R I P John Mcknight

Pay tribute to loved ones and friends here...
stevecg
udonmap.com

R I P John Mcknight

Post by stevecg » July 15, 2014, 11:17 pm

It is with deep regret that I have to announce the death of one of Udon's great characters John Mcknight known to many of us as the Major who passed away peacefully at his home in Ban Saan Soran on the evening of the 15th July 2014. The Major had been a resident of Udon for approx 13 years and before that lived in Ban Dung. Our thoughts go out to his wife, Fon and his young daughter Alannah. The major fought many a battle in his career as a soldier but sadly he has lost his battle for life. R I P Major John McKnight.

Harpo
udonmap.com

R I P John Mcknight

Post by Harpo » July 16, 2014, 4:34 am

[quote="stevecg"]

I never meet the Man. However, I do hope he had a good life ....RIP (Major) John Mc Knight......from harpo
Great Southern Land

timmy
udonmap.com

R I P John Mcknight

Post by timmy » July 16, 2014, 6:28 am

RIP john , you,ll be sadly missed , 1 of the good 1s ..... the major ....

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

R I P John Mcknight

Post by Drunk Monkey » July 16, 2014, 6:45 am

Definately one of Udon's characters i bumped into the Major on numerous occasions around town most recently in Steve n Mali's Tbar , always had a chat ... a really nice fella .

Condolences to his family

RIP Major .
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

nbm47
udonmap.com

R I P John Mcknight

Post by nbm47 » July 16, 2014, 6:53 am

Yes its a sad day for all who knew the Major, he had struggled to overcome his illness for quite sometime, but was unable to do so. I visited him last Thursday and he wasn't coping too well then. I had been good friends with John for many years
and we were often seen in the Udon fraternity before his illness in the bars having a beer or two. He will be missed by many people in Udon, but in particular his wife Fon and daughter Alannah to whom our condolences must go

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

R I P John Mcknight

Post by merchant seaman » July 16, 2014, 7:03 am

First met the Major in the origial Steve's Bar when it first opened. Always neatly dressed and groomed. The proper Englishman sterotype. RIP John, you will be missed by many.
No man has a good enough memory to be a succesful liar.

goodison
udonmap.com

R I P John Mcknight

Post by goodison » July 16, 2014, 7:08 am

A true gent in every sense. One of Udon's great characters. He epitomised "An Englishman Abroad" Will be sadly missed by all those who were fortunate to have met him. RIP JOHN.Bring all those that are "upstairs" into line. drc

GARYZX6R
udonmap.com

R I P John Mcknight

Post by GARYZX6R » July 16, 2014, 7:37 am

RIP John ,another sad day...

mak
udonmap.com

R I P John Mcknight

Post by mak » July 16, 2014, 9:05 am

Great guy. RIP John.

phen
udonmap.com

R I P John Mcknight

Post by phen » July 16, 2014, 9:15 am

RIP John.
I will always remember the good time we had when we go swim with the children.
Our Condolence go out to his wife Fon and Alannah

socksy
udonmap.com

R I P John Mcknight

Post by socksy » July 16, 2014, 9:36 am

RIP the 'Major'. I never seen him for weeks before his passing away.
Here's tae us, wha's like us, damn few, and they're a' deid. Mair's the pity!
Alba gu bràth
Since 1872 Semper Paratus. Neque Deditionem

pal52
udonmap.com

R I P John Mcknight

Post by pal52 » July 16, 2014, 9:39 am

He will be sadly missed. He was a good friend for 13 years. My heartfelt condolences to his wife Fon & daughter Alannah
Photo John.jpeg
John is on the far left

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

R I P John Mcknight

Post by Khun Paul » July 16, 2014, 9:57 am

Yet another true Englishman has passed away, a loss to his family and to many here in Udon, to whom John was fondly called the Major. he was always dressed correctly as an officer and a gentleman, polite and quietly humorous . Many had seen his decline in his health over the preceding months and as his appearances became less and less, we worried about him, however maybe we were scared at the outcome I do not know,we didn't visit, but I know he knew we cared. The last time I saw him we had a chuckle or two.
He will be missed by many a true charactor. Our heartfelt condolences go to his wife and daughter at this sad time.
RIP John you deserve it old chap.

papafarang
udonmap.com

R I P John Mcknight

Post by papafarang » July 16, 2014, 10:32 am

a true gentleman RIP john
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

Aardvark
udonmap.com

R I P John Mcknight

Post by Aardvark » July 16, 2014, 7:04 pm

Had a moment or two over the years, RIP Major ...

alanstreet

R I P John Mcknight

Post by alanstreet » July 17, 2014, 6:30 pm

very sad to hear this news about my old friend, golfing mate and bridge buddy, John. A gentleman of the first order and someone whom I expected to be forever on the Udon scene. Although I left Udon in 2006, I did have a holiday in and around the old watering holes on my return for a short holiday a few years back. I was delighted to meet up with John again and he appeared to be in fine fettle. I'll never forget his genuine thanks to me for starting a weekly magazine regarding our golfing activities. Sadly our informal gol meetings were formalised into a full-blown golf society with Chairman, Hon Sec etc. which was all quite unnecessary and inevitably led to the demise of casual, friendly golf in Udon. It's been said before but it's true that the first instinct of a few Brits when they get together is to form a committee.

This is of course all irrelevant in the context of the death of one of Udon's own and along with my deep regret to hear of John's passing go my deepest sympathy to his wife and daughter.

Alan S

pal52
udonmap.com

R I P John Mcknight

Post by pal52 » July 17, 2014, 8:42 pm

John is now in the Temple next to his home Ban San Saran for the next 3 days (Lake Garden near T Bar) if anyone wants to visit.
His actual funeral is planned for Sunday 20th.
Exact details will follow when his wife Fon has finalized everything.
She has been very busy and the perfect wife looking after John when he was alive in his poor health/sickness the last 18 monthas & now he has died.
My Sympathy & thanks from my heart go out to her for looking after a dear friend, loving father, husband & gentleman

timmy
udonmap.com

R I P John Mcknight

Post by timmy » July 17, 2014, 9:26 pm

can any1 put a map on this thred to show where , ban san saran , is please
i,ve not yet been to T bar or i,m thinking maybe near casbers .. and is it going
to be thai funaral on the 20th at what time ?

wazza
udonmap.com

R I P John Mcknight

Post by wazza » July 18, 2014, 5:19 am

The Major was one of the first guys I met back in 2000, cruising the day time places for a few cold beers, Complex, Steves Bar, then Harrys etc

John was also Tony Prendergast's wingman for many years here in Udon, and they were best of friends for many years.

Sadly John was unaware of Tony's passing recently , but so lovely to see Fon at Tony's service.

RIP to The Major and thanks for those early memories of Udon

nbm47
udonmap.com

R I P John Mcknight

Post by nbm47 » July 18, 2014, 8:58 am

For all those who may be interested John's funeral will be held this coming Sunday (20th) commencing at 1300hrs or 1PM from his house in Ban San Siran. From there the service will be at the Nong Bua Wat nearby.

Return to “Obituaries”