The Changing Face of Udon Thani - Udon Magazine Issue 5

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
lee
udonmap.com

The Changing Face of Udon Thani - Udon Magazine Issue 5

Post by lee » February 23, 2009, 4:03 pm

The Changing Face of Udon Thani
By Dennis Walker © Udonmap.com (Magazine Issue 5 April May 2008)

THE EMERGENCE OF SAMPANTAMIT ROAD as, potentially, the future centre of western farang nightlife, has been quite remarkable. Because of the imminent demise of ‘Farang Alley, existing bar owners and new arrivals seeking to open a nightspot, having been looking elsewhere. With its close proximity to the CBD, Sampantamit has proved to be the favourite location of choice. There are now no fewer than ten bars;. In addition the Irish Clock has opened a small bar, immediately adjoining the hotel, in addition to its restaurant/bar inside. Then there is Nobi’s excellent and popular restaurant/bar, combining the best of both worlds. John’s Bar continues to grow in popularity , and the spacious Orange Moon bar has recently had installed a larger than life TV, where sports fanatics can enjoy their favourite sport in comfort, and also installed a slate topped pool table.

Approximately half way down the road, a block of four, wood and class bars have been built and are already occupied and trading. The Thai owned Meeting Place, which is the bar fronting the road, has discovered an innovative and additional use for its toilet facilities, thus endorsing Thailand’s reputation of being prepared to go to any lengths both to please tourists, and to turn a profit. The E3 Bar, which is at the rear and run by Colin and his wife, appears to be catering mainly for those of us who like to enjoy a social drink and a chat with our friends in relaxed surroundings, to the accompaniment of background music. The third bar is again Thai owned with Thai food as the speciality, although they are prepared to furnish Western food, upon request. Other than the occasional Thai customers, there seldom seems to be anyone eating there, and it is my personal opinion, with the Irish Clock and Nobis providing serious competition for any available farang customers, this business faces a difficult task to survive.

Bar Code, which adjoins Nobis, is looking to develop as a Bar/restaurant, with the emphasis on Thai food. To date, the business seems to be attracting a mainly Thai clientele. Pla Bar appears to have a group of regular Thai and French customers and happy to jog along on that basis. Ice Bar, at the corner of the road, doesn’t appear to be as busy as it was under the previous owners. Based upon feedback I have received from local farangs, maybe the girls could be a little friendlier in their attitudes, and spend less time on their mobile telephones and caring for dogs. Generally, the atmosphere in this Road, is certainly seems much less frenetic, friendlier and inviting than is Farang Alley. That the various bars and restaurants are scattered in groups along the road, and not bunched tightly together, as in Farang Alley, is a contributing factor.

TOP MANSION obviously believes in the business potential of Sampantamit Road. The proprietors have brought forward their plans to build a second guesthouse in the road, and which they now plan to have completed by the end of this year. While intending to maintain the excellent value and service offered at the existing premises, it is their intention to go slightly up market with the new project. As a sign of their seriousness, the group of old buildings, also previously trading as bars, have now been demolished, and foundation work for the new building, is already underway.

NEW SMOKING REGULATIONS came into force with effect from 12 February last. It will come as no surprise to veteran ex-pats, the news received from several proprietors, that officials have visited them with the news that they are to be allowed a couple of months grace within which to ‘make the necessary adjustments’. I will leave my readers (and the aforesaid proprietors), to work that one out for themselves!

D2. Udon Thani’s newest and largest entertainment centre, has now been up and running for some three months. The pattern emerging, as I see it, is that it is attracting, and indeed is intended to attract, (to steal a Western expression) Thai Yuppies, of which Udon Thani has an ever increasing number. Bearing in mind the ownership is predominantly comprised of the Grand, and associates, this is not really surprising. The D2 is never going to be a threat to the local Thai discos and nightspots, which are continuing to flourish. So also, upon my visiting it a couple of times, I formed the opinion the management is not too fussed about attracting any farang clientele, and that just maybe, the opposite is the case. However, check it out yourself and let me know what you think.

STEVE & MALEE DO IT AGAIN. One of Udon Thani’s longest serving, and most popular, business couples, are living proof, if it was ever needed, that there is no substitute for experience and know-how, in the hospitality business. This they have in abundance but, even more importantly, they are currently demonstrating that quality of product, combined with old fashioned courtesy and respect for the customer, are guarantees of success in any area of business, but most certainly in the Hospitality industry. For several years, “The Irish Clock Guesthouse, Bar & Restaurant” had muddled along barely noticed. It certainly had not ever posed much of a threat to other similar establishments. In the less than two years since taking over, Steve & Malee have changed the situation dramatically. Using this almost perfect replica of an old style English pub, with its wood panelling comfortable seating and relaxed ambience as a basis, they have reinforced that attraction by presenting a menu of which any pub would be proud. Very many regular customers at their previous restaurant have happily returned to the fold, to enjoy Malee’s cooking, and the company of old friends. That their previously traditional ‘Sunday Roasts’ are still up to standard is testified by the fact that the restaurant is consistently filled to capacity every Sunday. That they are dispelling the fallacy of the unpopularity of English fare, was demonstrated when a visiting American friend of mine, startled me by ordering “Bangers & Mash please” when we dined there together last Sunday! In the spacious area, out the back they have developed an alfresco dining area, complete with four salsas, and surrounded by an impressive array of pot plants. This cleverly overcomes the new non-smoking law, which of course they will be obliged to ensure is observed inside. Finally, in the likely event that you have never had the experience in Thailand of dining in a restaurant where there is neither a TV nor a stereo bursting your eardrums, then the Irish Clock is the place for you to eat. There you can be assured the sociable hum of conversation, is louder than the soothing background music. Enjoy!

NEW LUXURY HOTEL SOON. As further evidence, as if it was needed, that Udon Thani is among, if not THE, fastest growing area in Thailand, the Royal Siam hotel group is forging ahead with its plans to build a five star hotel here. It is to be located adjoining the ring road, and just across from the Big C shopping complex. The ground work has already been completed and the foundations are about to be laid. Judging from the size of the area of land being utilized, it appears the intention is to make the hotel a major landmark in Udon. Let’s hope, the group’s faith in the potential of Udon Thani, as a major tourist and business area, proves justified.

CHAIBUPPHA RESTAURANT BAR. The sad news from proprietor Uri, is that he has closed this business, is selling off all the equipment, and will be surrendering the premises to the landlord sometime in April of this year. If any readers are interested in looking at any of the remaining equipment or furniture, they should contact Uri direct. Meantime, good luck to Uri, in his future plans.

SHOPPING ECONOMICS. I don’t know if any of my regular ex-pat readers have been keeping a check on steadily rising shopping cost, over the last couple of years. My own estimate is that my shopping bill has risen by somewhere in the region of a startling 35%! I pass on the following information and suggestion, to the few non millionaires among you. Macro stocks virtually all the food, toiletries, household items and drink items which are regularly, and even occasionally, included in my weekly shopping list. Overall an identical shopping list of purchases in Macro if repeated in one of the other retail main shopping centres, I estimate would show an increased expenditure of between at least 5/7%. That is not taking into account that, if you are in possession of a Macro wholesaler’s card (which is not really all that difficult to obtain if you use a reasonable amount of intelligence) and pay in cash, you receive an additional discount, resulting in an even larger saving. By both bulk buying and shopping from a prepared shopping list, I have calculated I am averaging a saving in shopping expenditure, of roughly Bt.350, or in the region of Bt.18,000 per annum. If you have the patience, and are conscience of the need these days to be a ‘thinking shopper’, so as not to be conned, why not check this out yourself

Return to “Society and culture”