Udon Thani FC 2016-season

Sports, Leisure and Adventure for the active minded. (Udon Thani related topics only)
Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » January 2, 2016, 9:55 am

Happy New Year to all UDFC-fans! :D

The new season kicks off in only 6 weeks (February 13th), and officially UDFC don`t have a single player yet. :shock:
They might have signed some of last season`s players, or some new ones, but nothing has been announced yet.
On Monday January 4th, UDFC will announce their new head coach, who is rumoured to be one of the current assistant coaches of Thailand`s successful U23 National team. If correct or not, we`ll have to wait 2 more days to find out.

A new stadium will be built in Nong Dae, next to the road just outside Udon, towards Nong Khai. The capacity will be 13000, and it`s said to be finished in 2017. Sadly, the new stadium will have a running track, so it won`t be a real football stadium, but it will surely be better than the current one.

Ubon UMT United and Khon Kaen United got promoted to Division 1 last season, so UDFC won`t play them this season, but there will be other teams that might give UDFC a good fight in the promotion race.
Let`s hope a good coach will be presented on Monday, and that the best players from last season, in addition to some better ones, will be signed shortly.

Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » January 3, 2016, 6:39 pm

It seems as Choketawee Promrut will be presented as new UDFC-coach tomorrow. He is currently an assistant coach on Thailand`s U23 National team. It`s being said that he will quit the U23-side "soon". When that is, I don`t know.
The U23`s travel to Qatar tomorrow morning for a tournament, and will stay there for up to 4 weeks. If he goes with them there, he will miss most of UDFC`s pre-season training, and the signing of players.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choketawee_Promrut

Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » January 5, 2016, 8:47 am

Choketawee Promrut was yesterday presented as UDFC`s new head coach. He is currently with Thailand`s U23 National team at a tournament in Qatar, but will come to Udon in 2-4 weeks, depending on how well Thailand is doing. He will not continue with the National team after this tournament, according to my source.

UDFC have also said that 5 players from last season, is confirmed for 2016. Yuyun (32) is the only foreigner amongst the 5, but there might be more. The other confirmed players is number 3 and 24 + the 2 youngsters 19 and 23, who showed last season that they might be players for the future.

Last season`s topscorer, Promphong (9), seems to be returning to Nakhon Ratchasima in TPL.

Pre-season training is starting at 4pm today.

Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » January 10, 2016, 9:21 pm

Some crazy rumours (?) was going around on various twitter accounts this afternoon. It said that UDFC was in talks with the owner of Pattaya United to buy their TPL-spot for 60 million baht. If there`s any truth in it, I have no idea, but can`t see that UDFC in any way is ready for TPL at the end of next month... :shock:

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 10, 2016, 11:05 pm

Svein66 wrote:Some crazy rumours (?) was going around on various twitter accounts this afternoon. It said that UDFC was in talks with the owner of Pattaya United to buy their TPL-spot for 60 million baht. If there`s any truth in it, I have no idea, but can`t see that UDFC in any way is ready for TPL at the end of next month... :shock:
I heard the same rumour from a mate who is a staunch Pattaya Utd fan ....alas since when has common sense or "being ready" ever come in front of MONEY in any sport in Asia... to be honest the whole TFA is as bent as a nine bob note and make the rules up as they go along ... dodgy refs , pay offs for penalties , pitch invasions , fllood light failure replays and points deducted the list is endless ... precisely the reason after going to a few games and seeing thru mush of the BS i stopped going ...

Some years ago my son played juniors for Chonburi FC when living in Patts at that time i enjoyed following the team and the games both home and away but progress in the system has come at a price with a merry go round of a small number of top players and managers ..combined with fame n fortune hungry sponsors the game is now at best laughable here ...sorry but UDFC are lumped together in that group with players n managers , coaches buying their positions at the whim, of a favourable sponsorship deal or a friend of a friend...... its NOT the game as i knew/know it and it aint gonna get any better IMO .

Rant over .....GOOD LUCK TO UDFC for the coming season and i hope all that attend enjoy the show .
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » January 11, 2016, 11:26 am

I very much agree with your comments, DM. Although I do still go and support, it’s naïve to think football doesn’t suffer the Thai disease too. So, whilst I’d love to believe Udon FC will one day become an Issan force to challenge the “big boys”, my enthusiasm can’t be unreserved and wholehearted with the suspicion something ‘dodgy’ might be occurring. Perhaps many Thai in daily life and football often accept a ‘mai pen rai’ attitude when the team benefits/loses out, but I really want Udon to progress on honest merit alone. Dream on?

