Blood Pessure (Hypertension) Meds

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
jackspratt
udonmap.com

Blood Pessure (Hypertension) Meds

Post by jackspratt » April 26, 2023, 8:51 pm

After a couple of very high BP readings, and further investigation by my quack in Oz, I am currently on BP tablets.

I recently bought a bottle of 30 x 5mg Coversyl Arginine for THB525 from a pharmacy in Ban Dung. The online Bangkok pharmacy often recommended on here quoted slightly lower, but not including shipping costs.

Does anyone have experience with lower cost BP meds, including generics?

caducus
udonmap.com

Re: Blood Pessure (Hypertension) Meds

Post by caducus » April 26, 2023, 9:16 pm

I have been taking 'Enapril' tablets for a few years. I am not sure how much they cost as, in the past, I would buy a number of different tablets on each occasion.

In my opinion, the cheapest pharmacy is on the left as one travels north into town, just past the hospital. On weekdays it does not open until about 4 pm, as the pharmacist works in the hospital before doing a stint at her own business.

I am now registered at the Crown Prince Hospital and get all my medication there. This is much cheaper.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 26, 2023, 9:49 pm

Two places to try are one the Pharmacy on the road by Global on the same side just before it

OR
Forte locate out by the Airport To be found on Google Maps

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » April 26, 2023, 11:15 pm

Pratty my Boy
I go to my local General (Government) Hospital. I get 3 months supply of BP tabs (Losartan) and Statins (Cholesterol) for about 200 baht, that includes doctor's fee's. Best price I have found.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » April 27, 2023, 1:29 am

Just a warning, if you get your meds from a Pharmacy that doesn't have A.C., the meds may lose effectiveness due to extreme heat.

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » April 27, 2023, 4:23 am

Try this place for your meds. My blood thinners are approx 4000 per box of 28 in Udon and l can get them from Fulful Pharm in Pattaya for 2950 baht for same.

[email protected]
+66 95 524 9166

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » April 27, 2023, 9:36 am

After I retired and made the permanent move over here, I was taking three different drugs to control my blood pressure. I always felt bad and my blood pressure wasn't controlled. I was talking to a good friend from Jomtien and he wanted me to visit his heart doctor. I did visit the doctor and took the three drugs with me. The doctor looked at the three drugs and frowned. He told me that it would be best to throw them away and take one 20mg pill called Enaril every day and to come back to see him in a week. Within a few days I felt much better and the best part was that my blood pressure was under control. I did visit the doctor again and he told me that I was fine and to stay on those pills. More than 20 years later, I still take them and my blood pressure is well under control. My pharmacist ran out of Enaril and substituted one called Anapril. She told me they were the same thing. She apparently was correct. I could tell no difference.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » April 27, 2023, 5:57 pm

Mr AlexO , good day.
When you say the general - government - hospital, do you mean the one over at Nong Prajack ? You must see the doctor every 3 months ? How many hours at the hospital before meeting your doctor every 3 months ?
Thanks in advance.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » April 27, 2023, 9:54 pm

I take Amlopine 5mg for blood pressure bought from the Pharmacy next to global house on the ringroad. 100 tabs about 140 baht.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 27, 2023, 10:08 pm

Rick
Just piked up the same at 5mg each Price has gone up to 160 baht

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » April 28, 2023, 12:38 am

the-monk wrote:
April 27, 2023, 5:57 pm
Mr AlexO , good day.
When you say the general - government - hospital, do you mean the one over at Nong Prajack ? You must see the doctor every 3 months ? How many hours at the hospital before meeting your doctor every 3 months ?
Thanks in advance.
No mate, I use the Gov Hospital at Nong Han. My normal waiting time is around 1-2 hours normally because the Thai's all start queuing around 7am. I believe the Non Prajack hospital has a Foreigner desk that offers a fast track service at slightly higher cost for doctors consultation. Maybe the members who are in the big city can confirm or otherwise.

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » April 28, 2023, 6:24 am

Yes General Gov hospital.It is at the top of the esculator facing you! VIP Treatment No a long wait.
Good service and not expensive

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » April 28, 2023, 8:49 am

Thanks for all your suggestions. I am now looking at the options.

