Dengue Fever

Looking for advise on hospitals, dentists and other health issues? Ask here.
UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Dengue Fever

Post by UdonExpat » July 10, 2008, 9:06 am

Udon isn't in this warning, but Dengue Fever is throughout the country.
Ratchaburi - There has been a fivefold annual increase in the incidence of dengue fever here. It has killed four people since the beginning of the year.

The province is suffering the second worst outbreak in the country. In all, 1,400 people have been infected.

Public Health deputy permanent secretary Dr Paijit Warachit visited yesterday to find out why.

The ministry declared Bang Phae, Photharam, and Damnoen Saduak districts emergency zones. Special measures are being implemented to control mosquitoes.

Paijit visited patients at Photharam Hospital.

Warning signs have been erected instructing residents to clear their properties of standing water where mosquitoes can bread. Failure to do so can mean one month in jail or a Bt2,000 fine.

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » July 10, 2008, 9:30 am

Yes you ae absolutly right, the dammed thing can lie for up to one year in a dry spot then with fresh water hatch and do the deed.
The mosquito does not like ponds and things, but prefers fresh water, also lives living indoors as opposed to outside, but unlike a mosquito, does NOT make a sound when flying.
can be deadly, have a whole speil about it but suggest you take a peek on the internet to update yourself on the little sod.
it is in Thailand, maybe more so this year as we seem to have an abundance of water.
Guns

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Dengue fever

Post by mortiboy » July 10, 2008, 10:38 am

My friend was taken ill about two months ago.He went to Aek Hospital,on which they took him in That day.After tests, they told him he had this Dengue fever.
He became very ill,and was there for one week!Then returned home.
After about a week, he became ill again.Even though he was on medication.
He lost 7 kilo.Even now he has not fully recovered.
He said it started with a insect bite to his hand.After a while. it became inflamed.
He assumed this was the cause of the infection.
Apparently, it is the "Day" mosquito carries this disease
Hospital fee was 60,000 baht .Also more medication 4000 baht!

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » July 10, 2008, 3:35 pm

Many of us may be infected and deal with it in the normal course of events feeling no so good for a couple of days, then it gets better. it is the female that does the deed ( isn't it always hehe).
it can be bad maybe it is because some of us suffer from other ailments, and react, tis true you can get infected again or it lies dormant and then reoccurs, whatever it is , it can be bad, deaths are uncommon BUT not unkown.
Simple answer do not have fresh water in side the house, even watering plants can provide the neccesary home for these chappies. Fish aquariuns OK a the fish eat the eggs normally, but not 100%.
All in all a nasty bug that can cause great suffering
Guns

Guns482
udonmap.com

Post by Guns482 » August 3, 2008, 7:41 am

Dengue outbreak hits Bangkok , 48 dead so far
By Pongphon Sarnsamak
The Nation
Published on August 1, 2008

Dengue fever has spread across the country, killing 48 people and infecting more than 40,000 so far this year, Public Health Minister Wicharn Meenchainant said yesterday.

Up to last Saturday, 41,307 patients have been diagnosed nationwide with dengue haemorrhagic fever and Bangkok was the hardest hit with 3,763 patients, according to the Disease Control Department's Bureau of Epidemiology.

Ratchaburi suffered the second worst outbreak with 1,710 victims, followed by Nakhon Sawan with 1,582, Phetchabun with 1,304 and Rayong with 1,291.

Vichan said the risk of catching dengue fever from mosquitoes this year was running high compared to last year, which saw 29 fatalities out of 60,000 cases.

The ministry's report identifies four strains. This year's seasonal epidemic was blamed on type 2, while last year type 1 was virulent.

People could hypothetically get infected by each of the four dengue strains separately in their lifetime.

Permanent secretary Prat Bunyawongwiroj said this year type 2 was more dangerous to humans as it was more resistant to the immune system.

Vichan has ordered provincial public health offices to strictly control and monitor the transmission of dengue fever among people in the local area.

Local authorities should spray insecticide to eradicate the adult Aedes aegypti mosquito, which bites humans in the daytime.

Residents should drain off any stagnant water to prevent mosquitoes from breeding and use abates sand, a pesticide, to destroy their larvae.

