VAR; Standard of refereeing & coaching of simulation.

Sports, Leisure and Adventure for the active minded. (Udon Thani related topics only)
mathusalah80
udonmap.com

VAR; Standard of refereeing & coaching of simulation.

Post by mathusalah80 » August 12, 2020, 1:18 pm

There has been a great deal of media talk, and carefully scripted comments from the governing bodies on these subjects, but no definitive proposals from the latter, and no constructive alternatives offered by the former, of improving the situations.
VAR has been glaringly defective in the easiest decisions, (instance of occasion where three matches,played on the same day, all were all shown to include decisions which affected the final results, and which had a bearing on the outcome of the finishing positions,
Has the standard of refereeing declined or been improved knowing that VAR assistance is at hand? Or are referees opting out of the decision making, which should be in their domain , and passing it on to VAR? Are they also reluctant to enforce properly the laws and penalties prescribed under the laws of he game.
My personal pet hate within this last mention, is the now standard requirement of all Managers they their players be coached the art ( :-s ) of simulation. Woe betide the player who misses the opportunity to simulate a foul, whether to obtain a penalty, of have an opponent sent off. My second pet hate, in this area, is that of players simulating they have received a kick in the head when, all too frequently, there has been no contact anywhere near their head! [-X .
I have mentioned only a small number of the mirage of changes, I feel are having a major impact on the game.
I pose the question of members whether they feel such changes have improved, or adversely affected , the game as we once knew it?
In the past, Messrs Zidine & Statto have been known to express, (clearly :lol: ), stated views on these matters. I hope they will both take this opportunity to express them in greater depth. [-o<

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Re: VAR; Standard of refereeing & coaching of simulation.

Post by dunroaming » August 12, 2020, 2:27 pm

In many instances it's taken away the thrill for the crowds that watch avidly and express their own decisions quite hillariously at times, now it's quiet mouths watching a screen for the decision to be made

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » August 12, 2020, 2:53 pm

dunroaming wrote:
August 12, 2020, 2:27 pm
In many instances it's taken away the thrill for the crowds that watch avidly and express their own decisions quite hillariously at times, now it's quiet mouths watching a screen for the decision to be made
Good point. =D>

dunroaming
udonmap.com

Post by dunroaming » August 12, 2020, 3:30 pm

I believe football has become too clinical now especially with the introduction of VAR, certainly not the game of old we used to enjoyed tremendously. I would have loved to have seen a Leeds United game from the 70's played with VAR or even an old firm match the stats would have been hilarious.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » August 12, 2020, 4:21 pm

IMO the standard of refereeing n officials (linesmen) in general have been on the decline in recent years .. now possibly as poor as ever ive seen .. VAR doenst help and definately interupts play and Dr s comments ref the trill.of the crowd are accurate ish ..

Nit sure im.too pleased about the footy resuming with my team in a very bad spot .. mainly youth team n apprentices with a handfull.of contracted player no body else wanted ..all the better players sold sadly most to our L2 opponents ..

Oh yeah and scunny are still managerless with no one interested working under chairman swann and looking at his sacking history who can blame them ..

Dm
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 12, 2020, 5:51 pm

The refs will be using the pitch side monitors next season ..... so one glaring failure corrected at least

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 13, 2020, 7:55 am

I could understand VAR for tennis where it is easy to install and can provide an accurate result ball over line etc. BHut in Football, you had Linesmen and a moving Ref , mistakes were made but not as often as now , it has taken the fun and enjoyment out of a game where in my book the protagonists are overpaid and the game has fallen into being disrepute because of the way it is run.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » August 13, 2020, 7:55 am

I could understand VAR for tennis where it is easy to install and can provide an accurate result ball over line etc. BHut in Football, you had Linesmen and a moving Ref , mistakes were made but not as often as now , it has taken the fun and enjoyment out of a game where in my book the protagonists are overpaid and the game has fallen into being disrepute because of the way it is run.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » August 13, 2020, 2:44 pm

dunroaming wrote:
August 12, 2020, 3:30 pm
I believe football has become too clinical now especially with the introduction of VAR, certainly not the game of old we used to enjoyed tremendously. I would have loved to have seen a Leeds United game from the 70's played with VAR or even an old firm match the stats would have been hilarious.
You're right. If VAR had been in place, we would have won 2 more league titles, one more FA Cup, the European Cup and the ECWC. Appalling refereeing cost us each time :D

VAR is a crazy idea for football where, by the nature of the game, there are grey areas. Tennis, cricket etc benefit from it because there is clarity in the interpretation of rules/laws. Goal line technology, yes but there are always going to be circumstances where fairness goes out of the window with the strict application of the rules.