Cheers

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » August 19, 2023, 4:32 am

If it is of any help or guidance, a Cardiologist at AEK put me on Losartan 50mgs back in 2014 due to my BP being high (after having driven from Nong Khai in monsoonal rainstorms!) Upon returning to the UK in 2015, my GP continued the Losartan same dosage, but since then about a year or two ago, added Amlodopine 5mgs once daily, which seems to better control my BP.. Statins are being mentioned currently.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 19, 2023, 8:58 am

Some like myself manage with a single hypertension medication whilst others, like my mate back in UK and @arjay are prescribed a cocktail of meds. It's important to get an annual checkup as one gets older.

The advice I got from an examining doctor at KK uni hospital is that hypertension meds alone may not be the answer if your blood work indicates elevated cholesterol. She remarked that it was unusual for the +65 patient to be on hypertension medication alone, especially if their physiology and blood work suggests they're not helping themselves through regular exercise or a better diet.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » August 19, 2023, 9:01 am

arjay wrote:
August 19, 2023, 4:32 am
If it is of any help or guidance, a Cardiologist at AEK put me on Losartan 50mgs back in 2014 due to my BP being high (after having driven from Nong Khai in monsoonal rainstorms!) Upon returning to the UK in 2015, my GP continued the Losartan same dosage, but since then about a year or two ago, added Amlodopine 5mgs once daily, which seems to better control my BP.. Statins are being mentioned currently.
I attend AEK and am on exactly the same medication.
Beware the statins. Every one I know who were prescribed these, myself included, have taken themselves off them due to side effects.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » August 19, 2023, 10:17 am

Jack, I use Entresto 51/49 (Sacubitril + Valsartan, covers a number of conditions including blood pressure) as prescribed by cardiologist in Australia. If not in Australia my referring GP rewrites my prescription, after a phone consultation I have with her. She cites article 24 which allows the medication & 5 repeats to be supplied in one hit. My sister picks up the medication and sends it up to me by "Express Post". I only take 1/2 dosage so it lasts 12 months.

Total cost AUD $180.00 (Medicare subsidized) plus about $45.00 in postage.
(You don't want to know the "over the counter" price of these things!)

Anyway, could be a way for you to get your original meds.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

DuiDui49
udonmap.com

Post by DuiDui49 » August 19, 2023, 12:23 pm

God morning friends !

Question for you all on BP meds and maybe Cholesterol too..

As you might know high BP doesn't happen over night rather over decades and i'm quite sure you have had more or less "hard knocks"stemming from an unhealthy body of yours,but neglected by you or maybe the "knocks"was not hard enough.
Our bodys is smart if we just take time to learn our bodys language..and NOT skip once or twice going for full health checkup.

I just wonder how my of you suffering can honestly tell me they(before they/you were put on BP meds,done everything they can to start implementing..EXERCISE,DIET changes..=loosing the over weight you might be carry for no good reason at all..I guess i will not have to may really honest answers..i hope i'm wrong.

We as a TEAM could help each others by starting a Exercise group here among st those of you that want to try something more "healthy"instead of just putting a band aid on a hurting on your unhealthy day to day living.If i could just get you on the band wagon but i guess i spoke/wrote and my words fell on deaf ears..

Anyway,thank you to those of you who took time to once again ;-)read my rant..We could together work towards a more/better understanding regarding health for us older men and women..don't you think??

Stay safe,healthy and strong..and have a nice weekend..//Alfie :-)

PS."..those ages 65 and older, the new guideline decreases this healthy range to less than 120/80.."DS

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 19, 2023, 1:57 pm

^ In anticipation of the rainy season interfering with my morning bike hikes, I bought a treadmill on lazada. I hope to start using it some time after Grab delivers my pizza(s).
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » August 19, 2023, 5:14 pm

In terms of diet, my research says, minimise/avoid saturated fats, red meats, dairy (milk), processed foods, burgers, crisps, sugar and alcohol (which turns to sugar in the body), and aim at low a carb diet. Eat lots of oily fish, salmon, veg, inc leafy green veg, and eat white meats, e.g. chicken in preference to red meats. Plus regular exersize.

Return to “Health & Beauty”