In watching games home and sometimes away, I hope I can at least have faith in the players. I can’t recall instances of e.g. a ‘keeper throwing the ball in his own net, or our clinical striker missing six ‘sitters’. :lol: There seems enough effort and determination to win. The problem in Thai football, not surprisingly, rests with those administering the game, rich and influential people involved in some capacity and matchday officials lacking experience, competence, or taking backhanders too.

As an example, as I understand it, there’s a skirmish going on in the Thai Premier League now. A RECENT decision to increase the TPL to 20 Clubs from 18 and, I understand, possibly preventing two big Clubs from relegation. Surely, anywhere else in world football, a major decision like that would have been taken at least a year back, before the start of the season just finished?

I rather feel the Pattaya/Udon thing is an April Fool. The fact it’s January, something clearly lost in translation! :D Perhaps Udon would play in Pattaya? Better book those Air Asia seats to U-Tapao now. ;)

I’ll mention the new stadium, which Udon will use. I’m sure most Udon fans are disappointed that it will contain an athletics track, when the original hope was that it would be a scaled down version of the excellent Buriram. – no track for a start. I hope it will be a bit ‘special’ and fear it might be just a bigger version of a typical provincial ground. I guess Udon FC didn’t have enough money to build their own dedicated stadium. At the same time, I didn’t think the athletic facilities at the current ground were put to much use and isn’t there supposed to be yet another ‘international’ sports facility being built near the University satellite? :-k

I hope the Udon management is working hard to recruit new players. Only NINE on view at this morning's training, so seemingly a lot to do before season start next month.

My rant over!
More positive, this Thursday 14th, 1800 hrs ko, the Udon FC under-19 team play Muang Thong in the Quarter-Final, 1st leg of the Thailand Championship, also called Coca Cola Cup. So come and cheer the youngsters, your local team and let’s see if we can put one over the youth team from one of the bigger Clubs.

Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » January 11, 2016, 7:21 pm

Brian Davis wrote:As an example, as I understand it, there’s a skirmish going on in the Thai Premier League now. A RECENT decision to increase the TPL to 20 Clubs from 18 and, I understand, possibly preventing two big Clubs from relegation. Surely, anywhere else in world football, a major decision like that would have been taken at least a year back, before the start of the season just finished? [/b]
Rumours today is that both BEC Tero and Port might accept relegation for the good of Thai football, so there might be another meeting deciding to go from 20 teams back to 18 again. :shock: :?

But there`s still no new date for the D1-game between Sukhothai and Nakhon Pathom, from early May last year, 8 months ago, where the floodlights went dead. The winner will get promoted to TPL, unless it ends 0-0, which will see BBCU getting promoted. It`s really, really crazy that something can go on for this long without any final decision! :shock: :shock:

No confirmation either way on yesterday`s rumour that UDFC might buy a place in this season`s TPL, so we`ll just have to wait and see if anything happen...

Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » January 15, 2016, 9:30 pm

Not a lot happening at UDFC these days, at least not in public. They have signed a 37-year old player from Phuket, who was born in Udon Thani. I have so far 6 confirmed players on my list, but I think they need a few more... :D

UDFC might move to Rajabhat University Stadium this season. The decision will be made at a meeting on the 23rd...

Tomorrow we might know which teams that`s going to play in RL North-East in 2016. Hopefully 2-3 less than last season.

Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » January 16, 2016, 8:05 pm

There`s 17 clubs in this year`s North-Eastern league. Again this is the league with most number of teams, but except for the Southern league (11 teams), the other 4 has only 1-2 teams less. This probably mean that 3rd placed team in North-East will again play 2nd from the South for the final CL-place.
No new teams, but Yasothon returns after a 2-year break.

It also seems that the start of the league will be February 7, instead of the 13th as previous stated.
udfcteams2016.jpg

redwolf
udonmap.com

Udon Thani FC Schedule

Post by redwolf » January 18, 2016, 2:33 pm

hey does anyone know the schedule this year?

looked around but didn't find their usual website, etc.
AUT VIAM INVENIAM AUT FACIAM | ARCANA IMPERII | ALIS AQUILAE

