Prostate Cancer

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Prostate Cancer

Post by wokkawombat » May 23, 2007, 2:53 pm

PROSTATE EXAMINATION ACT NOW !

Dear All,

Every male from each of the three services who was ever in the Vietnam War Zone and is over the age of fifty and that is all of us should have a PSA level done as well as a physical examination every three years as a minimum. You will all have a degree of Prostate pathology benign or malignant so just accept it. What you need to know is will it carry me off?

The answer is NO if detected and treated. The only way to detect it is to have the blood test and have the physical examination. Do not wait until you think you have some related symptoms, because if it is malignant and you have symptoms you are dead meat. I had cancer of the prostate with no symptoms and a normal blood test but an abnormal examination. At surgery the malignancy was on the point of spreading outside the prostate, so I was most fortunate. Only because I had both tests at age sixty will I now to be around for the long haul. Just do it.........all of you, no buts!!

Regards,

Rod Bain.

Dr Roderick Bain MBBS FRCA FANZCA
Chairman RSL National Advisory Committee on Veterans' Health
Tel 02-43237998
Mob. 0417604450

P.S. DVA has a brilliant small book on the subject; read it and you

Gurgle, Gurgle...

uncle tom
udonmap.com

Post by uncle tom » May 24, 2007, 6:02 am

My story is similar to Dr Bain's. No symptoms, a normal PSA blood test but the physical exam showed a slight enlargement of the prostate. In short I had a vicious cancer, but still confined to the prostate.

The prostate was removed and for 13 years now there is no evidence of cancer in my system. I do have an annual PSA done.

I believe in the states they recommend an annual exam for those over 50. Its easy enough to check with your doctor or do a search on the net, Plenty of excellent sites for good info.

AS the good Doctor said.
Just do it.........all of you, no buts!!

fremmel
udonmap.com

Post by fremmel » May 24, 2007, 10:53 am

My story's the other way around. Normal physical exam but a slightly elevated PSA (5 to 6) and a free PSA below 20%. The doctor strongly recommended a biopsy. That showed I had early cancer on both sides but it was still inside the prostate. I had one of the newer radiation methods last year that was completely painless and I haven't had any side effects from it. Everything still works like before. My last PSA was 0.2.

It's really, really important to catch it early while they can fix it without breaking anything else. I had a friend who didn't and he was gone within a year of when they did find it.

It's very curable early on so don't put off checking.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » May 24, 2007, 11:11 am

fremmel wrote: I had one of the newer radiation methods last year that was completely painless and I haven't had any side effects from it. Everything still works like before. My last PSA was 0.2.
I read somewhere about the new laser procedure.I understand it is very expensive though!Did you have it done in Thailand?

fremmel
udonmap.com

Post by fremmel » May 24, 2007, 12:19 pm

That may be how they described the procedure I had but the radiation itself was from Xrays. The system is called IGRT for Image Guided Radiation Therapy. The setup is fairly involved with CT scans and stuff but the treatments were simple I just had to lie real still for 15 minutes. The lasers were used to position my body very precisely so that they could target the prostate within 2 mm. That was why they could minimize any side effects. The older types aren't as precise so they tend to damage some of the other sensitive tissue around the prostate. When I had this done last summer they didn't have the equipment in Thailand but I have heard since that Bumrungrad now has it. But I can't swear to that. I had it done in Singapore. It was under $20,000 US. So it's more expensive than some of the other therapies but less than things like proton radiation and robotic surgery and the results are very good. Fortunately my insurance covered it.

If there's any interest I'll be glad to give more details of the procedure, where I had it done, etc., either with a posting or with a PM.

pompui
udonmap.com

Re: Prostate Cancer

Post by pompui » June 20, 2009, 4:15 pm

Benefits of green tea

http://www.news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8108831.stm

I always thought if you had a chuckwah? (thai) or ham shank (cockney) daily it would also help keep prostate cancer at bay or have I been told a load of horlicks :-k

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » June 20, 2009, 5:39 pm

I spotted this on the Daily Telegraph's website:

Drug 'could offer hope to prostate cancer sufferers'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/men_s ... erers.html
Drug 'could offer hope to prostate cancer sufferers'

An experimental drug which can shrink prostate cancer tumours could offer hope to patients whose condition has previously had no cure, a small study suggests.

