Thailand Cheapist for Medicines

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
jackspratt
udonmap.com

Thailand Cheapist for Medicines

Post by jackspratt » November 25, 2019, 11:27 am

A recent drug price index compared the cost of 13 common medications across 50 countries ........

...... The price index, conducted by healthcare company Medbelle, found drugs were cheapest in Thailand, Kenya and Malaysia, while the US topped the list for having the most expensive pharmaceuticals.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2019 ... s/11728422
Australia was also among the cheapest of OECD countries - with no surprise which was far and away the most expensive.

https://www.medbelle.com/medicine-price-index-usa

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Re: Thailand Cheapist for Medicines

Post by Kenr6583 » November 25, 2019, 11:51 am

Yep. I guess the USA is the richest country in the world for a reason. And people wonder why our healthcare system sucks here and is so expensive, GREED!!!

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » November 25, 2019, 1:57 pm

I was looking at that article earlier, their Methodology does not make it clear whether the price structure was based on subsidies eg our Australian Medicare (PBS) rebate. The list price for a drug I use is AUD $1146.55 for a six month supply - after the rebate I actually pay $235.80. This is clearly marked on the product! Then there is a cutoff where nothing is paid by the patient after a monthly, out of pocket, threshold has been reached on their combined drug purchases.

EDIT: Would be interested to hear if any members are using a similar drug as the one attached and if they are buying it in a local Pharmacy - with or without prescription?
Attachments
Medication Price.jpg
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » November 26, 2019, 12:48 am

When Thailand gave the go ahead for dual pricing at hospitals for medications ,(dual being an understatement ,as from the post i saw there are about 5 bands depending on , tourist , long term expat ,neighbouring countries etc )
I was expecting my meds bill increasing at Q S heart centre of the north east , usually in the region of 20,000 bht ,got the bill , 11,500 bht ,nice surprise , ta very much ,

Return to “Health & Beauty”