Deaths in the Expat Community

Pay tribute to loved ones and friends here...
Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Deaths in the Expat Community

Post by Khun Paul » May 12, 2023, 11:58 am

Again I will raise this sad subject and also ask that it be made a co0mplete seperate topic heading never to be deleted as that would mean a entral point to be researched and looked at by the allegedly thousands of readers, some members others distant purveyors of information

Once again we appear to have had TWO expats pass away , Know the names but unable to recollect the face, once again zero photos so those that may have known but whose memory is somewhat failing unable to ascertain correctly about whom others are talking.

We are all getting older and some certainly more infirm whose galavanting around is now limited so personal interaction is also constrained so any reminder of people is beneficial and YET ......No photos.

We did hjave arguments before about this and yet there is NO GOOD reason why photo not posted together if I amy ask full names, ( nicknames if applicable known by others ) plus any other details deemed necessary.

WE owe it to ourselves to keep us all informed and a dedicated topic heading would ensure people do post for ther beefit of others, .

over the years i have seen many die, some suddenly, some it was a known fact, just waiting for the final call , but yet when you ask why or when people just shrug their shoulderw as if they did not care, that is indifference and that is so sad and pitiful that a group pof people care little about their fellowman to inform others of their passing and reasons possibly.

No0ne really knows who people know and lack of unformatiopn I can tell you does emotionally get to you , makes you really wonder about people.

SO CAN we all try to be more informative with photos of a person who has passed so we all know ...THankyou.;

Oh one last thought, snide, unhelpful and clearly insulting posts are not required .thanks

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Re: Deaths in the Expat Community

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 12, 2023, 5:48 pm

Clear and concise as ever KP :? ..

So to clarify.... basically you want a picture of local expats who die identifying them to the wider community who didnt know them well enough to know they had died.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » May 12, 2023, 5:56 pm

Just, maybe they dont have one.

And what is the big deal?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » May 12, 2023, 6:29 pm

I spent over an hour looking at hundreds of pics from past years trying to find one that had Bob shown in it that I could post, sadly I have to say I do not have one (I can only assume the old b*gger was propping up the bar whilst the pics of others were being taken). Some people do tend to avoid having their picture taken whilst others seem to always want to be at the front and centre.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » May 13, 2023, 4:08 pm

[Redacted]

Why photos someone mentioned, well in truth over the years many people move away, stop circulating for many reasons and as we age we do forget faces, and or names, so that was the reason for that suggestion .

Thankyou .

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » May 14, 2023, 10:14 am

As statts has found out, the older the person, the less likely there may be any pictures or photos. Since people expiring of old age will have mostly predated the likes of a camera phone and social media, relying on those faded Kodak or Fuji prints may be the best shot... if you can remember where you put them.

I think the existing Obits thread will suffice although it will help if some additional information is included such as, "late of Ban Dung" or "Harley rider" or "a busy golfer" or "a Farang Alley regular." If you don't know where Ban Dung is, played golf, ride a hog or moved here after the alley was bulldozed, chances are you probably won't know him anyway. However, a photo will probably jog a memory if it exists.

As there's nothing to stop people posting pictures of the deceased if they are available and in good taste, then this isn't prohibited in the Obits thread either. Personally, I think it's a bit mawkish to post pictures of the dead regardless of the good intent.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » May 14, 2023, 11:45 am

stattointhailand wrote:
May 12, 2023, 6:29 pm
I spent over an hour looking at hundreds of pics from past years trying to find one that had Bob shown in it that I could post, sadly I have to say I do not have one (I can only assume the old b*gger was propping up the bar whilst the pics of others were being taken). Some people do tend to avoid having their picture taken whilst others seem to always want to be at the front and centre.
I can't believe you didn't pop along to the morgue, lift the lid and take a photo to satisfy the morbid curiosity of someone who was not a friend. :D :D

Fuzzy Ken
udonmap.com

Post by Fuzzy Ken » May 14, 2023, 1:27 pm

In my experience, there is almost always a nice photo of the occupant propped against his box, coffin that is, just follow the directions to the burning, and take a swift snap, before they light the blue touch-paper. Very doubtful that anyone would be concerned, most will be thinking of the deceased, I think

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » May 14, 2023, 2:00 pm

Number one consideration is the family, they will probably be happy to supply a pic, but up to them
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 14, 2023, 2:59 pm

Fuzzy Ken wrote:
May 14, 2023, 1:27 pm
In my experience, there is almost always a nice photo of the occupant propped against his box, coffin that is, just follow the directions to the burning, and take a swift snap, before they light the blue touch-paper. Very doubtful that anyone would be concerned, most will be thinking of the deceased, I think
Not sure if you are being serious Ken :? that sounds a bit weird to me as the thought of a hobby of rocking up at the funeral of what in most cases would be a stranger or someone you did not know that well to take photo of a photo of the deceased was best tagged by Jackspratt in a previous post now gone .. morbid curiosity .... should one keep an A-Z or a scrap book so in future years you can sit down with the grand kids and show them all the expats that croaked it?

Not sure a picture is really required as if the person passing away was a friend or acquaintance therefore an image is already in ones head, if not quite why would you feel the need to see them post death seems rather odd in a mawkish way. (nice word Tam)

Only my opinion others may or may not agree ..

**disclaimer ... I do recall whilst living at Nong Sim next to the 2 temples there a group of old dears who used to attend every funeral without fail .. not to mourn as they didnt know the deceased ..just for the free food and to snaffle as many coins thrown out by the family during the burning.

DM

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » May 15, 2023, 7:27 pm

Back on topic .. dont see the need for pics of dead expats ..thats my opinion.. others may not agree obviously

DM

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » May 15, 2023, 8:11 pm

Well not a picture but I do think it would be helpful tp give his forum name if it was a member.
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

Return to “Obituaries”