WARNING
Well says it all, it is here, be very careful gentlemen and ladies, take precautions. Even spea to your neighbours who may not be as clean as yourselves, clear stagnant water.
Guns

Techland
udonmap.com

Re: Dengue Fever

Post by Techland » August 31, 2008, 12:08 pm

This is a first hand (mine) story. At the end of July one evening I got shocked when looking in the mirror. My body looked like I had got a sunburn - but I had not been out in the sun. Then while showering I got heavy shivering, so I went to bed.

Next day I had about 38.6 fever, felt very powerless. Second day same. Can not eat. Everything tastes wrong. As this is very unusual for me (I am a fit person and healthy) I went to AEK and got urine and blood checked. The doctor did not find anything, ordered me to eat tons of Paracetamol to lower the fever and come back after a few days to check for Dengue fever.

My state continued like before. I felt so weak and could not see correctly (means not work on the computer), moving made me feel dizzy. The fever stayed and did not want to go away.

Finally on the seventh day the fever was gone. Well, that was the day I had to fly to Germany, so I did. On arrival went to the doctor immediately to check again. The doctor looked at me and said: what kind of allergy have you got? My skin had small swellings everywhere and still was red, looking a little bit like sunburn. And yes, they found Dengue fever in my blood, first a little (it needs about 5 days to be able to be detected), then after two weeks my blood was full of antibodies.

My blood tests also showed horribly wrong liver values. There is no explanation for this, as I don't drink (and smoke), and usually Dengue is not related to liver problems. So I got some more examinations, but nothing was found. After 4 weeks the liver values returned to normal.

You can find all information about Dengue fever in Wikipedia. The symptoms described there for the first infection are much more severe than what I had, but this may be just because my overall constitution is quite good. The real problem comes with (mentioned above) the four strains. I am now immune against one strain of Dengue. But when infected with a different one (see above, maybe next year...), the fever is no normal fever anymore. The reaction of the body is even worse, giving you the so called haemorrhagic fever. This one breaks the cell walls and causes inner bloodings. The death rate is 30%! To survive this you must be sure to have a good constitution and stay in the hospital all time. Somewhat scares me...
Last edited by Techland on August 31, 2008, 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Techland
udonmap.com

Post by Techland » August 31, 2008, 12:12 pm

Just to add: I have no clue where I had been infected. I was going around in Udon at that time from east to west, and the incubation time is 2 or 3 days, so I really have no clue. But my wife told me that a baby in one of the neighbour houses got Dengue too. Maybe I got it simply at home (which is First home).

DeNuit
udonmap.com

Post by DeNuit » July 2, 2009, 4:32 pm

Hum... I had forgotten about this dengue fever problem while looking about going to Udon this summer... rain season perhaps not the right time to visit Udon... wait till december/Xmas time perhaps better ?...

I can have (and did for my previous two trips to LOS) prevention tablets against malaria but no prevention tablets exists against dengue if I am not mistaken no ?

So that means have to be fully covered with clothes which have been treated to repulse mosquitoes at all time and not forget to spray hands and heads with also strong repulsing mosquitoes spray... not sure that reprensent my ideal hollidays walking around fully covered like that when it is the most hot and humid moments of the year in Udon...

What is the situation concerning this Dengue Fever actually in Udon ?

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » July 2, 2009, 4:36 pm

Wife says there are 3 cases in her Village already, 20 klm out of Udon :(

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » July 2, 2009, 4:54 pm

DeNuit, Malaria is not an issue in Thailand. You will have read above, there are cases of Dengue Fever. It doesn't represent a big problem and even less so in the town, though obviously very unpleasant, indeed dangerous, for those that do get it.

I wouldn't get paranoid over it. If you are concerned, it should be sufficient to spray your ankles (and maybe wrists) when going out in the evening, and generally be sensible like avoid dark corners or areas with lots of vegetation. If you tend to attract mossies, then wear long trousers and/or long sleeves in the evenings.

As you mention, during November to February being the cool dry season, there are likely to be less mosquitos about and/or they seem less active.

