Sinovac + Astrazeneca

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
malc123
udonmap.com

Sinovac + Astrazeneca

Post by malc123 » July 19, 2021, 12:00 pm

Today I received an email from Wattana Hospital, said that if I wanted to have the vaccine with the first one being Sinovac on this Wednesday 21st I can go at 0900.

If I cancel the appointment I will have to re-apply. If I had already had the Astraznece I would receive a second one.

Any thoughts?

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Sinovac + Astrazeneca

Post by tamada » July 19, 2021, 12:06 pm

Get it while you can.

Above advice offered without any idea of your age or if there are any pre-existing medical conditions or otherwise immunocompromized.

malc123
udonmap.com

Post by malc123 » July 19, 2021, 12:12 pm

[quote=tamada post_id=621098 time=1626671215 user_id=3915]
Get it while you can.

Above advice offered without any idea of your age or if there are any pre-existing medical conditions or otherwise immunocompromized.
[/quote]

I am 74, have a pre-existing heart condition, had nine stends, last one two years ago in the UK.

Just now have been feeling good. My immune system is good.

BKK-Udon
udonmap.com

Post by BKK-Udon » July 19, 2021, 12:24 pm

malc123 wrote:
July 19, 2021, 12:00 pm
Today I received an email from Wattana Hospital, said that if I wanted to have the vaccine with the first one being Sinovac on this Wednesday 21st I can go at 0900.

If I cancel the appointment I will have to re-apply. If I had already had the Astraznece I would receive a second one.

Any thoughts?
Not medical advice. My thinking is “A bird in the hand...”
In my case over 60 and breathing is not my strong suite. Even if Sinovac creates less antigens against covid than other brands, at least I have some protection. Particularly against serious illness and hospitalization.

I was told if I wanted AZ as a first shot, it might be 2-5 months. AZ as a 2nd shot on August 6th. My ideal plan is to then eventually get an mRNA vaccine in 6-8months or so, hopefully a version 2!

Good luck! Btw, I had a few hours of feeling a cold coming on the morning after. Very minor and gone quickly. They say drink lots of water after the shot.

retired
udonmap.com

Post by retired » July 19, 2021, 2:26 pm

I was offered the same but am inclined to refuse and await the Moderna. WHO says it is risky at best to mix the vaccines and the hospital state its Government Policy, and Thai medical opinion is mixed to say the least, they probably have too much Sinovac in stock as no one wants it and 2/3rd of the produced Astrazeneca is being shipped out of the country :(

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » July 20, 2021, 6:17 am

I am not a doctor and so cannot give you medical advice, but I know apparently the Sinovac vaccine is only 55% effective, where as other types are more effective..Pfzier is 95%.. in the end it is up to the individual whether to have a jab or not, but I made an effort to seek out the Pfzier over and above the Astrazenica, or moderna jab....of course Thailand might not be offering a pot pourri of jabs in which to pick from..

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » July 20, 2021, 6:54 am

From a purely personal point of view, anyone who has underlying health issues exacerbated by the Covid Virus should acquire any vaccination jab to enhance their protection.
The whys and wherefores of one particular jab over another is really immaterial if one has a health risk potential .

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » July 24, 2021, 10:33 am

Khun Paul wrote:
July 20, 2021, 6:54 am
From a purely personal point of view, anyone who has underlying health issues exacerbated by the Covid Virus should acquire any vaccination jab to enhance their protection.
The whys and wherefores of one particular jab over another is really immaterial if one has a health risk potential .
It is not as straightforward as you suggest.

The supplies of vaccines in Thailand are limited.

Given that and that there seems to be evidence that Sinovac is far less protective, getting a dose (free or paid) of a different vaccine will be significantly delayed and that getting 2 more doses if a more protective vaccine will be extremely difficult after getting a initial Sinovac.

With all of that the correct choice is not at all obvious

In my case SWMBO and I have had the opportunity to get 1 of the very limited number of Sinovac vaccines that were available to our village, we chose to let the large percentage of diabetics go first. If I get a second offer the choice will be more difficult.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 24, 2021, 11:07 am

maaka wrote:
July 20, 2021, 6:17 am
I am not a doctor and so cannot give you medical advice, but I know apparently the Sinovac vaccine is only 55% effective, where as other types are more effective..Pfzier is 95%.. in the end it is up to the individual whether to have a jab or not, but I made an effort to seek out the Pfzier over and above the Astrazenica, or moderna jab....of course Thailand might not be offering a pot pourri of jabs in which to pick from..
One has to read into these statistics a bit more. The headline on an article may say "only 55% effective" but that may apply to a certain age group or people with certain pre-existing conditions or recipients in a certain country. The efficacy of any Chinese vaccine is always going to be clouded by the fact that the manufacturers haven't shared any data from their own testing. The figures that are being quoted tend to be from a comparatively small sample of those vaccinated outside China whereas the western-developed vaccines have their multiple tiers of controlled and monitored testing PLUS the data from their global vaccination rollout.

As an unvaccinated 65 year old traveling internationally, I am still in the 'Whatever I can get first' camp.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » July 24, 2021, 11:59 am

hard to get your head around the Chinese have given out 1.4 billion doses of their vaccine , they're averaging 40 cases of covid a day and no one has died from covid for months. that doesn't tally with the 55% efficiency in reality. if it was that low china would have 10,000s of daily infections with hundreds of deaths.
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Mjkt
udonmap.com

Post by Mjkt » July 24, 2021, 1:04 pm

tamada wrote:
July 24, 2021, 11:07 am
As an unvaccinated 65 year old traveling internationally, I am still in the 'Whatever I can get first' camp.
Malaysia has a much higher % vaccination rate than Thailand.
Cannot you get anything until now?

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 24, 2021, 1:27 pm

Malaysia's vaccination rollout has taken off in the past month. Previously it was on par with Thailand's at less than 10% first shot. I registered about 3 weeks ago for a shot via their app which will notify me of an appointment. I am offshore so will decline any appointment for now. The Malaysian guy I am working with registered ages ago and got his first appointment in June but he was already in quarantine for this work assignment so had to decline. The app allows you to cancel an appointment without having to re-register. You just go to the end of the queue.

Return to “Health & Beauty”