Legality of e-cigarettes??

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 21, 2016, 7:24 am

This report/translation has appeared on TV.
BANGKOK: -- A popular online police page has confirmed penalties for the possession of E-cigarettes. Users could be jailed for five years and producers face 10 years inside for flouting the law.

The advice from policewoman Sirirat Piankaew on the "Muat Ka" page comes in the wake of the justice minister's call for amphetamines to be taken off the narcotics list. Much confusion still reigns about the legality of e-cigarettes, reported Daily News.

Sirirat said that while there is actually no law forbidding the possession of E-cigarettes they fall into a category of goods that have not had tax levied on them and their possession therefore is illegal. Offenders could face five years jail or a fine of four times the value of the goods or both jail and fine.

The importation, sale and production for sale of E-cigarettes is also illegal with offenders liable to 10 year sentences for production and sale and a fine of five times the value of the goods or both. This law has been on the statute since December 2014.

All services associated with the smoking and promotion of E-cigarettes are also banned.
The quoted source document is here..
http://www.dailynews.co.th/regional/503825

& is in Thai, so I have no idea if the TV translation is accurate - but I suspect that it probably is!!

Seems rather harsh. I know that the Western world sees no difference between e & conventional cigarettes when it comes to no smoking laws but this seems over the top..

The tobacco industry trying to protect one of its' remaining markets? Or just a rather ridiculous interpretation of the current laws??

PhilJ

Post by PhilJ » June 21, 2016, 8:53 am

Good grief - I got off the real ones and got on to e-cigs. I feel much better, no smell, no smoke - terrific. I don't fancy some time in clink here!

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » June 21, 2016, 2:15 pm

BobHelm wrote:The quoted source document is here..
http://www.dailynews.co.th/regional/503825

Or just a rather ridiculous interpretation of the current laws??
Not so ridiculous for the Officer who wants to extract a big fine from you. It's the same law that they use when people cross the Lao boarder with too many cartons of cigarettes (there's a post about that somewhere on this forum).

The article is repeating what's written on this facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/talkwithpolicegirl/
Looking at the FB page its hard to believe that its any kind of an official announcement, but the laws quoted are real.

The law (concerning Customs import tax) has been on the books for decades.
Thailand's Commerce Ministry banned the import of hookah, water pipes and electric cigarettes in 2014.

As far as I know it hasn't been enforced on consumers. Maybe that's going to change.
Has anyone actually been fined or arrested?
PhilJ wrote:Good grief - I got off the real ones and got on to e-cigs. I feel much better, no smell, no smoke - terrific. I don't fancy some time in clink here!
Congratulations on getting off the stinkies! =D>
But in light of the above article it would be wise not use your e-cig openly in public anymore. 8)
UFF DA!

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » June 21, 2016, 10:00 pm

On another forum is a post about a guy who was recently fined for using a e-cig in Bangkok (Silom area). The BiB wanted 40,000B. After a discussion at the police station it was dropped to 3,000B.

Also (if you're interested) many pages of comments about this topic over on the big Thailand forum.

I don't know if this is going to be an issue in Udon, but if you use them its probably NOT a good idea to use a e-cig in public places now.
UFF DA!

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » June 21, 2016, 10:08 pm

This week , Australian Authorities have confirmed that these units are still containing carcogenics and non approved chemicals and they have actioned this.

Shell Oil company have placed these units , in the same category as Mobile Phones , not allowing them to be used or operated during driving, operating machinery , etc as well as not allowed to be used in non smoking areas.

Martyn
udonmap.com

Re: Legality of e-cigarettes??

Post by Martyn » August 27, 2016, 4:00 pm

Has anyone recently carried an electronic cigarette in their hand luggage on a domestic flight? I'm wondering if it's still okay to do so. I last flew (domestic) in May and it was okay then.

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » August 27, 2016, 4:58 pm

Flew to Bkk and back last week with my vaping device in hand luggage. Properly packed per airline rules: battery removed and put in a plastic batt case, 30ml of e-liquid in a ziplock bag.
Went through airport security x-ray with no issues.

As stated above, don't vape openly in public or you could have an issue with the BiB.
8)
UFF DA!

Martyn
udonmap.com

Post by Martyn » August 27, 2016, 5:24 pm

Cheers Jello. That's eased my mind big time.

MALC
udonmap.com

Post by MALC » August 28, 2016, 5:52 am

i flew from uk to swampy then on to udon.with my e ciggy in my computer case.in the overhead locker no problem.

Martyn
udonmap.com

Post by Martyn » August 28, 2016, 11:11 am

Malc - Thanks for posting your reply. I've just checked out a Thailand vapers forum and it would appear tread carefully is the name of the game. I may just put my e cigs in my suitcase and B & H it until I get to Udon.

Return to “Health & Beauty”