Cataract surgery

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
sgt
udonmap.com

Cataract surgery

Post by sgt » July 30, 2017, 3:43 pm

I've used Dr. Usa at Bangkok Udon for years. My cataracts stayed at stage 1 but all of a sudden they jumped a category or 2. After pre surgery exam Dr. Usa said I need to either go to maybe Khon Kaen or BKK. She leaned toward BKK. My eyes, like me I guess...lol, are not normal and do not respond normally. They wouldn't even dilate. I'm extremely sensitive around the eyes and anything, including bright light near them will bring an uncontrolled reaction. A set up for emergency problems/complications.

Does anybody have any recommendation? I can make the trip to KK myself for exam there, but I believe I am going to need the latest technique. Money can be a problem but it's my eyes.

Although retired, I made a living with my eyes for years, eyes, hands and feet. I'd really like to be able to see properly again.

broon97
udonmap.com

Re: Cataract surgery

Post by broon97 » July 30, 2017, 4:02 pm

I had Supersight Surgery in Bangkok Hospital Pattaya, Dr Somchai. Google him.
He is expert in cataract and supersight.
Worth a visit and he will tell you what he can do and what to expect.
I am over 70 but have 20/20 vision now.

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » July 30, 2017, 5:06 pm

Thanks, will do. I went to that hospital many moons ago, before the addition. Highly impressed, oh my the eye candy, oops off subject.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » July 30, 2017, 7:48 pm

Rutnin Eye Hospital on Asoke in Bangkok is the premier hospital in Thailand when it comes to eyes. I had cataracts in both eyes replaced with a lens that even cured my severe astigmatism. I have been wearing eyeglasses all my life for my astigmatism, near sighted in one eye and far sighted in the other. The eye exam I received at Rutnin was by far the most extensive exam I've ever had in my life. I can't say enough good things about this hospital, its doctors, nurses and staff.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » July 30, 2017, 9:03 pm

Thank you. I will contact ASAP. I've had some astigmatism in my right eye, my master and shooting eye. Needed reading glasses since my 40's, but not worried about reading glasses. The astigmatism to a degree, yes, cataracts to a great degree.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » July 31, 2017, 6:01 am

Sgt if you do decide on Rutnin Hospital be prepared to for a day long visit evaluating your vision. They will check every part of your eye before giving you their recommendations. In my case they recommended I go with one particular kind of lens (3 were available) because of my severe astigmatism. The new lens not only cured my astigmatism but also most of my other vision problems. I only have to use reading glasses some times.

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » July 31, 2017, 6:29 am

I had the Crustal Lens implant done about 10 years ago. It was very expensive - about 10K - but it was the best decision I ever made. It is such a joy noy to have wear those bifocals any any type of sunglasses I want, not just prescription

i don't need reading glasses unless very tiny print like on the side of a medicine bottle.

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » July 31, 2017, 6:32 am

Typo above. Crystal Lens not Crustal Lens. The implants help my eyes but not my dysletic fingers :-)

karonsteve
udonmap.com

Post by karonsteve » July 31, 2017, 10:03 am

Posted by Jetdoc on the other channel.

Dr. Paitoon Pratipanawat MD
Dept of Ophthalmology
Faculty of Medicine
Khon Kaen University
Mobile +66818766158
E-mail : [email protected]

The results were exultant, surgery performed at Khonkaen Ram Hospital, 75500bt all in, about 4 years ago.

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » July 31, 2017, 10:24 am

Adding to my list of contacts. Thanks guys. @karonsteve, that price is about 23,000 USD at today's exchange rate. Pardon me for asking but was his surgery complicated?

rjj04
udonmap.com

Post by rjj04 » July 31, 2017, 10:37 am

75,500 not 755,000

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » July 31, 2017, 11:06 am

OK, I thought typo, is that per eye? If total pretty good price, although price is not always the determinging factor.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 31, 2017, 11:37 am

Just be aware after surgery on your eye/s they may advise not to fly for a few days , due to pressure changes during flight etc

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » July 31, 2017, 12:00 pm

That would mean I would have to stay in BKK or Sin City without the wife for a few days, damn that will be expensive...lol.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » July 31, 2017, 12:24 pm

I was told by my doctor at Rutnin Hospital that they will not do both eyes at once. No overnight stay required and you can fly the next day. Recovery takes a few days. I had my surgery in the morning and flew back to Udon the next morning.

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » July 31, 2017, 1:03 pm

None that I know of will do both at once. Nor would I let them. That is the one problem with BKK, several flights and believe me that means tickets for 2 because the wife will not let me go alone, "Thais stay with family, have to do!" She's in Chaing Mai right now with her older brother deciding on serious eye surgery there or Khon Kaen, where she wants because there is nobody to stay with brother in CM. I gave up on that argument long ago.

broon97
udonmap.com

Post by broon97 » July 31, 2017, 1:22 pm

Bangkok Hospital Pattaya, Dr Somchai did both eyes same day, about 40 mins per procedure.
Overnight stay and then next day ok to travel.
Cataract removal, supersight lenses about Bt 200,000 paid by insurance

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » July 31, 2017, 2:28 pm

My wife came with me for both surgeries because she knew I would need help with eye care after the surgery. Flights on Nok Air are cheap and it's easy to find an inexpensive hotel for the night around Asoke. Good luck to you whatever you choose to do. BTW are you retired from the US military or have some other health insurance? I ask because my military health insurance (Tricare) covered 75% of the cost for pre-surgery medical evaluations, the surgery as well as post surgery followup medical care.

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » July 31, 2017, 2:48 pm

No, I didn't retire, Uncle Sam's Misguided Children and I parted ways after VN. But, I'm still at the B-day Ball in Vientiane every year. I have no health insurance here, in the states yes, but of course it would cost the hospitals, doctors, insurance (death panels) CEO's money if we could use here for half the cost of the states. I am 70% disabled but VA won't cover this. Just the money from pensions and disability saved up. I'll add I hate hospitals and people fussing around me. But hey, the eye candy is good here and no "Nurse Cratchit".

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » July 31, 2017, 3:13 pm

I stuck it out for 20 years after my participation in the "SEA war games" and glad I did. My wife (Thai-American) and I would have never retired here without health insurance even though the cost of medical care is cheaper here than in the US. Agree the eye candy in the only hospital (Vejthani Bangkok) I've had to stay overnight in was superb and they even speak English!!

Return to “Health & Beauty”