diabetic diet

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
Ray.Charles
udonmap.com

diabetic diet

Post by Ray.Charles » March 11, 2016, 6:00 pm

I am looking for a source for whole grain, sugar-free, fat-free (or nearly so) flat bread.
What is in the menu of your diabetic diet?
I use Udon hospital, Army hospital, and lately Thonbury clinic for testing. What about you?
We can also exchange information about our diabetes doctor, medicine, etc.
If you consider some of these information to be too private for an open forum, please consider PMs.
Thank you for your help.

fdimike
udonmap.com

diabetic diet

Post by fdimike » March 11, 2016, 9:12 pm

Ray

Villa Market is a good source. You would be well served to make a trip to Bkk to view what is on the shelves in their main store. Buy what you need/want and then you can ask the Udon store to order more when you need to be resupplied. Best to keep the packaging so the local store can use the bar code to order more. I hope this helps.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Astana
udonmap.com

diabetic diet

Post by Astana » March 11, 2016, 9:34 pm

Ray.Charles wrote:I am looking for a source for whole grain, sugar-free, fat-free (or nearly so) flat bread.
What is in the menu of your diabetic diet?
I use Udon hospital, Army hospital, and lately Thonbury clinic for testing. What about you?
We can also exchange information about our diabetes doctor, medicine, etc.
If you consider some of these information to be too private for an open forum, please consider PMs.
Thank you for your help.
Where do you fall diabetic 1 or 2..?

Ray.Charles
udonmap.com

diabetic diet

Post by Ray.Charles » March 12, 2016, 6:45 am

I am type 2. My father was type 1, and so is my nearest living relative, a cousin.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

diabetic diet

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 13, 2016, 5:52 am

I am type two as well. The advice I received is to avoid all bread and rice since they contain starch, which will do no good for your weight or blood sugar count. However, when I travel on the bus in Laos (8-10 hour trips), I eat bread with peanut butter. The latter helps lower the blood sugar, and the bread is useful in stopping me from having to run to the toilet/bushes when on long journeys.

Dragon fruit (Thai: แก้วมังกร, Lao: ຫມາກມັງກອນ) is also excellent for diabetics.

In Canada I always have some dark chocolate handy when my blood sugar count falls too low, and I feel dizzy and sweat breaks out on my forehead. This is not so easy to do in Thailand and Laos owing to the heat so I have some Fishermen's Friends handy. This seems to help.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

diabetic diet

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » March 13, 2016, 6:07 am

You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

fatbob
udonmap.com

diabetic diet

Post by fatbob » March 13, 2016, 8:35 am

I also have type 2 diabetes, I read an article a couple of weeks ago about the vegetable 'Okra'. Apparently they are having good results with this vegetable lowering your blood sugar. You cut each end off 4 Okra's and place them in a glass of water overnight, in the morning remove the okra and drink the water. It is available and grown in Thailand but not common, I will be giving it a go.
For anyone that enjoys a beer in moderation with type 2 diabetes I find the San Mig light doesn't play havoc with my blood sugar.
As yet I haven't seen any doctors in Udon about my diabetes, if any one can recommend I am all ears.

GT93
udonmap.com

diabetic diet

Post by GT93 » March 13, 2016, 8:39 am

Okra, also known as ladies' fingers ...

Diabetes scares me:

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/amputations-d ... ng434.html

I think keeping close to our ideal weight is one of the ways to avoid it. What else do I need to do? I'd guess eat well - plenty of fruit and vegetables and not too much booze along with some regular exercise.

I've started having annual medical check ups in the last few years but the doc doesn't mention a risk of diabetes. I'd think she would if there was some evidence of risk given how very common this disease is now. I'm still the preferred side of 55 and more concerned about prostrate tests and diminishing libido ... :(
Lock 'em up - Eastman, Giuliani, Senator Graham, Meadows and Trump

wallylee
udonmap.com

diabetic diet

Post by wallylee » March 13, 2016, 9:33 am

Hi ..I have just been diagnosed with Diabetes 2, a month ago.
I use a Blood Glucose Monitor (BGM) ..its important to Test levels, I do mine in morning before a ride, to see how much ride will affect me, so Blood Sugar level (BSL ) stay approx levels where I won't pass out after/during ride.

