Do you agree on dual pricing?

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
Giggle
udonmap.com

Re: Do you agree on dual pricing?

Post by Giggle » September 30, 2021, 8:47 pm

The incorrect proposition that forms the basis of this false premise is that foreigners are wealthy. Many are not. And to monetarily penalize those who are not, based on a minority who are, is discriminatory and racist. But again, this does not register with most Asians. They simply don't view being called a racist as an insult. Foreigners are simply outsiders, and those who stay deserve a regular milking. If they don't like it, they can leave. Unadulterated racism -- prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized..

Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 30, 2021, 8:47 pm

Declan MacPherson wrote:
September 30, 2021, 8:28 pm

You seem to have overlooked exactly what I said.
No, I really didn't.

"anything" is discretionary spending.

Taxes are not (except for the wealthy), and need to be paid according to the laws of the land (except for the wealthy).

I am not aware of any laws (tax or otherwise) in Thailand which prescribe dual pricing.

But at the end of the day, I guess it comes back to whether you believe we should live in a society, or an economy.

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » September 30, 2021, 8:51 pm

jackspratt wrote:
September 30, 2021, 8:47 pm
Declan MacPherson wrote:
September 30, 2021, 8:28 pm

You seem to have overlooked exactly what I said.
No, I really didn't.

"anything" is discretionary spending.

Taxes are not (except for the wealthy), and need to be paid according to the laws of the land (except for the wealthy).

I am not aware of any laws (tax or otherwise) in Thailand which prescribe dual pricing.

But at the end of the day, I guess it comes back to whether you believe we should live in a society, or an economy.
None of that matters. I'm not talking about how taxes are levied or what laws exist in Thailand or anywhere else.

My statement was about PEOPLE and their BELIEFS. If people think it is okay to tax someone more because they have more money, they should be okay with people being CHARGED MORE FOR SERVICES just because they have more money.

And my statement has nothing do with living in a society or an economy. It has to do with people being consistent in their beliefs.
"Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." - Ephesians 6:11

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » September 30, 2021, 8:58 pm

So you are saying Hi So Thais should pay the top level medical charges then ? and backpacker visitors should pay less?

At least that would help the poor (Thai or other) get the medical services they deserve.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » September 30, 2021, 9:00 pm

Declan MacPherson wrote:
September 30, 2021, 8:51 pm

My statement was about PEOPLE and their BELIEFS. If people think it is okay to tax someone more because they have more money, they should be okay with people being CHARGED MORE FOR SERVICES just because they have more money.
It seems that you cannot make the distinction between mandated expenditure (ie legally imposed taxes) and discretionary expenditure ( eg entry into a national park).

Fair enough - I'm not sure this argument can be taken much further.

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » September 30, 2021, 9:03 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
September 30, 2021, 8:58 pm
So you are saying Hi So Thais should pay the top level medical charges then ? and backpacker visitors should pay less?

At least that would help the poor (Thai or other) get the medical services they deserve.
I am not agreeing or disagreeing with any policy requiring anyone to pay for anything. I never said a word either way about it.

My sole comment has to do with people being consistent in their beliefs. Anyone who thinks it's okay to eat the rich when it comes to taxes should be okay with it about everything.
"Put on the whole armor of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." - Ephesians 6:11

Declan MacPherson
udonmap.com

Post by Declan MacPherson » September 30, 2021, 9:04 pm

jackspratt wrote:
September 30, 2021, 9:00 pm
Declan MacPherson wrote:
September 30, 2021, 8:51 pm

It seems that you cannot make the distinction between mandated expenditure (ie legally imposed taxes) and discretionary expenditure ( eg entry into a national park).

Fair enough - I'm not sure this argument can be taken much further.
I make the distinction fine, but I'm not talking about that.

