Cataract surgery

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
broon97
udonmap.com

Re: Cataract surgery

Post by broon97 » July 31, 2017, 8:42 pm

In Bangkok Hospital Pattaya, Dr Somchai did both eyes on the same op, 40 minutes each eye. No stitches or uncomfortable sensation. No pain. Overnight stay to check next day then free to travel, watch TV, use computer etc.
Best thing I ever did Supersight Surgery.

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » August 1, 2017, 10:23 am

Thanks, I've sent email, to all waiting for replies. Both eyes at once, I don't believe I'd take that chance.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » August 1, 2017, 12:57 pm

I'm not sure how anyone could get around for the first day doing both eyes at once. You have to wear a patch on the eye with the new lens for at least a day and apply antibiotic cream to prevent any infection. The operated eye is anesthetized with 2 injections in 2 different locations around the eye to keep it immobile during the operation. I had to wait in the recovery room until the anesthetic wore off before they would release me.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » August 1, 2017, 2:05 pm

Thanks fdimike for that heads up. BTW, the keeping the eye immobile is the biggest problem with me, uncontrolled movement anytime something is close to eyes, or bright light. BTW, that B-day Ball in Vientiane is open to all.

karonsteve
udonmap.com

Post by karonsteve » August 2, 2017, 12:14 pm

Jetdoc.
"The operated eye is anesthetized with 2 injections in 2 different locations around the eye to keep it immobile during the operation."

Quote cataract thread. In my case NO injections, only an hours worth of eye drops prior to the surgery to deaden area around eye. Patch over eye and released, next day patch removed and follow up was two different eye drops every 4 hours a day for several weeks.

broon97
udonmap.com

Post by broon97 » August 2, 2017, 12:34 pm

Agree with previous comment.
In my case drops prior to operation, both eyes, no patches just dark glasses for 2 days and drops for about 2 weeks.
No stitches, no pain.
Now after nearly 2 years vision is perfect, no glasses and 20/0 vision.
You can check out Supersight on google

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » August 2, 2017, 1:27 pm

I don't care how they do it as long as the eye remains immobile. It moves, and the results are catastrophic, for me. Good to have all this prior info. because I really didn't know what I was looking at.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » August 2, 2017, 4:36 pm

I've never heard of using eye drops to immobilize the eye. The eye needs to be absolutely immobile. As I said my doctor gave me 2 easy injections around the eye to anesthetize the eye muscles so there would be no eye movement during surgery. I as also administers eye drops before the surgery to numb the surface of the eye. There was absolutely no sensation during the surgery other than light and the noise of the instrument used to shatter the old lens and vacuum out the remains. I was able to see very clearly right after the operation. They placed a plastic eye patch over my eye to protect it until the eye healed. I was also given antibiotic gel to apply to the eye to prevent infection. I absolutely impressed with the sterility of the OR, the high state of their equipment and superb ability of all personnel concerned. I could easily see (no pun intended) why Rutnin is the premier eye hospital in Thailand.

sgt
udonmap.com

Post by sgt » August 3, 2017, 4:43 pm

Sorry for slowness, been out of town. Light is a problem and causes uncontrolled movement in my eyes, especially if bright. That and my eyes wouldn't dilate was what sopped Dr. Usa from doing the surgery here. The reaction to light was so bad I finally told her I think you are going to have to put me out. Believe that isn't done for this. It wasn't just the eyes, the body. Ah 500 mg of Thorazine...lol. I'm scheduling an appointment for exam next week and they are the only hospital to reply. Hoping to get exam fairly early and fly back later. No desire to spend the night in BKK. I'll have to bespending too much time and $ in the coming months for another VA exam and hopefully eye operations.

Thanks again for all the info.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » August 3, 2017, 5:27 pm

Good luck to you sir.

karonsteve
udonmap.com

Post by karonsteve » August 4, 2017, 1:39 pm

Jetdoc.

I absolutely impressed with the sterility of the OR, the high state of their equipment and superb ability of all personnel concerned. I could easily see (no pun intended) why Rutnin is the premier eye hospital in Thailand."

Quote from dark side. My Khon Kaen experience similar. Because of the problems I was having doctor at AKE recommended BKK also, didn't want the hassle, and KK experience very positive - happy camper here ;o)

Return to “Health & Beauty”