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Udon Thani FC Schedule

Post by Brian Davis » January 18, 2016, 7:35 pm

I'm sure Svein will probably make some suggestions as to places to look for info. There is a topic already running - "Udon Thani FC 2016-season"
I'll also suggest https://www.facebook.com/UDFCinfo.
I don't think we have anywhere the complete schedule on a page yet, but the league season ko on 7 February, when Udon is at home to Mukdahan.
Some question marks over whether they'll have a team to put out! (bring your boots just in case), as information about retained or new players is difficult to come by. Only 9 confirmed players, I believe. It's not helped by the fact the new Head Coach is currently in Qatar with the Thai u 23 squad.
There's also a meeting this coming Saturday about the possibility of Udon using the Rajaphat (University) new stadium, in lieu of the usual location. There are a lot of issues to be resolved, not least insufficient crowd capacity and a newly-laid playing surface which is far from ready yet, but even if given the ok, personally I can't imagine a move there for what 6-8 weeks? We'll see.
All in all, the preparation for a new season leaves much to be desired.

Svein66
udonmap.com

Udon Thani FC Schedule

Post by Svein66 » January 19, 2016, 9:12 am

I can`t see any need of 2 UDFC-topics, so no other comment from me here...;)
http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/u ... 38747.html

Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » January 23, 2016, 9:37 pm

It was today decided that UDFC will play at Rajabhat University Stadium this season. This stadium won`t be ready for UDFC to use until 3rd matchday (Feb 20/21), so Mukdahan will be asked to switch the opening game on Feb 7 to Mukdahan.
The stadium is still not completely finished, and UDFC also have to do some work there, as increasing the capacity from 2500 to 4000.
The capacity will not be more than 4000, the team manager told me yesterday, so there will surely be a fight for tickets this season, if UDFC is fighting for promotion. The best thing to do for the fans will be to buy a season ticket, that will be on sale before the season starts.
The main reason for switching to this stadium is that the pitch is much better.

UDFC is having a trainingcamp in Korat next week, where they will meet their new coach.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » January 24, 2016, 7:27 am

Svein66 wrote:The main reason for switching to this stadium is that the pitch is much better.
I went in to the University recently. Yes, if maintained properly and perhaps if training takes place at another venue, the pitch should be a big improvement. At present, it's newly-laid, reasonable quality turf, but requires work with, I would think, a not too-heavy roller to flatten it.
The move is interesting. I do hope the Club has given considerable thought as to needed additional quality seating, security, away fans, toilets, food and drink vendors, refuse, parking, pitch readiness and maintenance, training venue, traffic access to main road, clashes with University needs(why it was presumably built in the first place) etc. It could turn out very good, but lots to think about and do!

Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » January 28, 2016, 9:03 pm

10 days until UDFC kicks off the season away to Mukdahan Lamkhong. Then there will be another awaygame the weekend after, and in the 3rd game they will finally play at home (Feb 20/21). Except for the opening day, the fixture list looks to be a secret, as I haven`t seen any clubs publishing it yet.

The draw for the League Cup was held today, without UDFC amongst the teams in the bowl. Six days ago they was going to enter, according to the team manager, but they must have changed their mind.

So far it seems as there`s at least 17 players in the squad, but there are several unknown faces in training that probably will be added in the coming days. There are room for 3 more foreigners, and there`s at least one unknown white guy training with the team now.

This is what the squad looks like today:
http://www.englishudfc.com/subdet83.htm

Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » January 30, 2016, 12:00 pm

The fixture list finally came this morning, and can be seen in English here: :D
http://www.englishudfc.com/subdet84.htm

phen
udonmap.com

Post by phen » January 30, 2016, 2:33 pm

Happy that the midweek games are away games.

Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » January 31, 2016, 5:53 pm

27 players got confirmed by the club yesterday, for the coming season. Those who are interested can see more about them here:
http://www.englishudfc.com/subdet83.htm

There will probably be more players coming in the next few days, as there are more players on trial right now. Expect a couple of foreigners signing before the transfer window ends.

Svein66
udonmap.com

Post by Svein66 » February 1, 2016, 9:18 pm

It`s been a busy Monday at UDFC. 3 new players is signed, all looking as good players, 2 of them foreigners.
It`s clear that UDFC is using more money on players this season, as several has previously done really well in D1, so hopefully the year will end with promotion. :D

The squad is now at 30 players. All can be seen at the link in the post above.

neeemu
udonmap.com

Post by neeemu » February 1, 2016, 11:39 pm

Anyone know if Children's football shirts are available? I know there's a shop in town, which I intend to visit soon but will be taking my 4 yr old to his first game as he's getting into the sport and I'm sure he'd love to wear the luminous home shirt to match the team.

Return to “Sports, Leisure and Adventure in Udon Thani”