I'm talking about people and their personal beliefs when it comes to penalizing the wealthy for being wealthy.

ricks
udonmap.com

Post by ricks » September 30, 2021, 9:27 pm

If you go to Cuba you pay 10 times the amount Cubans pay. they give you dollar (us) =dollar (Cuban), but for the people there it's 10 to one.

jai yen yen
udonmap.com

Post by jai yen yen » September 30, 2021, 11:20 pm

Part of the reason people live and go to Thailand is that it is or was a good bang for your buck. Government hospitals are subsidized for the Thai government and that should be for Thais and citizens. Private hospitals should have one rate for everyone. Dual pricing in parks and attractions is just a cash grab and is wrong in my opinion. When I run into a situation where I am charged more because I am a Farang I just don't go.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 1, 2021, 8:16 am

most Thais get medical care at their hospitals as part of the government medical care system.. The old 20 baht scheme evolved into pretty much total care although there are costs charged. I've no issues for a public hospital having a set fee schedule for non-citizens...
Dave

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » October 1, 2021, 8:45 am

it does not matter you agree or not , it is there , always been and always will be there , private hospitals are also businesses to make money , same as shops there are different prices and it is up to you if you are willing to pay them , fe i know a falang who paid 340.000 baht for an operation in a big hospital, as to you can search online many places offer the same operation for 75.000 baht :shock: , always with everything you buy , be sure you know the right price , compare first (and not comparing with prices abroad ) ...if not you end up probably paying to much ....my answer to the op , no i do not agree on dual pricing , it is there , and up to you to find the best solution you will be happy with ....as info ;)

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 1, 2021, 9:50 am

Some years ago I had a car load of Thai people taking them to a national park. I was a a bad mood anyways listening to all the loud Thai chattering. At the gate the attendant asked a stupid price for the farang to get in the park. I refused to pay. The Thais were getting out of the car yelling at the gate attendant not to mention cars behind us honking their horns. The attendant was beyond rattled and finally waved us through.

Since the fees are normally reasonable and maybe double for farangs, I normally pay and don't complain. This time it was at least five times the Thai fee.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 1, 2021, 2:32 pm

Rolled up at floating market a number years ago with Thai wife & 4 farang friends in motor. Got told wife Thai ok but 5 x farang B200 each. Needless to say we went elsewhere instead, losing them not only the B1000 but probably another B10,000 + my friends would have spent on stuff to take home

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 1, 2021, 4:07 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
October 1, 2021, 2:32 pm
Rolled up at floating market a number years ago with Thai wife & 4 farang friends in motor. Got told wife Thai ok but 5 x farang B200 each. Needless to say we went elsewhere instead, losing them not only the B1000 but probably another B10,000 + my friends would have spent on stuff to take home
I find there's far less drama if one attends such venues by oneself. Even better with some farang mates who like myself, don't piss and moan about 'subsidizing' the local economy like the cheap charlies with their Thai partners and friends.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » October 1, 2021, 4:43 pm

We should never expect the unprincipled to understand the notion of a moral rule or standard of good behavior or fair dealing. It's simply beyond them.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictio ... /principle

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » October 1, 2021, 5:30 pm

I'm not at all troubled by the "double pricing scheme" as long as it's posted that way. We lived in Florida for many years and noted that Disney World and other such theme parks had lower pricing for Florida residents than non- Florida residents. There were also discounted pricing available for Senior Citizens and military personnel. I've been to many national historic sites here in Thailand which always have an admission price listed showing pricing for Thais and foreigners.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » October 1, 2021, 6:59 pm

Offering a discount to certain groups is a far cry from charging excess (over the normal rate) to others based largely on their appearance. Nice try.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » October 2, 2021, 4:16 am

I use Nong Han General Hospital for quarterly blood tests and BP meds. Have never had a bill more than 300baht and that includes 3 months of BP meds some sleeping tablets etc. Had spine X rays done at same hospital, 40 baht per X ray. One X ray at Bangkok Udon 400baht. If that is dual pricing, will take it any day.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » February 15, 2023, 2:45 pm

Just returned from a few days on Koh Yao Noi.

We visited a beachside Italian restaurant for a drink one lunchtime, paid and left. I mentioned to my g/f that her beer (small Chang) had been charged at THB 90. She disagreed saying she thought it was THB 60.

The food looked nice (it was pretty average actually) so we went back for dinner and I showed her that I was correct with the beer marked at 90 on the menu. She pointed to a separate page, where there was another small list in Thai with Chang marked at 60. When she queried with a waiter he said it was Thai price which she didn't qualify for as she was with a falang. Pretty sure the place is actually owned by a falang too.

Hilarious.

Boats there and back dual priced which was expected.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 15, 2023, 4:43 pm

Does the new B300 "arrival" tax count as duel pricing when accompanied by the B700 "departure" tax that still gets charged?

Return to “Health & Beauty”