By Kate Devlin, Medical Correspondent
Published: 9:00PM BST 19 Jun 2009

Two patients recovered after being treated with the new medication, known as MDX-010 or 'ipilimumab', which has been hailed as a "holy grail" in treatment.

Previously, their tumours were considered so large as to be inoperable for which the only option is to offer hormone treatment which has a limited effect.

In both cases, the men's cancer had spread well beyond the prostate into the abdomen.

However, doctors found that by treating the men with the new drug, on top of conventional hormone and radiation therapy, they could shrink the tumours enough that they could be removed through surgery.

One of the patients is still free from the disease 19 months after treatment. The other has required some further treatment.

Patients were initially given a type of hormone treatment, which removes testosterone and usually causes a slight reduction in the size of the tumours.

The men were then given a single dose of ipilimumab, which trigger a much greater immune response in the body, killing off many more of the cancer cells.

Then they were treated with surgery to remove the tumours and doctors say that both have since been able to go back to their normal lives.

About 35,000 men are diagnosed with the disease in Britain every year and about 10,000 die from the disease.

Dr Eugene Kwon, a urologist at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota, who led the research, said: "This is one of the holy grails of prostate cancer research.

"We've been looking for this for years.

"These people didn't have a lot of other options. However, we were startled to see responses that far exceeded any of our expectations."

Dr Michael Blute, who treated both men, said: "The tumours had shrunk dramatically.

"At one point the pathologist (who was working during surgery) asked if we were sending him samples from the same patient."

The doctors now plan to carry out further research into the drug to assess how it can best be used to fight prostate cancer.

Earlier this week campaigners warned that a "postcode lottery" in care meant that patients in some parts of the country were five times more likely to die from the disease than in others.

Ministers are currently considering whether to introduce a nationwide screening programme for prostate cancer, after the largest study of its kind suggested that it could save lives.

However, experts warn that the risks associated with surgery to remove some slow growing tumours, which can include incontinence, outweigh the risks posed by the disease for many men.

The latest findings were presented at the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) conference earlier this month

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » June 20, 2009, 5:47 pm

thank you for the post the more we know the better off we are in fighting these disease's and less of a chance of developing them were it becomes life threatening John (OP) and Arjay a special thank you from me

Wisdom
udonmap.com

Post by Wisdom » June 20, 2009, 6:00 pm

I get up several times in night to the toilet, but had full screening for prostrate problems, but found to be okay. Now have yearly PSA test, and monitor any changes i have to day/night, toilet habits! :-$ Like aznyron, pleased arjay posted latest on treatment research, and think as a man gets older, they should always have an eye out for possible prostrate problems. :roll:

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » June 20, 2009, 6:14 pm

Just remember it was the obscene profits that these drug companies are making that allow them to develop these drugs to cure whatever. Well, when we start regulating drug costs that will put a stop to all this frivolous research, which only serves to line th pockets of the big drug companies.

See how silly that sounds? Remember that the next time you hear arguments bashing the drug companies obscene profits which fund this type of research.

On a lighter note, every time I read an article about prostate cancer, i start imagining that I am having trouble peeing, one of the signs of prostate problems. So naturally I consume a bunch of beer, then I am reassured that there's no problem. I think these articles are sponsored by the beer companies.

keith555
udonmap.com

Post by keith555 » June 20, 2009, 6:25 pm

8-[ Im sorry i dont understand this post ,What is the Vietnam War..Drugs..What you talk about.....

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » June 20, 2009, 6:43 pm

As I understand it, frequency of pee'ing,- which I suspect many of us suffer from, - isn't in itself a sign of Prostate cancer, it's simply a sign of an enlarged prostate, - unfortunately a sign of advancing years/old age. :oops:

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » June 20, 2009, 6:55 pm

arjay wrote:As I understand it, frequency of pee'ing,- which I suspect many of us suffer from, - isn't in itself a sign of Prostate cancer, it's simply a sign of an enlarged prostate, - unfortunately a sign of advancing years/old age. :oops:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
also sugar you could have sign of early diabetes which is what I have frequent runs to the toilet at night when your in bed get a blood test go early in the morning do not eat any thing before you go that includes drink as well do not eat any thing after midnight this way you get a honest results

