lottery alarm

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
parrot
udonmap.com

lottery alarm

Post by parrot » February 16, 2010, 2:22 pm

I have to tell this story before the lottery numbers are picked today at 3PM.

During my Thai/English class today with a neighbor, I was explaining how the alarm key on one's vehicle could be used as a form of home security.....at night, for example, if an intruder were to enter your home, you could potentially scare the intruder away by activating your vehicle's security alarm. I demonstrated this to my neighbor a few times while sitting quite some distance, and around the corner, from my parked truck. When I pressed the alarm button on my key, the alarm sounded and the headlights flashed. Our gardener, unaware of my demonstration with my neighbor, was nearby the truck and became frightened when he heard the alarm and saw the lights flash.........there was no one near the truck when it happened. Not once, but twice!
Shortly afterwards, my wife asked the gardener if he was going home to eat lunch.....to which he replied, "I'm not eating lunch today......I'm going to buy a lottery number. " He explained what had happened (my wife was not aware of my alarm demonstration).......then told my wife he was going to buy 95 (the last two digits of our license) as well as 59 (what's known as upstairs/downstairs).
So if the last two digits of today's lottery is 95 or 59, my hat's off to my gardener, and I'll swallow my pride next time I consider criticizing the Thai style of picking lottery numbers.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Re: lottery alarm

Post by Aardvark » February 17, 2010, 5:03 pm

Parrot, please tell me he won =D> =D> :D

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 17, 2010, 5:05 pm

He didn't win the two digit one Aa... Numbers were 30

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 17, 2010, 7:22 pm

I was hoping he'd win as well......he could use the money.

There seems to be no shortage of ways the Thais pick their lottery numbers.....dreams, baby powder on trees, new license plates. I've seen diners meditate on a lottery vendor's offerings for several minutes before either waving him/her off or buying a number. Back in the days when I'd buy an occasional lottery offering in the US, I opted for quick picks (the computer chooses your numbers). A couple million to one any way you choose the numbers.

Return to “Society and culture”