My view has always been that, if VAR is to be used, it should be done on a restricted challenge basis by the Managers (as per NFL and cricket).

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 13, 2020, 4:53 pm

^ Wholeheartedly agree with that last paragraph. The three game officials and the manager make the calls for a review of play and for the latter, it's capped so he can't waste time with speculation.

These game interruptions and decisions by a faceless official in a darkened room up to 300 miles away that ultimately counter all the eyeballs on the field is beyond a joke. The quality of refereeing had been sliding before VAR was introduced and it won't make them get any better IMHO.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » August 13, 2020, 6:10 pm

^
And, of course you agree with the first paragraph too :D

dragonz
udonmap.com

Post by dragonz » August 14, 2020, 7:04 am

Vars is ok its the rules that are bad . This disallowing a goal as someones hand or toe is offside is crazy
Why dont the make it so a player has to have a clear space between himself and the defender to be offside .
If vars had been here a year earlier perhaps cardiff city would still be in the premiership as the decisions in their last few games were disgracefull esp against burnley and chelsea . Chelsea who had a player yards offside was pretty bad

caducus
udonmap.com

Post by caducus » August 14, 2020, 12:16 pm

The Beautiful Game.
Many changes have taken place since Bobby Moore raised the World Cup above his shoulders.
The game is now played in front of all-seater stadiums (and once fans are allowed back this will continue).
Water-logged pitches are now a thing of the past – even on Hackney Marshes.
Dietary considerations no longer have to be imposed on players. They are now anxious to keep as fit as possible and maintain a sensible diet themselves.
The modern footballer is every part a dedicated athlete as Simone Biles (the American gymnast), Mo Farah, Geraint Thomas, and Serena Williams.
VAR is sorely needed. It is in its very early days but should continue to help a referee. That man who somehow has to endeavour to keep up with the play, be impartial, be firm but at the same time earn the respect of all players, know how people might take advantage of him and guard against that, know all the rules, and make decisions within a few seconds.
But we do need a clarification of the offside rule. How about if daylight is visible between the attacking player and the last defender. It would then no longer possible for a fingernail or a shoulder-blade to be adjudged offside.
VAR could also clarify whether or not a player has dived.
Get used to it. It is here to stay and can only get better and better.

“Come gather round people wherever you roam,
And admit that the waters around you have grown,
And accept it that soon you’ll be drenched to the bone,
If your time to you is worth saving,
Then you’d better start swimming or you’ll sink like a stone,
For the times they are a-changing."

Still true now after 56 years.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » August 14, 2020, 1:47 pm

caducus wrote:
August 14, 2020, 12:16 pm
But we do need a clarification of the offside rule. How about if daylight is visible between the attacking player and the last defender. It would then no longer possible for a fingernail or a shoulder-blade to be adjudged offside.
Good point indeed. When goal line technology requires that the entire ball should have crossed the goal line before it's adjudged a goal then yes, the whole body being offside rather than a pinkie finger would be a good definition.

Now how about the variable placement of the ball for corner kicks? When I were a lad the ball had to be centered anywhere on the arc, ie. the ball's point of contact with the ground firmly on the white paint, sawdust or whatever. Now it's a bit more unclear with any part of the ball being adjudged as being 'over' the arc which can surely only be confirmed by the linesman standing over the ball and looking down which few seem to do. I know it's only ~ 6" difference but WHY the difference? Some of the camera angles may be deceptive but some are easily a whole ball circumference away from the arc.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 14, 2020, 7:20 pm

and they STILL can't get it beyond the first man

Return to “Sports, Leisure and Adventure in Udon Thani”