Diabetes and White Rice - scary

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
wazza
udonmap.com

Diabetes and White Rice - scary

Post by wazza » September 19, 2016, 6:09 pm

Just out today but some major papers published recently

http://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/h ... ary-drinks

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Re: Diabetes and White Rice - scary

Post by Lone Star » September 19, 2016, 6:30 pm

Stopped eating white rice over two years ago.

Occasionally do the brown rice or the black (dark purple) rice. But have pretty much eliminated all rice and starches from my diet except for some occasional wheat bread, but that's rare.

I just eat the stir fried vegetables and meat of choice as is ...
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

grievous
udonmap.com

Post by grievous » September 19, 2016, 6:36 pm

My had gestational diabetes when pregnant with my son. Our doctor informed us that Thai jasmine rice was the worst to eat for the condition and that Basmati was best out of the white rice. Brown would always be a healthier option though.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » September 19, 2016, 6:39 pm

* Wife

Alchai
udonmap.com

Post by Alchai » September 20, 2016, 12:06 am

No mention of sticky rice in the article. Anyone know where it is on the gluycaemic index?
We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » September 20, 2016, 12:46 am

I don't know the gluycaemic index for sticky rice, but it is very high in carbohydrates and just a small serving it too much. Avoid a call costs. (I think the index is low but in the system, it keeps supplying glucose for a very long time)

Alchai
udonmap.com

Post by Alchai » September 20, 2016, 2:47 am

But that would mean that sticky rice is not as bad as plain white rice then!? I would guess that Thai people in Udon/Issan area on average eat more sticky rice than white rice.
We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » September 20, 2016, 3:24 am

no the opposite Alchai, the starch turns to sugars when cooked, long grain has less starch and tends not to stick together, give it a good rinse first though.sticky rice is a diabetics nightmare. also a bit of scaremongering as in truth it would also depend on size of portion
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » September 20, 2016, 4:28 am

Alchai wrote:No mention of sticky rice in the article. Anyone know where it is on the gluycaemic index?
It is there right at the top, short grain rice = sticky rice. So 98 and the worst kind.
The rice with the highest glycemic index value (90s range) is sweet or sticky rice, which is the variety usually served in Asian restaurants.
http://www.emaxhealth.com/1275/which-ri ... e-diabetes
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » September 20, 2016, 6:14 am

If you really think about it, many of us had diets that in the main were rice free, for me more pasta based than rice based meals were the norm apart from the normal farang meals meat and two veg etc.
We come hare and like others I found eating all the not too spicy Thai meals, from bars as well as Thai restaurants, but not only did I find my weight going up, I really was not that well.
I am not saying this was due to the amount of Rice sticky or otherwise, but it was a complete change of diet and one my body did not appreciate at all. I liked the sticky rice one of my neighbours made really nice and a little sweet, but the fried meat that came with it was not doing me any good.
I switched to mainly eating only Farang food ( as the Thais call it ) , my weight dropped and I felt better, so it is not surprising that part of the problems here are related to rice, when it was almost only the main source of carbs the Thais were far more physical , walked everywhere or had bicycles, now their sedentary lifestyle motorised transport the carbs they eat are no longer used and sit in their bodies causing them more problems.

Return to “Health & Beauty”