Diet is extremely important, as with exercise .
For example, fruit, contains a lot of natural sugar, that effects BSL quite a lot.
After a 2hour 30 minute ride my BSL was 5.1.next day had half a banana, same ride, conditions..BSL was 8.1..
I have increased protein..to about 25 percent..was about 15 before, eat no sugar in any form, read labels very carefully..
Have been told can't eat any fruit that you have to take skin off before eating..and fruit must be strictly monitored.
Carbohydrates are not our friends anymore..not my opinion..medical opinions..

BGM's are very cheap, test strips cost around $20 a hundred, also the replaceable heads(has 6 needles in each head..are $10 a pack of 4..small ***** you can't feel it..
Doctors will tell you to get your feet looked at regular by Podiatrist, as it seems feet are susceptible to Diabetes.

The above is only my opinion, it is how it has affected me and what I have to do.

Medication taken is Diabex XR 1000..this is used to rid the body of sugars,,I think..for me though, no side affects.
When I see people eat cake, sweets, chocolate etc..I have no desire to partake..

Sugar is a killer for anybody , especially Diabetics..

Take care..
Attachments
Aviva_Connect_mmol_front.jpg
Aviva_Connect_mmol_front.jpg (14.18 KiB) Viewed 3216 times

papaguido
udonmap.com

diabetic diet

Post by papaguido » March 13, 2016, 12:25 pm

coxo wrote:I also have type 2 diabetes, I read an article a couple of weeks ago about the vegetable 'Okra'. Apparently they are having good results with this vegetable lowering your blood sugar. You cut each end off 4 Okra's and place them in a glass of water overnight, in the morning remove the okra and drink the water. It is available and grown in Thailand but not common, I will be giving it a go.
For anyone that enjoys a beer in moderation with type 2 diabetes I find the San Mig light doesn't play havoc with my blood sugar.
As yet I haven't seen any doctors in Udon about my diabetes, if any one can recommend I am all ears.
Have seen fresh/raw okra at Makro and also frozen kilo bags. Occasionally see it at Royal Project at Central.

Lone Star
udonmap.com

diabetic diet

Post by Lone Star » March 13, 2016, 1:43 pm

Last edited by Lone Star on March 6, 2019, 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