Jojje
udonmap.com

Post by Jojje » July 2, 2009, 6:27 pm

I got Denguefever in april this year. Had to stay one week in hospital as I was in a bad condition. Lost 10 kg, could not eat. I lived in central Udon Thani.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » July 2, 2009, 6:31 pm

arjay wrote:DeNuit, Malaria is not an issue in Thailand. You will have read above, there are cases of Dengue Fever. It doesn't represent a big problem and even less so in the town, though obviously very unpleasant, indeed dangerous, for those that do get it.

I wouldn't get paranoid over it. If you are concerned, it should be sufficient to spray your ankles (and maybe wrists) when going out in the evening, and generally be sensible like avoid dark corners or areas with lots of vegetation. If you tend to attract mossies, then wear long trousers and/or long sleeves in the evenings.

As you mention, during November to February being the cool dry season, there are likely to be less mosquitos about and/or they seem less active.
Arjay, That's Boom-Boom time for the Mossies !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

DeNuit
udonmap.com

Post by DeNuit » July 2, 2009, 7:18 pm

Yep Arjay, Malaria is not a problem/issue as I am "covered" from it by the appropriate tablets anyway. So Malaria night time mossies not a problem.

Day time mossies, the Dengue Fever type, is the problem. I have read the other two threads about it (one of them said that some of the BM kids had it one or two years ago was it ?) and done some research over this subject on the health sites for travellers. There is no prevention tablets and no cure for it ; when you get it you have to keep your temperature down and live through it and most of the time that includ some time at the hospital...

Only thing to do is avoid to get sting by these daytime dengue fever carrier mossies... So during the day, when it is so hot and humid during the rain season (season with the most mossies on top of that), you have to wear -as you said- long trousers and long sleeves. The French ambassy health site recommend also to have your cloths -including socks- sprayed appropriatly (with special spray for cloth) and to spray every 4 to 6 hours -depending on how much you sweat- your ankles, wrists and hands and also the head and neck...

Maybe the cool dry season, with less mossies arround and when walking around day time dressed with long trousers and long sleeves is less unpleasant because the temperature and humidy are lower, is a better time for visiting Udon.... will thing about it...

Jojje
udonmap.com

Post by Jojje » July 2, 2009, 9:54 pm

I´ve been told that Gin&Tonic gives a good protection against mosquitos. I think it is the quinine that mosquitos avoid. Keep on drinking. :drunk:

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » July 2, 2009, 10:19 pm

Malaria is not a problem in Thailand unless you venture into the hinterland up north etc, as for Dengue, well there is nowt you can do, most people experience mild probs, some like all infections do experience the worst.
keeping ones house and surrounding areas clean and spray for mossies can help. Ensure all standing water isn't and if you have saucers small or large under plant, ensure they are cleaned.
Now do not forget the mossie Aedes, actually,likes us, and has learnt to live withing our environment, so unlikely to live outside, so the above relating to water and pots etc is important.
I have never taken a malaria tab here in 7 years , never got the bug, as for all other mossie bourne or airborne virus/dieseases, as with everyone else it is in the lap of the gods.
keeping oneself reasonably healthy helps I think

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » July 3, 2009, 6:43 am

My son got it about 2 years ago, it wasn't life threatening and he pulled through fine. Today nothing has changed, we're not paranoid about it. We certainly don't take any precautions like dousing are clothing in DEET or anything like that. TIT and life goes on...

DeNuit
udonmap.com

Post by DeNuit » July 3, 2009, 5:45 pm

TIT ? ... what is TIT ?... Trust In something starting with a T ?

Astana
udonmap.com

Post by Astana » July 3, 2009, 5:55 pm

This Is Thailand

Thailand In Turmoil

Tits In Thailand

Tarts In Thailand

Lots more out there, first one used most probable choice, used often to portray irony i.e. couldn't happen elsewhere. ;)

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 3, 2009, 5:59 pm

This Is Thailand denuit.... :D (I think it is a gasp of despair, rather than "Trust" which would be a cry of hope.... :D :D :D :D

DeNuit
udonmap.com

Post by DeNuit » July 3, 2009, 6:00 pm

Oky doky guys. Thanks for the info :)

Return to “Health & Beauty”