Do you have a Health Insurance?

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Re: Do you have a Health Insurance?

Post by stattointhailand » February 27, 2023, 6:58 pm

Its all very well having health insurance, its a different matter when it comes to claiming on that Insurance.
I'm still B38000 down because one of the biggest well known Thai Insurance co refused to pay out because ............. my wifes insurance was in her maiden name (we married the previous month and had not updated the records even though I got a copy of her medical records from hospital showing change of name). They also insured me for 6 months before returning the money and stating that I had to be resident in Thailand for 12 months before I could be insured (no extra returned for the lost interest on the money, just the amount I paid) Why did it take them 6 months to realise they couldnt insure me, they knew my status when they took the money along with copies of passport/visas etc. Things may have changed in the last 20 yrs, but I still wouldn't trust a Thai Insurance co any further than I could throw it

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » February 27, 2023, 7:25 pm

Sorry to hear of your bad experience. My wife and I are covered by Tricare medical insurance which is a benefit of my 20 years of US military service. It's not perfect but we would never have moved here without it.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 27, 2023, 8:10 pm

Touch wood I have been fairly lucky and only needed 1 hospital stay in the last 20 yrs, that cost 100000, so i'm actually about B700,000 up at the moment on saved premiums. My biggest problem has always been the fact that I had hereditary renal pre conditions from a young age, and whilst they are not usually a problem, just about anything that can go wrong COULD if you looked hard enough be attributed in some way to the kidneys/Liver.
I did check with an Insurance broker in BKK many years ago, and she said their company stopped dealing with Thai Insurers as they had been too problematic.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » February 28, 2023, 2:01 am

fdimike wrote:
February 27, 2023, 7:25 pm
Sorry to hear of your bad experience. My wife and I are covered by Tricare medical insurance which is a benefit of my 20 years of US military service. It's not perfect but we would never have moved here without it.
FDmike, Have you tried using Tricare at one of the hospitals or paid out of pocket then been reimbursed? I've been told they do not accept as not true insurance, but reimbursement after the fact.

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » February 28, 2023, 7:54 am

I've always paid out of pocket and then filed for reimbursement. It's not difficult or time consuming as I file online. Tricare Overseas is based in Singapore and they use Direct Deposit to pay so relatively quick. They don't know what they're talking about when they say not true insurance. I've noticed that Bangkok Hospital in Pattaya is accepting Tricare. I was told some time ago that Bangkok Hospital here in Udon would accept Tricare for inpatient care but I have not confirmed that recently. You can contact the International Office (behind the front desk) on the first floor of Bangkok Hospital and speak to one of their English speaking assistants.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » February 28, 2023, 9:46 am

My Medicare Supplement plan is from Massachusetts Blue Cross Blue Shield, of which Bumrungrad is a participating member hospital. (I'd love to know how that came about!) They pay Bumrungrad directly if it's an inpatient stay over a certain number of days, IIRC, otherwise I pay and BCBS reimburses me.

For non-Bumrungrad medical expenses, BCBS reimburses me at 100% if the expense would have been covered by Medicare in the U.S.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » February 28, 2023, 10:17 am

I have had a quote from LMG Insurance that looks good because of low premiums if I accept a 100.000 baht excess. Has anybody on the forum had any experience with this company?
Last edited by Whistler on February 28, 2023, 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » February 28, 2023, 3:18 pm

asked Bangkok Hospital Udon last year in their Insurance office behind the front desk. No, they do not accept Tricare. Cash up front then file for reimbursement. As for other hospitals in Thailand perhaps "accepting" Tricare" according to the JUSMAG RAO site here: http://jusmagthai.com/rao.html Tricare does not reimburse hospitals Now, I'll bet the hospital understands Tricare and will file your claim for you with all appropriate paperwork so won't get cash up front....

Tricare used to reimburse hospitals over here but stopped since hospitals were overcharging beyond their publsihed fees...
Dave

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » February 28, 2023, 7:46 pm

I do not have it. Apart for one event when I quickly returned to UK, in 12 years my total Health bill has been about 60,000 baht, mainly dental. As the lowest quote i got here was about 8,000 baht a month 10 years ago, must be over 1 million baht up so far. Now, at 70 with existing health issues, doubt i could afford it even if i could find an insurer. Have one friend here who had BUPA for about 10 years, which did pay up for a couple of claims. But he had to drop it when he got to 75 because the premiums became unaffordable. I have been able to save up a small nest egg (my extension deposit) which will have to do - pensions barely keep up with the cost of living here.

Bubbler
udonmap.com

Post by Bubbler » September 20, 2023, 8:39 pm

A couple of years back, I was slapped with some unexpected medical bills, and since then, I've always made sure to stay covered.

Currently, my wife and I are insured by covering florida in the US. For 500 bucks a month, they've got us both covered + they add some covering privileges for when we are in Thailand. (owning a business here).

I'd say, no matter where you are or what you're doing, always prioritize your health and have some sort of coverage.

Return to “Health & Beauty”