One Stop Centre for Expats.

Thai Society and culture, Living in Thailand.
Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » February 23, 2013, 10:15 am

I was invited to a meeting at City Hall, the Mayor chaired the meeting, the City Council wants to have a One Stop Information Centre for expats living or just moved here in Udon. The idea is to have all information needed to make life here easier. Example, get all the information for obtaining driving licence, yellow book, medical care, bank account, getting connected up to utilities.

They asked me to put the idea to us expats living in Udon Thani ask what contructive suggestions you may have.

Udon Thani, best seen through your car's rear view mirror.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 23, 2013, 10:22 am

I can't see that it could be bad idea Prenders.
The need for it to be kept up to date as far as information goes needs stressing to them however.
I can't imagine anything more annoying then to go & ask for advice, follow it & then be told by the Bank, Immigration etc. 'Oh, that has changed now'... :( :evil:

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » February 23, 2013, 10:59 am

P88 ...is this connected in any way to the efforts made by Tom a few weeks/months back ref an information /advice center ? .... anything that makes life here easier is worth a go imo ,,, tho as pointed out bu Bob the rules n regs do seem to change like the wind and can be frustrating ..........

one area that would be of use is simplyfying the mountain of red tape when forming a working /trading company and the licencing / work permits etc that goes with it all ,,, i know of at least two that have decided not to open up businesses here because of it ,, one of these being quite a large factory in turn my om experiences made my blood pressure rise ,,, during the initial set up and recent move of CC .......they just love their paperwork .

Good luck with it Prenders

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » February 23, 2013, 11:17 am

At the meeting yesterday I not made aware that Tom is involved with this project.
This is from the Governers Office and is being set up by the Mayor.
Thanks for your input Jon.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 23, 2013, 12:22 pm

Good idea, BUT and this is a BIG BUT, as mentioned they need to ensure all information is correct and that their staff can actually communicate in a language that evveeryone understands clearly. No some half assed attempt at speaking the International language but people who are good communicators as well.

Perra
udonmap.com

Post by Perra » February 23, 2013, 7:11 pm

Great if done properly!

An small example of what could be done better; The Immigration have a leaflet which states what's necessary to apply for a "marriage extension" and they gladly hand it over when someone ask for information. But still after (at least) two years,no information (in English) that a witness is mandatory when you apply

The regulation is "clear", everybody at the IM knows it but still fail to inform....

So, if done it has to be a high level of the service/information, otherwise I think we better without.

Don't misunderstand me, I support this 100 % - if done properly

dingdong
udonmap.com

Post by dingdong » February 23, 2013, 7:20 pm

Would love to see anything that would help others and I myself am willing to help along.
Would also encourage others that teach languages English, German, Italian, etc wether in schools or their off time to step up to the plate and help

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Post by harmonyudon » February 24, 2013, 1:00 am

Perra wrote:....But still after (at least) two years,no information (in English) that a witness is mandatory when you apply
Mod Note: Off topic comment removed.
Don't be a loser, don't comment on others if u haven't achieved a thing.
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

trekkertony
udonmap.com

Post by trekkertony » February 24, 2013, 1:24 am

Mod Note: Off topic comment removed

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Post by harmonyudon » February 24, 2013, 1:34 am

Mod note: off topic comment removed

The subject is One Stop Centre for Expats and the Op is asking for suggestions for that Centre.
Don't be a loser, don't comment on others if u haven't achieved a thing.
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 24, 2013, 6:18 am

There is a need for correct information, however let us be honest, Thais don't get any useful information so do you honestly think we will. The idea is sound, run correctly would be advantageous, however after a few years here one does become cynical.
I cannot for the life of me imagine a centyre pourely for expats of various nations being set up to inform expats of immigration rules, tax and social security rules or even other matters appertaining to living here, when the rules of each change with occasional swiftness and I doubt if Thai mindset is ready or even capable of updating as fast as the rules change.
I consider it is p[olitical ploy as a sop to the expat community, but as so often the sound bites are excellent but the actual work willbe a work in prgress for a few years yet. There will be NO cash revenue for this so it will be dead money , and unless they can make afew baht from this it will die, of that I am sure. The TAT office already set up could provide vast amounts of information but unless they have changed dramacitcally in the last 6 months are another place where inormation is not only outdated but is in Thai which says a lot for the TAT office and also their staff Englsih is poor to say the least.
So wonderful idea I will keep crossing my fingers it will come about but the cynic in me , is less hopeful.

Perra
udonmap.com

Post by Perra » February 24, 2013, 7:01 am

Perra wrote:
....But still after (at least) two years,no information (in English) that a witness is mandatory when you apply

In US, USA or AUS are there info in THAI? Why dont you learn Thai if you live here????

