet so it's a no brainer not to.

OT............... \:D/

old timer
udonmap.com

Watch your Weight.

Post by old timer » September 6, 2015, 7:40 pm

Salmon baked in the oven and boiled new potatoes with skin on for OT's dinner tonight. That's got nothing to do with watching my diet, it's because it's one of OT's favorite dinners. "I can't believe it's not butter" smothered over the crushed steaming new potatoes together with cracked black pepper is an absolute joy. A slab of Salmon wrapped in foil and baked in the oven is just delicious.

OT...................... \:D/

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Watch your Weight.

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » September 7, 2015, 12:14 am

old timer wrote:
papaguido wrote: and lots of veggies.
Very important point, at least 3 portions of fruit and/or vegetables per day should be on everyone's diet. Being high in fibre I think it actually helps to break down the junk food.

What the Personal Trainers and Doctors say:
High in fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, fruit and vegetables may reduce your risk for heart disease, cancer, obesity and Type 2 diabetes.
I don't think that it will harm anyone to add fruit and Veg in their diet so it's a no brainer not to.

Fruit like watermelon and pineapples are deadly for Type Two diabetics. They are loaded with sugar. It is best for us to stay with the berries, and dragon fruit (ຫມາກມັງກອນ, แก้วมังกร).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitaya
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

GT93
udonmap.com

Watch your Weight.

Post by GT93 » September 7, 2015, 1:24 am

I understand there's some evidence that consuming a small portion of nuts a day is good for managing weight. They have lots of fibre. It however takes a lot of self-control not to eat too many. Particularly when on the Shiraz.

FLICKFLACKER404
udonmap.com

Watch your Weight.

Post by FLICKFLACKER404 » September 7, 2015, 11:39 am

To lose weight burn off more than your throwing down your neck,to maintain weight eat the same amount of calories as you burn,to increase weight eat more calories than you burn,easy really but the hard work is keeping it off,its a life style change,if you go back to your bad habits it soon creeps back,stay away from carbs at least refined ones eat fresh fruit veg and lean protein,and do some cardio for weight loss

Asiaphile
udonmap.com

Watch your Weight.

Post by Asiaphile » September 7, 2015, 12:26 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:Fruit like watermelon and pineapples are deadly for Type Two diabetics. They are loaded with sugar. It is best for us to stay with the berries, and dragon fruit (ຫມາກມັງກອນ, แก้วมังกร).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitaya
Seriously?
t's a common myth that if you have diabetes you shouldn't eat certain foods because they're "too sweet." Some fruits do contain more sugar than others, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't eat them if you have diabetes.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-cond ... q-20057835

old timer
udonmap.com

Watch your Weight.

Post by old timer » September 10, 2015, 10:37 pm

OT was reading something about drinking cold water straight after a meal, and it was saying something like the cold water straight after a meal will make the fat from what you have just eaten solidify in your body and take ages to break down. I could understand where they were coming from since I've tried to clean a frying pan with solidified cold lard in cold water, it just doesn't work.
Anyway, OT not being a doctor and quite liking a glass of ice cold water with coffee and port the end of a nice meal, not everyday but on those visits to decent restaurants with a WFB, I thought I'd look into it further.
Turns out it's a complete myth, not OT having a decent meal with a WFB but the fat solidifying thing I was talking about earlier:
Haha what a joke. Now a days please post anything that even stupid will not beleive, live human body has atleast 36`C or 96.8 F. That's capable of making all freezing water u consume will become warm in minutes after getting into ur belly. As per ur case all Minnesota lung will freeze during winter when we breathe negative 15 degree air but it's not coz our normal body is capable of dealing with these... bring something else dear which will make some sense. ..
So it's a joke. According to this reply to someone asking the question. Not a very polite reply in OT's opinion, could have explained it better without the sarcasm.
Dr. Wazza, what do you think?

GT93
udonmap.com

Watch your Weight.

Post by GT93 » September 11, 2015, 12:36 pm

From the internet:

"The digestion of fat begins in the mouth where the food you chew is mixed with a small amount of lingual lipase that is found in your saliva. Lingual lipase is a digestive enzyme that breaks fatty acids apart from triglycerides.

Once you swallow your food, digestion continues in the stomach. A small amount of lipase is secreted into the stomach, but most fat digestion takes place in the small intestine.

Your liver produces bile, which is stored in the gall bladder until it's triggered by eating foods that contain fat. Bile is released into the small intestine where it works like a detergent to emulsify the fats into smaller droplets. This makes it easier for pancreatic lipase to get to the triglycerides.

The bile and lipase break fats down into smaller pieces that are absorbed into the blood stream. The bile, which contains cholesterol, is either re-absorbed into the blood or bound by soluble fiber in the intestine and eliminated in the stool."

Basically you have some detergent in your guts OT sloshing around with the port and fat. :D

old timer
udonmap.com

Watch your Weight.

Post by old timer » September 11, 2015, 3:09 pm

GT93 wrote: Basically you have some detergent in your guts OT sloshing around with the port and fat. :D
Yes that makes sense. Looking at it other way, if fat could be dissolved by drinking very hot water there would be a lot less obese people.
The answer must be to have your bloodstream absorb only the amount of fat that the body needs to be healthy. Once the scientists have worked out that we will all be slim. All the slimming products seem to be aimed at making your body work quicker at buring fat, none of which have made significant breakthroughs.
Tummy tucks, gynecomastia reduction, gastric bands and liposuction are all on the up as quick fixes for those without will power.

OT................. \:D/

old timer
udonmap.com

Watch your Weight.

Post by old timer » September 11, 2015, 9:33 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?ebc=ANyPxKq ... jy7MsQJpug

Living proof (only just) that alcohol doesn't help when it comes to watching your weight amongst other things, hehehehe.....

OT........................... \:D/

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Watch your Weight.

Post by Khun Paul » September 12, 2015, 6:38 am

You know in reality reading all these posts, I do fear that the STRESS of worrying about ones weight and how to get thinner, would make more make the move into Rigor Mortis , than would die from the bloody fat you are getting so obsessed about. if your happy enjoy and live, after all you only DIE once .

Zidane
udonmap.com

Watch your Weight.

Post by Zidane » September 12, 2015, 7:48 am

Indeed,death can be fatal,KP ! ;)
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Return to “Health & Beauty”