Perforator Veins

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
botaknh
udonmap.com

Perforator Veins

Post by botaknh » May 23, 2016, 10:57 am

Just posted this on TV but thought I would post here also

I have some incompetent perforator veins in both legs and this has caused a venous leg ulcer in right leg and severe numbness in both lower legs (according to various Drs at Khon Kaen University Hospital)

The hospital want to carry out a procedure to tie off the incompetent perforators under general anaesthetic, but as I have heart problems they want a cardiologist on standby and this has got me a bit nervous of "going Under"

I have now discovered on internet that there are less invasive options available now such as RFPA or TRLOP which are done on outpatient basis under local anaesthetic.

My question is whether these procedures are available anywhere in Thailand, preferably up in Khon Kaen or Udon Thani

Thanks for any advise.

udonmap.com

Perforator Veins

Post by 12345 » May 23, 2016, 12:02 pm

If nothing local, you may want to try Yahee Hospital, Krung Thep, as they are fairly renowned for cosmetic surgery.

botaknh
udonmap.com

Perforator Veins

Post by botaknh » May 23, 2016, 2:08 pm

12345 wrote:If nothing local, you may want to try Yahee Hospital, Krung Thep, as they are fairly renowned for cosmetic surgery.
Thanks for that. Never gave it a thought about cosmetic (varicose veins). My issue is not cosmetic but the procedures are the same. I've filled out a virtual consultation so see what comes back.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Perforator Veins

Post by fdimike » May 23, 2016, 5:51 pm

If they have to operate why not just ask for a spinal block. Very simple and will have you back to normal much quicker than general anesthesia. This will numb everything from the waist down.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

botaknh
udonmap.com

Perforator Veins

Post by botaknh » May 23, 2016, 11:31 pm

fdimike wrote:If they have to operate why not just ask for a spinal block. Very simple and will have you back to normal much quicker than general anesthesia. This will numb everything from the waist down.
Never heard of that but will look it up. Cheers

fdimike
udonmap.com

Perforator Veins

Post by fdimike » May 24, 2016, 7:08 am

It's the same thing they give to a woman who wants to undergo a pain free birth of her child. It's a simple painless injection in the back. I've had 3 surgeries here in Thailand (all in Bkk) using this method without any side effects.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

karonsteve
udonmap.com

Perforator Veins

Post by karonsteve » May 24, 2016, 9:35 am

In 2012 I went to Bangkok Phuket hospital as I had severe circulation problems in both lower legs. They recommended inserting stents.
When I had the problem looked at in the UK a few months later they performed an aorta and bifemoral bypass. The NHS in the UK is not known for overkill.... :lol:
I mention this only to show that a second or third opinion may be needed in Thailand.

Part of the diagnosis in the UK showed an incompetent perforator in my left calf which was in a short vein and was treated by injection as an out patient. No anaesthetic, no pain and walked out quite happily afterwards.

http://www.thepremierveincenter.com/con ... inois.html
" If the vein is short or small, then foam sclerotherapy injection under ultrasound guidance is performed. A small needle enters the perforator vein and a small amount of foam sclerosant material is injected. If the perforator vein is longer or larger, then a small catheter is inserted, and radio frequency energy with a proprietary catheter is used to seal the vein shut."

botaknh
udonmap.com

Perforator Veins

Post by botaknh » May 24, 2016, 10:18 am

Cheers Steve, I'll be getting a 2nd opinion by default as Khon Kaen university can't or won't do the RFPA so I won't go back. I'll probably end up in Vahee and get them to do their own ultrasounds

wazza
udonmap.com

Perforator Veins

Post by wazza » May 27, 2016, 12:26 pm

The bottom line here is, it needs to be done by a General Surgeon, with good vascular expertise.

Return to “Health & Beauty”