Ray.Charles
udonmap.com

diabetic diet

Post by Ray.Charles » March 15, 2016, 10:26 pm

My father, a Type 1 diabetic for 50 years until he passed away in his early eighties, was the most disciplined diabetic patient I had known. He lived on boiled vegetables, mostly papayas, home-made fat-free cottage cheese, whole wheat flat bread, lentil soup, and boiled fish. I am ashamed to say that during frequent trips to Geneva I lived on Foie Gras and Pomme Frites, butter-fried steak and Pomme Frites, and Raclette. My body paid back by blocking a major heart artery, Left Anterior Descending (LAD) causing a heart attack near my 50th birthday. Some collateral arteries grew around the blockage to let a small amount of blood pass through until first a balloon angioplasty, and when that failed, a stent was placed at the site of the blockage. Blood has been nicely pulsing through my heart since then. OK, that was about the heart.
My undisciplined lifestyle, overweight, no exercise, have contributed to my diabetes; but, it is my father’s genes that are mostly responsible. Genes from my mother who also lived until her early eighties are in a fight with my father’s to keep my diabetes at Type 2. My diabetes was diagnosed at the Bangkok Nursing Home (BNH) hospital in a blood test prior to a minor surgery about 10 years back; glucose level was tested to be near 350.
I should also tell you about my brain attack (stroke) that caused me to fall down during a walk through a rice field here. Udon doctors wisely suggested that I go to better equipped hospitals for investigation. I went to Bumrungrad in Bangkok and Srinagarind in Khon Kaen for MRA. Both MRAs showed a blockage on one of the two arteries that bring blood to the brain; it was caused by the same factors that caused the blockage in my LAD artery in the heart. The stroke was diagnosed as a Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA). Of course, it was transient: otherwise I won’t be writing this post.
So now you know about someone who has been attacked both at the heart and at the brain, and is still walking around, writing posts, and playing bridge whenever 3 more players can be found in Udon. I am 70, not thanks to my lifestyle, but thanks to my genes.
So where am I now? Slightly overweight with belly fat I am. For diabetic medicine, I take
- before lunch and dinner, 1 tablet of Minidiab/Glipizide/Glycediab/Depizide 5mg.
- after lunch and dinner, 1 or 2 tablets of Glucolyte/Metformin/Siamformet 500
For a year or two, I took Pioglitazone 30mg and kept dosage of Metformin to 2 tablets per day; that controlled my glucose well enough but caused swelling of my feet.
I monitor my blood pressure regularly. To keep it under 140/80, I take Norvasc (Amlopine) 5 mg and/or Loranta/ Losartan 100mg every day. My systolic (the first number) occasionally shoots up, but the diastolic stays under the limit.
I also take Simvastatin/Bestatin 20 mg each night to lower cholesterol and Aspirin 81mg as blood thinner.
I walk 30 minutes each day; will try to add some stretching and balance improvement to that. I also have a Nordic type exerciser at home that I just look at, until now.

papafarang
udonmap.com

diabetic diet

Post by papafarang » March 16, 2016, 1:04 am

ray there is no such thing as healthy product when it comes to wheat products, they are ok when we are young, but as we age all things are bad for us, on Mondays I make the best I can, low salt ,low glycemic bread made with honey rather than refined white sugar. truth is you need to stop eating the things you really enjoy. w everythingit's not the food ,it's the fact our bodies cant cope anymore, you need a diet change. low sats, low carbs.. well everything we like to eat sadly
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

diabetic diet

Post by Khun Paul » March 16, 2016, 6:13 am

I read all the previous posts with some sadness that so often people seem to ignore the fact the body changes as we age and so opften our lifestyle does not accept that fact. Diabetes can be a problem but my brother who was the senior consultant at stoke Mandeville Hospital in charge of the Diabetes centre, once told me during a conversation while I was trying to understand the illness, that there are no such things as good diabetic foods just a recognition of what you can eat and when . careful monitoring of your diet and you can eat almost anything , depending on how your readings are etc.
He often took a group of Diabetics some with Type 1 and some with Type 2 on holidays where there was only the basic foodstuff available to teach them how to live a full life by taking care of your diet and exercise .

I am sure were he able to he would input some sage advice to you all, however he can`t, so I offered my take on the situation as I see it.

fatbob
udonmap.com

diabetic diet

Post by fatbob » March 16, 2016, 7:00 am

How long ago was that advice given to you Khun Paul? Diabetes research is advancing all the time.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

diabetic diet

Post by Khun Paul » March 16, 2016, 10:41 am

Last year in a discussion I had with my brother, and sisters both eminent doctors, but as with all things age precludes constant updates, however the same basic principles are sound watch your diet and never over indulge. I am sure that many many foodstuffs labelled as safe for diabetics are playing on the scare factor as with many illnesses, take this and you will be OK. Unfortunately as those with Diabetes are too well aware one mans food is another's poison as NO two people are the same in reaction to simple foods . I know of one diabetic who although he has it lives dangerously in my book, but his comments make sense, I live pure and simple, sometimes I am ill often a passing phase which I work through. A brave man in my book but he enjoys life. there can be too often too much about this and that is bad for you when in fact education and discussion with your favourite doctor can allay many fears. The BIG problem here is that there are few dedicated doctors dealing with Diabetes. So many of you err on the side of caution .

Return to “Health & Beauty”