Balancing exercise with inactivity

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
tamada
udonmap.com

Balancing exercise with inactivity

Post by tamada » November 28, 2020, 8:28 am

I came across this article that tries to quantify what amount of physical exercise is needed to compensate for a mostly sedentary daily lifestyle. Although the data gathered from the digital fitness tracking devices of the volunteers hasn't been filtered or adjusted for the all-essential age demographic, it appears that 40 minutes a day doing reasonably energetic things is a good rule of thumb. Mind you, I am not sure how gardening gets into the same "reasonably intensive" classification as cycling and "brisk walking." A push-mower is an obvious winner but you don't mow the lawn every day. I don't even have a lawn!

The WHO publication on exercise that is cited in the article is a lengthy tome that does address age, pregnancy and the like. For the over-65's, it appears to suggest 3 days per week rather than a daily regimen. That reduction appears to be predicated on the higher risks of injury from slips and falls, osteoporosis and the like.

https://www.sciencealert.com/getting-a- ... tting-down

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: Balancing exercise with inactivity

Post by Khun Paul » November 28, 2020, 9:42 am

tamada wrote:
November 28, 2020, 8:28 am
I came across this article that tries to quantify what amount of physical exercise is needed to compensate for a mostly sedentary daily lifestyle. Although the data gathered from the digital fitness tracking devices of the volunteers hasn't been filtered or adjusted for the all-essential age demographic, it appears that 40 minutes a day doing reasonably energetic things is a good rule of thumb. Mind you, I am not sure how gardening gets into the same "reasonably intensive" classification as cycling and "brisk walking." A push-mower is an obvious winner but you don't mow the lawn every day. I don't even have a lawn!

The WHO publication on exercise that is cited in the article is a lengthy tome that does address age, pregnancy and the like. For the over-65's, it appears to suggest 3 days per week rather than a daily regimen. That reduction appears to be predicated on the higher risks of injury from slips and falls, osteoporosis and the like.

https://www.sciencealert.com/getting-a- ... tting-down

Quoting your post :

For some on here who spend most time sat down trawling the internet, I would say One day could be too much , with aid provided for short walks to the toilet on a regular basis .....lol

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » December 12, 2020, 8:45 pm

I’ve put on a kilo in the last week 🤭
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 13, 2020, 12:46 am

Niggly wrote:
December 12, 2020, 8:45 pm
Fook only a kilo.. im shocked Shrek
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » December 13, 2020, 6:47 am

Drunk Monkey wrote:
December 13, 2020, 12:46 am
Niggly wrote:
December 12, 2020, 8:45 pm
Fook only a kilo.. im shocked Shrek
Must have a high metabolism chunk. How’s the flavoured water diet going?

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » December 13, 2020, 7:41 am

Diet was going great ... until i went to PFs to pick up mi pickled heggs, the potato salad and a pack of mince pies i bought for a friend went missing .. im loving the vitamin water very clever marketing and only 11 bt a bottle .

Dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » December 13, 2020, 7:58 am

Yorkshire puddings are only about 200 calories but a maximum of 10 a day

Return to “Health & Beauty”