John Motson RIP

Pay tribute to loved ones and friends here...
stattointhailand
udonmap.com

John Motson RIP

Post by stattointhailand » February 23, 2023, 6:11 pm

Thanks for the years of interesting commentaries (all except the Hereford one)....... RIP Motty

747man
udonmap.com

Re: John Motson RIP

Post by 747man » February 23, 2023, 8:10 pm

stattointhailand wrote:
February 23, 2023, 6:11 pm
Thanks for the years of interesting commentaries (all except the Hereford one)....... RIP Motty
That Was One of his Best....." And it's Radford 30 Yards Out.....Bang.." WHAT A Goal That Is " Yes R.I.P. Motty !!

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » February 24, 2023, 11:07 am

Paying tribute, Everton tweeted: “We are deeply saddened by the passing of John Motson OBE, a broadcasting legend of our game whose iconic voice brought football to homes for more than 50 years. He will be sorely missed.RIP Motty.”

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » February 24, 2023, 11:09 am

His most famous line involving Everton came when Graeme Sharp famously scored at the Anfield Road end back in 1984. It was, at the time, the first time Everton had won at their arch-rivals for 14 years.

Motson said: "And he got behind Lawrenson there did Sharp. And what a fantastic goal. An unbelievable finish from Graeme Sharp. And the Evertonians have gone berserk. I haven't seen a goal quite like that in a Merseyside derby for years."

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » February 24, 2023, 11:11 am

And a Couple More from the Legendary Commentator.......

Another classic Motson line involving Everton came during that same season when Andy Gray scored against Sunderland at Goodison. He said: “[Peter] Reid’s cross, Gray - what a fantastic goal!”

“It’s Arsenal 0 – Everton 1, and the longer it stays like that the more you’ve got to fancy Everton,” was another of Motson’s great lines involving the Blues.

Chriss
udonmap.com

Post by Chriss » February 25, 2023, 3:54 pm

I believe another classic was “If your watching this in black and white Spurs are the team in all yellow”

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » February 25, 2023, 5:38 pm

Motson appears to be one of many tautology commentators worldwide to raise a smile, one wonders how many are contrived and some simply their style.

In Australia, undoubtedly Rex (Moose) Mossop holds the undisputed crown, an ex-rugby player, one of his classics was commentating on a cricket match 'Bowler is Holding, batsmans Willie'.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 25, 2023, 8:47 pm

I thought that was Johnners (Brian Johnston) and it wasnt actually in a commentry, it was when they were messing about during a break (lunch/tea) and saying that it could possibly happen. It was said on air, but it was not one of those oh my god what have I just said moments, it was "prepared"

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » February 25, 2023, 9:03 pm

Stat, I was surprised too, it did sound contrived, but this is my source. Down towards the bottom of the page.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2014/01/21/s ... d-coleman/

I am inclined to think it is misattributed to Mossop, especially given your input. Why would Mossop be commentating on a match between the West Indies and the MCC?

Will look at again tomorrow.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » February 25, 2023, 9:24 pm

I could be wrong as I'm only going on memory (not got any sources). Memory could well be playing tricks, but I can see bumble telling the story in my mind, and I'm (fairly) sure I wasn't dreaming

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » February 26, 2023, 6:40 pm

The site I viewed was a forum site and the post I read was from a forum member. So I suspect your info is more reliable stat. We all know that forum posts are not necessarily reliable.

Silly me for not checking first.

Return to “Obituaries”