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » June 20, 2009, 7:09 pm

Ron,did you ever come across the peeball invention,it swept through UK a few years back.

http://www.peeball.com/press/press_01.asp

Not sure if my previous link was any good,should have quoted it as http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8108831.stm 8)

LoongLee
udonmap.com

Post by LoongLee » June 20, 2009, 7:31 pm

Keith555,,, I think the OP (Dr Bain) wrote/ made those references because of his position (Chairman RSL National Advisory Committee on Veterans' Health) so that would be the main thrust of his interest. Not sure about the VietNam reference unless that is the age group he wants to address. Maybe they (VietNam veterans) are the most reluctant to get tested ??

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » June 20, 2009, 7:37 pm

To be honest, I've always suffered from frequent p'ing, it's just that it's got worse as I've got older. Coming to LOS initially gave me some respite, as because of the much higher temperatures and humidity, the body diverts more water to sweat. But it's slowly been catching up with me, though I can usually get through the night Ok.

Drinking beer and more so coffee exacerbate it more. If I've had a couple of beers then once I start, - it's about every 20 -30 minutes!!

I recently had a medical check up, and was told my blood sugar level was getting a bit high, one point above the trigger point, as I recollect. So have been trying to reduce my intake of sweet things, which included iced tea and beer, which wasn't high anyway. I thought taking Sangsom with soda water, instead of coke might be an idea!! ;) :lol:

aznyron
udonmap.com

Post by aznyron » June 20, 2009, 7:45 pm

pompui wrote:Ron,did you ever come across the peeball invention,it swept through UK a few years back.

http://www.peeball.com/press/press_01.asp

Not sure if my previous link was any good,should have quoted it as http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8108831.stm 8)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been drinking green tea for about 10 years now I drank more of it in the states mainly it was easier to make than coffee I was alone LOL no one to make for me. I knew green tea had many good benefits of drinking it
but it did raise my sugar level since I was drinking about 5 to 8 cups a day and putting sugar in all of them which is a NO NO as for you game it funny LOL

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » June 20, 2009, 8:41 pm

All my adult life I have had a problem with this peeing stuff.I think in my case,in the mind.Its a fact when you get old, your bladder shrinks.Therefore, you will need to empty out more frequently.
I am up in the night 2, 3,or 4 times in the night.Yet day time, twice.Don't matter how much I drink its regular.
If I happen to go to a nightclub or somewhere, I will visit the cubical everytime.Otherwise....nothing!
Even if Im bursting.....nothing.But This has been with me years and years.
I have been for a " examination" which I just was so embarrassed. That I will never do again. I die first.......Maybe will!
Is a blood test enough? or do they do the finger treatment too?

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » June 20, 2009, 9:25 pm

arjay wrote:To be honest, I've always suffered from frequent p'ing, it's just that it's got worse as I've got older. Coming to LOS initially gave me some respite, as because of the much higher temperatures and humidity, the body diverts more water to sweat. But it's slowly been catching up with me, though I can usually get through the night Ok.

Drinking beer and more so coffee exacerbate it more. If I've had a couple of beers then once I start, - it's about every 20 -30 minutes!!

I recently had a medical check up, and was told my blood sugar level was getting a bit high, one point above the trigger point, as I recollect. So have been trying to reduce my intake of sweet things, which included iced tea and beer, which wasn't high anyway. I thought taking Sangsom with soda water, instead of coke might be an idea!! ;) :lol:
And leave The Apple Pie,at BBB'S Alone..... :yikes: :yikes:

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » June 20, 2009, 9:54 pm

mortiboy wrote:" Is a blood test enough? or do they do the finger treatment too?
Yes Morti they still have to do a digital rectal exam. It's not so bad, unless you're like an unlucky friend of mine. He had just come back from having a prostate exam and his girl asked him what it was like. So he explained very carefully "Well, I dropped my drawers and bent over, then the Doc put one hand on my shoulder and then......Wait a minute!! THAT SONUVABITCH HAD BOTH HANDS ON MY SHOULDERS!!!!" :shock:

So when you go, just make sure both his hands aren't on your shoulders.

:D :D :D

Return to “Health & Beauty”