Will not comment this brilliant refection cos my mom told me to always be nice to strangers and I sure cant imagine anyone stranger...

downunder
udonmap.com

Post by downunder » February 24, 2013, 7:32 am

In Australia when you go to any Government Office you will get a brochure with many Languages printed on it explaining what is available at that office, Pension [Centerlink] Motor Registration etc. The Australian Government spend thousands of Dollars on communication. It is not uncommon to have 15-20 different languages printed on a Brochure in many offices

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » February 24, 2013, 8:36 am

downunder wrote:In Australia when you go to any Government Office you will get a brochure with many Languages printed on it explaining what is available at that office, Pension [Centerlink] Motor Registration etc. The Australian Government spend thousands of Dollars on communication. It is not uncommon to have 15-20 different languages printed on a Brochure in many offices
The same in the UK, I informed the Chair of this, at Fridays meeting.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » February 24, 2013, 8:57 am

what about suggest to have some ex pats on the staff..
I dont care if volunteers, part timers, or they get paid abit of tea money for their efforts..
then ex pats would have perhaps a good english communicator, as well as have our finger on the pulse of farang /thai /mayoral things..

I know myself, being of two cultures, that my brown colored family doesnt think anywhere near my white colored family.
you can give the Mayor / thai's ideas about ex pats things, but do they really know what we need or expect, or think..
having a bloke in the office, he can pick up and point out matters like, ' not up to date ' infomation..

its a good idea the Mayor has. Indeed, I am still lost on a number of everyday issues, where to go for things, etc etc, but I do think they would need some in house guidance, even just to get the center up and running smoothly..The mayor wants our opinions because he doesnt know what farang want, or think, so without some hands on assistance from ex pats, I do think the center will become like alot of other places you walk into, where you get a puzzled look, a oyiiiiiiiii...or get a 'go NongKhai '

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 24, 2013, 9:49 am

With reference to expats helping, under THAI LAW if you do any work, be it paid, volunteer or just plain helping then you are working.

This is the case of the THAI Govt shooting itself in the foot; they need help but make sure we can't help, then they complain because we complain.

// Mod Note: Edited and revised for clarity. //

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » February 24, 2013, 10:41 am

maaka wrote:what about suggest to have some ex pats on the staff..
I dont care if volunteers, part timers, or they get paid abit of tea money for their efforts..
then ex pats would have perhaps a good english communicator, as well as have our finger on the pulse of farang /thai /mayoral things..

I know myself, being of two cultures, that my brown colored family doesnt think anywhere near my white colored family.
you can give the Mayor / thai's ideas about ex pats things, but do they really know what we need or expect, or think..
having a bloke in the office, he can pick up and point out matters like, ' not up to date ' infomation..

its a good idea the Mayor has. Indeed, I am still lost on a number of everyday issues, where to go for things, etc etc, but I do think they would need some in house guidance, even just to get the center up and running smoothly..The mayor wants our opinions because he doesnt know what farang want, or think, so without some hands on assistance from ex pats, I do think the center will become like alot of other places you walk into, where you get a puzzled look, a oyiiiiiiiii...or get a 'go NongKhai '

The idea behind the One Stop Project is to help us settle in to life in Udon and make us part of the community.
Work permits will not be a problem for expat volunteers, they will get them.
Suggestion boxes and forms, are going to be placed around Udon. More information when I have it.

Tafia
udonmap.com

Post by Tafia » February 24, 2013, 10:51 am

P88 ...is this connected in any way to the efforts made by Tom a few weeks/months back ref an information /advice center ? ....
Yes Mash it was certainly on the list of ideas that Tom showed me when I enquired about what he was trying to achieve after reading his posts on here.
Im pleased to see in the whole members are embracing this idea rather than condemning it out of hand which is what happened to Tom along with the insults.
Anything that makes life a little easier for expats in my opinion should be welcomed. Good luck to all involved.

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » February 24, 2013, 10:57 am

Tafia wrote:
P88 ...is this connected in any way to the efforts made by Tom a few weeks/months back ref an information /advice center ? ....
Yes Mash it was certainly on the list of ideas that Tom showed me when I enquired about what he was trying to achieve after reading his posts on here.
Im pleased to see in the whole members are embracing this idea rather than condemning it out of hand which is what happened to Tom along with the insults.
Anything that makes life a little easier for expats in my opinion should be welcomed. Good luck to all involved.
Agreed Tafia .. mainly positive replies n feedback , lets hope something comes of it ,,, goes without saying good luck Prenders.

dingdong
udonmap.com

Post by dingdong » February 24, 2013, 11:46 am

Count me in to help and for those that dont want to see it go, then they dont have to use it.
I cant seem to understand why certain people condem a suggestion before it even unfolds.
For the others lets hear your POSITIVE ideas and build on them from there

Return to “Society and culture”